Proposed London meet up August 20th?

Is there a Brotherhood Without Banners in London (UK) ? It occurs to me that my present manner of experiencing ASOIAF, i.e reading the books over and over and over (plus, of course, watching the show to various levels of satisfaction), is making me somewhat antisocial, and is also, potentially affecting my social skills. So I'm thinking I should try to reach out to whoever's out there, and perhaps turn my obsession into something a bit less isolationist.......?! Y'know, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives an' all that.

short answer  :yes.

although we don't tend to talk much about the books and show when we do meet up.   guess we have talked about them enough here?

I think its been a while since we all met up.   The best way to meet us is to suggest a date, then normally something happens.

As Pebs says: Yes. Lots of BWB in London and, more generally, is SE England. But I honestly can't remember the last time I talked about the books with anyone in the BWB (let alone the London crew).

You might want to make a trip to Belfast in September for TitanCon. That's a really expedient way to meet a bunch of BWB.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/126879-titancon-belfast-sat-26-sept-2015-with-game-of-thrones-guests-and-joe-abercrombie/

Ha yeah I'm not looking to to just sit and jabber jabber about the story, would just be good to have some friends that share my passion for it, even if it's not touched upon, y'know. All my current friends that do like it are are casual viewers of the show. I literally don't know a single other person that's read the books. I don't know how many times and by how much one person can recommend a series of books to uninterested friends!

I say HELL YEAH, you should totally come to TitanCon!

(Not that I have an ulterior motive or vested interest in the continued success of TitanCon or anything)

Okay, okay, I'm the organiser. But even so, I'm not being biased when I say it's a great convention and you'll have an amazing time and meet lots of cool, like minded fans. Definitely worth attending if you can.

With that said it is long past time we had another meet up in London and we were talking about this just a few weeks ago at Archipelacon and said we should have one soon, so let's make this thread a call for a meet up to happen some time in August. Unfortunately I'm away in Wales next week and then it's Nine Worlds convention on 7-9 August at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel at Heathrow Airport, but some time after that we should definitely arrange to meet up in central London.

How about Thursday 13 August? Does that work for anyone? Feel free to suggest another day if that works better for you and we'll go with whichever day the majority can make.

With that said it is long past time we had another meet up in London and we were talking about this just a few weeks ago at Archipelacon and said we should have one soon, so let's make this thread a call for a meet up to happen some time in August. Unfortunately I'm away in Wales next week and then it's Nine Worlds convention on 7-9 August at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel at Heathrow Airport, but some time after that we should definitely arrange to meet up in central London.

How about Thursday 13 August? Does that work for anyone? Feel free to suggest another day if that works better for you and we'll go with whichever day the majority can make.

It has been a while since we've had a London meet so I think this sounds like a good idea. I think any day around that time in August should be OK for me (as long as its before the 21st when I'm heading up to Scotland).

I know London on a weekend is unholy, but if it was a weekend, I'd actually be able to come. :)

Although weekdays are OK for me, I probably have a slight preference for a weekend.

although we don't tend to talk much about the books and show when we do meet up.   guess we have talked about them enough here?

Wait, we're meant to talk about the books and show on here? You learn something new every day...

P.S; re: TitanCon; I had a look at the lowdown, and yeah it certainly looks pretty gravy. Believe it or not, I've actually never been to a convention, of any kind, so it seems like it could be a good one to op my cherry at, what do you reckon?

x

You will not regret it. And you get to meet us in advance too.

So, I've worked out my finances and unfortunately there's very little chance I'll be able to afford a trip to Belfast right now; I am the epitome of the "struggling musician" cliche. That said, also, I think if I was going to visit Belfast and the surviving environs I'd do it when they're not filming, so there'd be more chance to get a nosey at some of the filming locations and/or sets.. They should open an attraction like the Harry Potter Studios Tour thing when they're finished.

So, I've worked out my finances and unfortunately there's very little chance I'll be able to afford a trip to Belfast right now; I am the epitome of the "struggling musician" cliche. That said, also, I think if I was going to visit Belfast and the surviving environs I'd do it when they're not filming, so there'd be more chance to get a nosey at some of the filming locations and/or sets.. They should open an attraction like the Harry Potter Studios Tour thing when they're finished.

The TitanCon Coach Tour happens every year on the Sunday.  We go to lots of the filming locations - This years tour  http://www.titancon.com/2015/coach_tour.php

As for meeting up.    I can only do weekends.

So for August are people saying the 13th, the Saturday, yeah? Or did I imagine it...?

I think the initial suggestion was for Thursday 13th but some people preferred the weekend, if some people are going to Nine World the weekend before I guess that might imply Saturday 15th?

I guess it's possible they might do something like that once the show had ended. At the moment I don't think there's any way you could see any of the sets (even when they're not filming) but you can see a lot of the outdoor filming locations. I think we had the first coach tour round filming locations at the first Titancon, but since then some bus companies have borrowed our idea and do regular tours.

yeah; I read they're maybe planning to keep the wall set once they've finished, maybe they'll move everything into one place. The Harry Potter one is pretty fkn cool, all told. Ok August 15th would be fine with me, I look forward to meet you all. :-) I'll wear all my G.OT apparell at once, layered up. Did you y'all know they sell officially licensed teeshirts in Primark for like £6-8. Bargain!

I live down the road from the Random House head office; I was ruminating the other day; I wonder how hard it'd be to break in and demand to see any manuscripts they might have...haha.. I'm relatively lucky in that I only read and finished the books about 18 months ago, which is more than enough time to be cliffhanging, I don't know how you folks that were around when ADWD originally came out handle it.. The anticipation has taken over my life. They say men think about sex every 6 seconds; I think it might have replaced that, I think about Jon Snow every 6 seconds instead  :bang:  :blushing:

Oh you sweet summer child.

some of us remember having to wait for clash of kings.   (ok so my wait for clash was only a couple of months)  waiting for the internet to load a page was far more infuriating back then.   I never joined here till post Storm, but lurked for a while before.

and I don't think your that lucky to only have finished them so far 18 months ago.   You've missed so much, like learning patience,   the importance of hilliness and laughing at all the impatient people who join the fun after you.    We cope as there are so many other good books out there.  I used to be you, frantically waiting, needing my next fix.   I got grey hairs now (actually I think I'm skipping the grey and they are going straight to white)  and perspective  ISOIAF is not the center of my universe, but the friends I've made here come very close to it.

Archived