Video Games: Console War Never Changes

KiDisaster

From the last thread: 

Even if you buy new you save ~20% compared to a new console release IIRC.

And the money you save you can invest in upgrades down the road (or use it to buy chocolate).

Not exactly (at least in the US). Some games that are released at $59.99 on console are released at $49.99 on PC (So about a 16% savings) but even that's becoming less common. Most of the major publishers release at $59.99 on PC now. 

But Steam sales, F2P games, mods and indies though. 

----

Side from that. I got the old MMO itch randomly and Blizzard, ever watchful and omnipresent, conveniently sent me 7 days of free WoW time...maybe I'll get those last few levels on my warlock afterall. Stopping at 97 just feels wrong :P 

Alternatively maybe it's time to do some other story lines on SWTOR. 

Finally getting into Total War: Attila, though I don't find it any better than Rome II, as Rome II is now.

On the subject of computer upgrading, I was thinking I should be upgrading mine by the end of this year. I bought the parts for it 3 years ago.

I signed up for Win10, so I'll see what that does.

I don't have a SSD, and I probably should. I don't remember my other stuff in detail right now (I am not on my PC currently), but I have an i5 processor, nVidia GTA 550 or 560, 8GB RAM. If I upgrade this stuff, I'm pretty sure I would have to upgrade my power source, if memory serves, it's close to the limit to what all this requires.

I'd hold off on the Win10 upgrade for now. Their new policy of all updates being mandatory and installing automatically is causing some serious issues with certain hardware, most notably NVidia GPUs. NVidia are rolling out frequent patches to sort it out but who knows whether the next update will break it again or not. I've got my free upgrade ready to go but I'll be sticking to 8.1 for a couple months or so until this all gets sorted out properly. I think you've got a year to get the free upgrade so there's no rush. 

I'd hold off on the Win10 upgrade for now. Their new policy of all updates being mandatory and installing automatically is causing some serious issues with certain hardware, most notably NVidia GPUs. NVidia are rolling out frequent patches to sort it out but who knows whether the next update will break it again or not. I've got my free upgrade ready to go but I'll be sticking to 8.1 for a couple months or so until this all gets sorted out properly. I think you've got a year to get the free upgrade so there's no rush. 

hey thanks. I am always apprehensive about new Windows, but I signed up after they said that it requires less to run it than Win 8 or 7. I'm sure I'll be bombarded come July 29th with messages of "Windows is ready to install", but I'll wait.

hey thanks. I am always apprehensive about new Windows, but I signed up after they said that it requires less to run it than Win 8 or 7. I'm sure I'll be bombarded come July 29th with messages of "Windows is ready to install", but I'll wait.

I'm no computer techie, but my rule of thumb is to never be an early adopter of hardware or software. Its always better to wait a while until it becomes cheaper, higher quality, and more reliable. We've all got a full year to get Win 10 for free, I'm absolutely waiting at least a few months for them to sort out the inevitable issues.

got any links? I have four computers with win10 and nvidias and none have had any problems, so I'm kinda curious.

got any links? I have four computers with win10 and nvidias and none have had any problems, so I'm kinda curious.

It's mainly (possibly only) with SLI setups and multi-monitor setups. So if you're running single card, single screen I guess you should be fine. Lots of people posting about it on the NVidia forums and the subreddit. You can read the Forbes article on it [url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/]here.[/url]

Apparently as of yesterday NVidia's latest patch has fixed the multi-monitor screen tearing issue. Not sure about the SLI problems, and like I said there's probably gonna be a ton more Windows updates pushed out especially in the first few weeks after launch and any one of them could break something again. Makes more sense to wait it out until all the teething issues are taken care of IMO. 

Ah, that makes sense. I've had a couple multimon issues but nothing hideous. No sli.

I would say that for the vast majority of pc owners win10 will be pretty painless. There have been like 10 million installs at this point. They've gotten pretty good at it now.

Finally getting into Total War: Attila, though I don't find it any better than Rome II, as Rome II is now.

On the subject of computer upgrading, I was thinking I should be upgrading mine by the end of this year. I bought the parts for it 3 years ago.

I signed up for Win10, so I'll see what that does.

I don't have a SSD, and I probably should. I don't remember my other stuff in detail right now (I am not on my PC currently), but I have an i5 processor, nVidia GTA 550 or 560, 8GB RAM. If I upgrade this stuff, I'm pretty sure I would have to upgrade my power source, if memory serves, it's close to the limit to what all this requires.

Any thoughts on Attila so far? I've actually been playing the shit out of Rome II for the last few days.

Any thoughts on Attila so far? I've actually been playing the shit out of Rome II for the last few days.

I've been playing as the Franks, since they're one of the easier ones. I declared war on the Western Roman Empire, which resulted in me making friends with everyone else around me, so the games was easy for a time, but now the Romans are done, and the friends are becoming enemies, so I have to choose.

Better things than Rome 2:

- Better unit cards, and a return to the general portrait as a unit card

- A more interesting relation between research and development of cities and unit recruitment

- Sharper graphics

- Climate change does have an impact; factions are aggressively moving into southern territories; being at war with a distant faction is not such an unimportant threat, if that faction has a reason to migrate; I've seen armies of the Vikings factions move through the Mediterranean; it also affects a region's fertility, so you have to be careful which region you spend money on to develop it agriculturally.

- Battles are the same, but the unit banners makes it a bit better to distinguish between units

- Some nice added features to battles: forests and buildings catch fire if you're using fire projectiles. During a siege, you'll find that some streets may contain barriers that need to be destroyed in order to advance. I think, overall, sieges are better

- Agents: it's harder to get them, so fewer of them on the map, and they have a better skill development tree

Worse things than Rome 2:

- I find the factions less interesting; some are a bit too challenging, like the two Roman factions (because of territory), or the migratory factions (I haven't explored migration much, but it looks kinda tedious); or in other cases, the starting position is not that appealing

- Also, I would not recommend getting the faction DLCs unless they're at a steep discount, mainly because they're all in the same place, destined to migrate south, west or south-west

- The unit roster is less appealing, apart from archers; I'm actually playing with the Radious Mod to have more units

Other things:

- Diplomacy is kinda the same

- Everyone was happy that the family tree was back, but to be honest, I didn't find it that great; I seldom look at it, and I have no interest in all those political moves. 

- The number or armies you can recruit has dramatically increased, and I think it's influenced not just by how much territory you directly control, but also by how much territory your allies have; it can result in small factions being able to field multiple armies; not sure this is a good thing, but it can lead to some epic battles.

I've been playing as the Franks, since they're one of the easier ones. I declared war on the Western Roman Empire, which resulted in me making friends with everyone else around me, so the games was easy for a time, but now the Romans are done, and the friends are becoming enemies, so I have to choose.

Better things than Rome 2:

- Better unit cards, and a return to the general portrait as a unit card

- A more interesting relation between research and development of cities and unit recruitment

- Sharper graphics

- Climate change does have an impact; factions are aggressively moving into southern territories; being at war with a distant faction is not such an unimportant threat, if that faction has a reason to migrate; I've seen armies of the Vikings factions move through the Mediterranean; it also affects a region's fertility, so you have to be careful which region you spend money on to develop it agriculturally.

- Battles are the same, but the unit banners makes it a bit better to distinguish between units

- Some nice added features to battles: forests and buildings catch fire if you're using fire projectiles. During a siege, you'll find that some streets may contain barriers that need to be destroyed in order to advance. I think, overall, sieges are better

- Agents: it's harder to get them, so fewer of them on the map, and they have a better skill development tree

Worse things than Rome 2:

- I find the factions less interesting; some are a bit too challenging, like the two Roman factions (because of territory), or the migratory factions (I haven't explored migration much, but it looks kinda tedious); or in other cases, the starting position is not that appealing

- Also, I would not recommend getting the faction DLCs unless they're at a steep discount, mainly because they're all in the same place, destined to migrate south, west or south-west

- The unit roster is less appealing, apart from archers; I'm actually playing with the Radious Mod to have more units

Other things:

- Diplomacy is kinda the same

- Everyone was happy that the family tree was back, but to be honest, I didn't find it that great; I seldom look at it, and I have no interest in all those political moves. 

- The number or armies you can recruit has dramatically increased, and I think it's influenced not just by how much territory you directly control, but also by how much territory your allies have; it can result in small factions being able to field multiple armies; not sure this is a good thing, but it can lead to some epic battles.

Well, YOLO. I'm going for it.

Been playing Rocket League. It's simple but s lot of fun so far. Basically 3v3 soccer with cars. Arcadey controls, and you can pull off some fancy shit when you know what you're doing.

Playing the updated KOTOR II. God, I haven't been able to get this into the game since my days of playing it on Xbox. Last time I booted it up I couldn't even make it past T-3's attempt to override the security lockdown.

"Look, not that your half-naked interrogation isn't a personal fantasy of mine, but..." Ah, Atton. You always know just what to say. :)

Playing the updated KOTOR II. God, I haven't been able to get this into the game since my days of playing it on Xbox. Last time I booted it up I couldn't even make it past T-3's attempt to override the security lockdown.

"Look, not that your half-naked interrogation isn't a personal fantasy of mine, but..." Ah, Atton. You always know just what to say. :)

Planning to start a couple new playthroughs of it as well.

Thinking of downloading the "Skip Peragus" mod, the tutorial should not last several hours.

It's been announced that Mafia III will be officially announced on 5 August.

Because announcements for announcements are a thing now.

Mafia was one of the greatst games of all time. Mafia II...wasn't. It was okay, but story and characters were pretty awful compared to the first game. I'm actually glad the original devs aren't making Mafia III, since they dropped the ball so badly with II. III is instead, a bit randomly, being made by a bunch of ex-LucasArts staff whose last project was the abandoned 1313. From what we can tell, Mafia III will be set in the 1960s or 1970s, which makes sense (following up on 1 being set in the 1930s and 2 in the late 1940s/early 1950s).

Archived