Why Aerys II and Rhaella lost so many children

arwyn-t

As we all know, Aerys and Rhaella were very unfortunate with children. One son, Rhaegar, born alright and then a series of tragedies. Has anyone wondered why? A possible scientific answer to this question/mystery hit me just now:

Plain old Rhesus factor and Rhesus Disease. 

Rhaella was Rhesus negative. Aerys Rhesus positive. Or some Valyrian equivalent to that. The children got to be either positive or negative.

I will spare you the medical mumbo jumbo. The simple story is that Rhaella's immune system, her blood, clashed with her babies' blood and the babies were either miscarried, stillborn or short lived. The first child, first pregnancy, when of a Rh positive child, causes the mother's immune system to fire up during birth, when mother's and baby's blood may mingle. The first baby is OK though. However, once the immune system is fired up, then every positive baby after, embryo or newborn, is recognized as foreign and its blood attacked. Only the babies after that get to have the mother's Rhesus type, negative, are alright. Every positive baby is doomed. And chances of a positive baby are larger than negative, due to the complicated Rhesus genes. 

Nowadays, this is prevented by modern medicine that gives the mother a nice injection that prevents her immune system to act against her child's blood. In Westeros though... 

I don't see what is the point of this thread. Can we test Rhaella and Aerys? No. Lysa had at least two stillborns and many miscarriages like her mother, when Rhaella had only two stillborns. After all just like in Medieval times, Westeros hadn't 21st century medicine.

Interesting. I think there could be just a simple explanation for the missarreages, stillborns and babies dying in infancy rather than some conspiracy theory or vague "incest" that seems not to have even been problem for the Targaryens before. GRRM probably mainly neened a reason for the large age difference between Rhaegar and Viserys and rather large one between him and Daenerys. The dead children became one part of why Aerys had mental issues. Not that conspiraces are impossible.

Incest seems a plausible explanation - just look at the Habsburgs - but Rhesus Positive/Negative is also a good theory. 

The infamous Don Carlos II of Spain (husband first to Marie Louise of France and latterly to Maria Anna of Neuberg) shows the consequences of decades of incest akin to that of the Targaryens, and when I first read of the Targaryens as a dynasty, my first thought was that of the Habsburgs. Carlos II was incapable of producing a dead child, never mind a live one, and was physically and psychologically affected by decades of inbreeding. 

While the Rhesus Positive/Negative theory (which has been discussed with regards to Henry VIII and the multiple still births of Catherine of Aragon and - to a lesser extent - Anne Boleyn) is a possibility, the fact is that incest and multiple cousin (never mind sibling) marriage can result in birth defects. 

It's yet another clue that Dany is not Aerys's and Rhaella's child.  :commie:

Actually, Dany's survival is evidence that Pycelle was killing the children of Aerys and Rhaella. Both Rhaegar and Dany, who were delivered by different maesters survived. The only child delivered by Pycelle that survived was Viserys and he only survived because Aerys took "crazy" measures to ensure that he would. This pattern of survival of Aerys and Rhaella's children screams out that Pycelle was killing them.

Snort.

If the babies were murdered, how did rhaegar get by? I'm sure poisoning dinner is just as easy as poisoning a baby bottle.

Rhaegar was born at Summerhall and was delivered by a different maester. After that he was at Dragonstone until Aerys became king. Rhaegar was about three years old then. Far to old and healthy for Pycelle to make it look like just another sickly infant dying.

Archived