What would Rhaegar have named Jon had he lived?

LionOfLannisport

There are two main theories I have heard. One is that Rhaegar was trying to recreate the original 3 Targs and already had a son named Aegon and daughter named Rhaenys, so when the child turned out to be a boy rather than a girl, Rhaegar could not name him Visenya, but would use a male version such as Viserys or similar variation.

A second theory is that while Rhaegar might have been trying to finalize the third head of the dragon, he did not intend to name them after the original 3 Targs. Rhaegar presumably named his first child after himself and he said in the HotU vision that Aegon is a good name for a king and thus the reason he gave his son that name. As to the clues on what Jon's name would be, there are a few that suggest his name would have been (and actually was given this name by Lyanna at his birth) of Aemon. The clues (I might have forgotten some) include that while in NW, Jon said that he was no Aemon Targaryen (in reference to the NW maester) -- so if that is his real name, it would be ironic. Jon also pretended to be Aemon the Dragonknight when he was a child. Aemon also is the one Targ name that Jon might consider to be an honor to take rather than a strange and odd name.

Personally, I think the second theory is stronger than the first -- so I believe Jon's "real" name is most likely Aemon Targaryen.

Assuming R+L=J is true and that Rhaegar had won the War of the Usurper, what Targaryen name would Rhaegar have given to Jon?

Jon Sand

Sand is the bastard surname in Dorne.  Jon was born at the Tower of Joy, near the Dornish mountains.

No Sand would not have been his surname unless he grew up there.

It would have still been Snow or Waters.

If Rhaegar lived, maybe he would have grown up there.  Actually, if Rhaegar had lived, I'm not sure what his plan was for Jon and/or Lyanna.  

Archived