New fantasy series recommendation

stark of winterfell

I never see anyone recommend The Morgaine Cycle by C.J Cherryh, so that's my suggestion. Love this trilogy, it is fantasy with the lightest edge of science fiction. Start with Gate of Ivrel.

39 year old books don't really qualify as "new" to most people, do they?

Is the wheel of time very good? I know him and GRRM are friends...

It's very very good vanilla fantasy.

As good as you can go with Good vs. Evil heroes from a farming community versus an evil overlord and one of them rising to be the Chosen One.

:)

Two series that I seldom see recommended here. Actually I don't think I've seen on them ever recommended.

The Godless World trilogy by Brian Ruckley - plenty of drama and bittersweet moments; dark world; elf-like characters; the author is Scottish so the human society has a bit of a Scottish influence (clans and such)

The Fire of Heaven and Husk (the Broken Man) trilogies by Russell Kirkpatrick - the first trilogy has a more traditional story (heroes go on a quest), the second is a bit weirder with characters from various locations drawn to the same place; quite a few complex characters; plenty of religious motifs; the author has a PhD in geography, so a lot of detail in geographic descriptions and his maps have a modern look. The two trilogies are mainly connected by the appearance of some of the same characters, Husk takes place chronologically after TFoH.

Oh so its also based on reality like ASOIAF.

How is ASOIAF based on reality and similar to WoT? Is it that both have humans interacting with each others?

Not a recommendation but I've just bought The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Really looking forward to getting stuck in.

Amazing; and what did you have for breakfast?

Archived