is reading fiction beneficial?

TheSwoleOne

I want to hear your opinions on this. is reading fiction books good for you? Will it actually make you a more intelligent person? Obviously you can learn a lot more from non-fiction but is fiction beneficial as well? I read non-fiction occasionally but I often find it dull sometimes. I'm only asking because I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time reading fiction books, even though I enjoy them. I feel like it's sort of like playing video games, it's just something that passes the time and doesnt actually benefit you in any way.

Sure. At the very least, it helps develop your vocabulary and teaches you how to write. In some cases, the story may be fantastical (e.g. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulkagov or A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens), but the themes that the author is trying to get across are drawn from and directly applicable to the real world and they're well worth understanding.

I would have to agree with Ser Scot. There are a few articles out there that show how and why reading a novel is beneficial for the noggin. I love reading, fiction and non-fiction. Also love working out the brain by doing a crossword a day, especially after a long day at work. In regards to dull non-fiction, switch it up. Read about someone or something that you think wouldn't interest. I prefer reading on folks who've been dead a long time: Cicero, Genghis Khan, Magellan etc.

I've suggested to several of my more analytical team members that reading quality fiction would help their verbal and written communication skills: variety in vocabulary & metaphors, narrative structure, flow of ideas, structure of sentences and paragraphs, literary analogies and general development of non-linear thought process.

I'm reading a book called Why We Read Fiction by Lisa Zunshine, about how fiction is essentially an exercise in recursive thinking and Theory of Mind. It's fascinating, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this kind of thing.

I am pretty sure it is. But one has to take into account that many (esp. children) who already start with above average (verbal) intelligence will be drawn to reading books (and often devouring lots of them from an early age on), so the direction of causation is not always completely clear here.

It is also one of the more fun ways to stay in touch with a foreign language and improve vocabulary as well as "intuitive" grasp of grammar.

There is no Frigate like a Book  
To take us Lands away,  
Nor any Coursers like a Page  
Of prancing Poetry –   
This Traverse may the poorest take         
Without oppress of Toll –   
How frugal is the Chariot  
That bears a Human soul. 

Emily Dickinson

Why does it matter?  What sort of life is it if everything has to be worthy and full of purpose to better oneself? I read because it's fun no other reason.

N

By itself, it certainly won’t make you more intelligent, no more than watching TV, playing video games, or talking to people.

There is a tiny fraction of literature that may make you a better person. For instance, you might look to read fiction that puts you in the mind of people [i]that don’t share your values[/i] or experiences. However, I’m quite sure that this is not representative of literature—most people seem to read about characters that they can emote with, connect with, see themselves in, etc. So I guess that [i]on average[/i], fiction has an ethically and intellectually corrosive effect on you: you get better at rationalising yourself to yourself because you read well-planned fictional accounts that support your values and decisions. Basically, lies about how things ought to be. This is [i]the very appeal[/i] of most fiction.

Likewise, there are some nonfiction books that make you smarter in that they expose you to information. Again, most books seem no [i]not[/i] have that feature: I haven’t seen any numbers, but I assume there is one “self-help” book sold for every introduction to cosmology, one Malcolm Gladwell sold for every Richard Dawkins.

So I think it’s hard to establish that books are good for us. Some are, most aren’t. We read because some of us think it’s a brilliant way to spend our brief time on Earth while our bodies slowly decay.

Why does it matter?  What sort of life is it if everything has to be worthy and full of purpose to better oneself? I read because it's fun no other reason.

N

Yep. Although I do think reading good fiction has made me a better writer, I'm certainly no Jane Austen; it just makes it easier for me to communicate my thoughts.

Reading is one of my most favorite things to do. And I think that honestly, it has molded who I am and what I believe. Reading stories like Nancy Drew, Don Quixote, Sense and Sensibility, A Tale of Two Cities, To Kill a Mockingbird..all of these stories made/make me want to be a better person. They remind me of why it's important to do the right thing.

I don't even know if that makes sense, but I truly believe that reading about these wonderful, inspiring, made up people who never even existed actually made me a better person. :D

Archived