Dating: Not just for the carbon isotopes

TerraPrime

I can see your point, but also I think there is something to be said for a willingness to change. Not everything all the time, but taking your partner's desires into consideration is part of developing a relationship. I just thought your example was funny because my boyfriend hates when I fart in front of him (and he doesn't in front of me), and so I make an effort to step out of the room when I can. I could insist that he must smell my farts all the time and deal with it, but I care about his feelings. And he puts up with my incredible stinky sleep-farts with great humor. :)

I could never leave the room every time I had to fart, I may as well just stay out there all day :lol:

Theda, I think Luke & I covered the snippy thing. But yes you're right, if someone I started dating told me I can't smoke in my own home, I'd tell them to fuck right off. Smokers are demonised - it reminds me of that South Park episode, where the kids went round the hall of tolerance or whatever, and then the adults stepped outside and shouted at a bunch of smokers to go away. We must be tolerant of everything else, but smokers are the devil. Sigh.

This smoking thing is probably getting to be a topic for another thread, but I don't think tolerance of other people's beliefs or lifestyles really equates to tolerance of being forced to inhale other people's secondhand carcinogens.

This smoking thing is probably getting to be a topic for another thread, but I don't think tolerance of other people's beliefs or lifestyles really equates to tolerance of being forced to inhale other people's secondhand carcinogens.

Yeah, fine. This went on much longer than I wanted it to anyway.

I don't often post in these threads, but I'm in a venting mood. Had a date last night, we met online and had been texting for a little while. It did not go well. First of all, she looked nothing like her pictures. Which is annoying, but whatever, that's not really a big deal. Much more importantly, there was just nothing there; no spark, no chemistry, I don't think any attraction. She seemed nice enough and we had a pleasant conversation for a while, and then went our separate ways; almost certain to never talk again.

And that's it. Honestly, there's nothing to really complain about. I'm just disappointed because we seemed to be really connecting when we were talking by text before. And I had probably higher hopes than I should've because it was my first date in a couple months, which I totally get is my own fault.

And that's it. Honestly, there's nothing to really complain about. I'm just disappointed because we seemed to be really connecting when we were talking by text before. And I had probably higher hopes than I should've because it was my first date in a couple months, which I totally get is my own fault.

Yeah, had that happen to me too last week. Based on her profile and our conversations on text, I thought we would hit it off pretty well, but there was nothing there at all. It's sort of a disconnect really when you get along really well through text and then when you finally meet said person, it just doesn't go as you hoped. Either ways, good luck with your next date. 

As for the smoking bit, which I know people don't really want to discuss further, but for me ( even as someone who hasn't smoked and wouldn't like it in a partner ) I would find it very difficult to end a serious relationship just because of smoking. I won't be happy about it though, that's for certain. 

My date with the Paper Towns Girl went really well. After a brief tour of the city, we sat at this place (essentially, the sea crashes against the rocks so it creates organ-like sounds) for an hour and half and talked, then went to see the movie, which was good(would have been better for me if I didn't know the book by heart, cause the book is fantastic). Went a bit around town after that, had some pizza(well, I did. There wasn't any of the type she wanted at that moment), then sat at a bench on the old walls of the town. The last part was the best, actually - I now know what sloppy make-outs mean, after all.

I really like her. She's quirky, good-humoured, pretty. The only thing I'm a bit bummed out is that, at best, I'm going to be able to see her once a month.

Well, had a HUGE gig last night playing in front of 200k people and we absolutely killed it.  A girl came up after to sort of gush, so I invited her for drinks w/ a few of the band members.  Stayed out 'til 2, got her number, and have a date set up for tonight to teach her how to string up her new acoustic guitar and get some dinner/drinks after.  This has probably been the best week I've had in about 5 years.  Life is awesome.

How did you end up playing for 200k?

City of Minneapolis Aquatennial.  Top 5 fireworks in the country and we were headlining.  People as far as you can see.  It was pretty amazing.

It depends on HOW one doesn't "look like their pictures." Of course, everyone is going to choose the most flattering angle, and many people use filters and such.

I use one modeling pic (my Facebook profile pic) but otherwise stick to casual shots and I do have one no-makeup selfie, because unless we're going to the opera, I'm not going to be wearing makeup or having my hair professionally done.

If someone is 5 pounds over, I'm not going to quibble. Camera angles, etc.

Only if someone is unrecognizable will I be like, what?

This photo was at least 5 years, 50 pounds, 1 hair color, and a whole lot less freckles ago. Barely looked like her at all.

I could've gotten past it if the rest of the date went really well, but it did not.

Went on a date with a fwlla qho had really bulgy eyes. Really bulgy. I expected them to pop out on stalks at some point. Not a dealbreaker but VERY SURPRISING. I took out my contact lensea for dinner and after that he looked like Cybil Shephard.

Edit: sorry about typos. On phone. Lady is shopping. It's going very well.

It's kind of a big deal not looking like your pictures imo. It's just lying from the start.

Yeah, I agree. It just tells me that the person is very insecure with themselves and disingenuous, not someone I'd particularly want to spend time with or feel inclined to trust much.

I'm not so sure about online dating. Don't think its for me, I think I'd just rather meet people out and about. One thing I seem to be picking up is that women are quite warm and appreciative of respectful and complimentary meetings. The issue for me just now is a) building up the willpower to make an approach b. actually asking her to meet again, get her contact details, or go somewhere. My experience is that I *can* approach when I push myself, but I can never quite pop the question. I'm pretty much fine with the conversing with people. I really need to push myself that little bit further and just ask though. Maybe next time I meet someone I like.  :blushing: 

Yeah, I agree. It just tells me that the person is very insecure with themselves and disingenuous, not someone I'd particularly want to spend time with or feel inclined to trust much.

I'm not so sure about online dating. Don't think its for me, I think I'd just rather meet people out and about. One thing I seem to be picking up is that women are quite warm and appreciative of respectful and complimentary meetings. The issue for me just now is a) building up the willpower to make an approach b. actually asking her to meet again, get her contact details, or go somewhere. My experience is that I *can* approach when I push myself, but I can never quite pop the question. I'm pretty much fine with the conversing with people. I really need to push myself that little bit further and just ask though. Maybe next time I meet someone I like.  :blushing: 

That is exactly how I feel.

City of Minneapolis Aquatennial.  Top 5 fireworks in the country and we were headlining.  People as far as you can see.  It was pretty amazing.

Nice man.  I'm bummed I missed it this year.

Went on a date with a fwlla qho had really bulgy eyes. Really bulgy. I expected them to pop out on stalks at some point. Not a dealbreaker but VERY SURPRISING. I took out my contact lensea for dinner and after that he looked like Cybil Shephard.

Edit: sorry about typos. On phone. Lady is shopping. It's going very well.

Eyes that look like they're going to pop out on stalks would be a dealbreaker for me. I guess I'm too judgmental. :(

Nice man.  I'm bummed I missed it this year.

It was hoppin.  The event coordinator said that she had never seen so many people dancing before and we're already signed on to play again next year.  We also had Tim Mahoney open for us, which is just crazy.

Date last night went off w/out a hitch.  Got over my fear to make a move and just went w/ it.  Planning on giving her a call later this week to see if she wants to go out again.  Also going to see if psych girl wants to go out again.  I'm really loving being single right now.  Living life for today instead of constantly looking to the future, hoping things will get better.

I told a guy (The Dude) that I am putting my dating life on hold.

Between you and me, Board, dating is starting to feel like a huge slog and No Fun. (Sure, I'm talking to one or two guys, but it's not serious. I've been off OKC and Tinder for a while. And, sure, Mr. Marine is still out there somewhere.)

So...The Dude still asking me to dinner. Kind of sounds like he can't take a hint. He says its "not a date".

I'm thinking its time to block him. Thoughts?

If you don't want to date him and aren't interested in hanging out with him as a friend, what's the point of chatting with him at all?

Nothing. He keeps hanging around after I've politely said "no" quite a few times. It's trying to be polite, I suppose. I hate coming off as rude, and I don't want to "ghost" away.

Tell him "fuck off I want nothing to do with you, you are annoying as fuck"

Exactly that.

Archived