Rant & Rave Without Repercussion s 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

I think it's very likely GoT will turn exactly into what Martin didn't want. A plain dumb story about good v evil. Only because these guys don't get it, and worse, they really seem to have taken a nihilistic route to arrive, in the end, at a good x evil showdown.

And that will make everything even worse. We'll have 68 episodes of this bullshit with no hope, no tender moments, just shock after shock after shock with tons of boobs in between them. Then, the last two episodes will deal with everything in a very rushed and completely unbelievable way and THE END.

That sound right! Shock, boobs, shock, boobs. Sound like it may be a bloodbath, too. More characters dead than in the books...

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean they're similar in any way! Still, tons of lessons for D&D&C (at this point I find it unfair to blame only the Ds, Cogman deserves to be named as co-perpetrator of this atrocity), not only in terms of character development, but how to handle things in general.

Like LGBTQIA characters for example. And how to centre an arc around a character's sexuality without making it tokenistic and moralising. 

Like LGBTQIA characters for example. And how to centre an arc around a character's sexuality without making it tokenistic and moralising. 

Which is why I'm hoping they stay far, far away from Sarella. Upon meeting Sam "Alleras" would be talking about girl power and probably trying to pop her tits out. She is a Sand Snake, after all.

Exactly. And there's lots of sex, but it never feels gratuitous, the characters are in love, they care about each other, and it shows. Plus, lots of male nudity as well, it's not all about the boob quota.

Which is why I'm hoping they stay far, far away from Sarella. Upon meeting Sam "Alleras" would be talking about girl power and probably trying to pop her tits out. She is a Sand Snake, after all.

I hope that as well. Especially since Sarella had always been my favourite Sand Snake. By default at first since I had trouble to differ between the older ones during my initial read and she had her separate role in Oldtown, but even now I really, really like her and look forward to her future interactions with dear Sam. In the books, not the show...

Edit: Reading all those stalwart defenses for how Ramsay could pull off his "20 good men"-stunt makes me want to see some animation with Ramsay going "I just need 20 good men" and a cut to the next morning when Stannis puts 21 heads on spikes in front of his camp while Roose watches that from the walls of Winterfell going "Well, I should have expected that to happen..."

I think there is some moralising there. Nomi's plotline in the hospital is a pretty clear allegory for parents trying to 'cure' their kids of being non-hetero or identifying gender in a way the parent can't handle.  Other agendas appear to be there as well, such as the implication no one actually scores at the extreme ends of Kinsey scale.  But they aren't hamfisted and they don't detract from the narrative itself, they are tertiary or serve to enhance the concept of what a sens8 is.  And I agree the arcs themselves are about the characters.

Its heads and shoulders above GoT atm, and while I feel like pacing in Sense8 was probably hurt by lingering too long in character moments at times, overall it was a strong effort.

Oooh, the Great Maker of B5! I'd love to watch something he's written. Didn't follow anything he's done in the meantime, simply because it was in genres I have zero interest in (horror or superheroes or something like that).

Anyway, JMS should be the opposite of "going off the rails", he's (was) all about a well-thought out story arc and characterization and such. AND good dialogue and ethics and stuff! (The last season of B5 wasn't all that good because it was approved so late in the game that he had to change the fourth season so that if it ended after that, there wouldn't be loose ends. Also, the female lead left the show so he had to write in someone else at short notice. Then s5 got approved and... well.)

Will check this show out!

PS: This is kind of on-topic because GoT has turned me to decently written shows again, most notably Babylon 5!

Mmh, sounds actually pretty interesting. J. M. Straczynski is for me always a guarantee for very decent writing.

Sansa has baggage, books and show. Stannis didn't want her in Winterfell because she was a Lannister, and on the show she is a Bolton. In the books, the Vale lords and Harry are wise to LF, and Sansa seems to be at the very least his puppet. Perhaps worse. Bran and Rickon are the true heirs before Sansa, and they don't have this baggage.

Also where I was going with this, I think something may happen to shake things up.

That's why I love Sansa the most. She's the most complex character of the series. She's definitely better fleshed out than the other Starks, who have never really interested me. Bran is starting to get interesting though.

I wish George would have put more focus on the Lannisters, like D&D have. That's one of the good things those two have done.

Yeah, my comment about being worried with it going off the rails was in regards to the Washowski brothers, not JMS.

And I didn't see Nomi's scenes at the hospital were moralising.

That's why I love Sansa the most. She's the most complex character of the series. She's definitely better fleshed out than the other Starks, who have never really interested me. Bran is starting to get interesting though.

I wish George would have put more focus on the Lannisters, like D&D have. That's one of the good things those two have done.

Do you think the Lannisters have been whitewashed?

A bit. But I personally think that GRRM overly demonized them in the books. It was a bit ridiculous. I like how D&D handle the family.

Demonized? Gosh, out of this thread!

Edit: My meaning is, grey is grey. They are no demons in the Song. Except Ramsay and Gregor. And maybe Moqorro and Victarion. I higly doubt George demonizes Jaime or Tyrion. And he tries his best to make Cersei believable in her paranoid madness. D&Ds characterization however is all over the place.

Pardon me, I do not mean to sound rude, but are you serious?

I hate the crazy-paranoid-woman trope so much. D&D have worked miracles with salvaging Cersei and turning her into a character that isn't offensive. And show-Tywin is thankfully not larger-than-life like he is in the books. And Tyrion isn't as annoying as he was in ADwD.

Sometimes GRRM tries TOO hard trying to make everyone "grey."

Do any of you think Serella / Alleras will be cast in the show?

I'm not sure. I mean, they may do it just so they can show more boobs but I can't see how they'll have her without making it obvious that's she's a woman. When I first read AFFC I had no clue who it was and only after found out when I read theories on it, although I guess they could make it obvious like they have everything else. I think it's more that I really hope they don't, because I don't trust them to treat her character with any care or sensitivity at all. 

And please remember to try and ignore the trolls :P.

I hate the crazy-paranoid-woman trope so much. D&D have worked miracles with salvaging Cersei and turning her into a character that isn't offensive. And show-Tywin is thankfully not larger-than-life like he is in the books. And Tyrion isn't as annoying as he was in ADwD.

Sometimes GRRM tries TOO hard trying to make everyone "grey."

Cersei is far from a trope character. And I don't see how she is offensive. Book Tywin is not larger then life, it's kind of an important point that he is just like everyone else. And I udnerstand Tyrion can be annoying. But atleast he is a good character, unlike St.Tyrion in the show.

Archived