Killing Cecil

Fragile Bird

I think we need a new thread and a new title: 'What is it with Medical Professionals and their desire to Kill African Big Game"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11491096

This guy's been killing hippos and elephants. One wonders what happens with the Ivory.

in my personal opinion chickens are subjected to some of the worst horrors ....people might be dismissive because chickens are kinda goofy and not much to look at but the poor things in some of the worst factory farms just make me feel sick to my stomach....

Chickens Forced Into Cannibalism 

so although this is about cecil and i understand that i think it's a very valid point indeed to say that human beings only care about pretty animals and majestic animals when poor little animals like chickens are being slaughtered and emotionally distressed in the millions yearly... 

Yep, value judgements are constantly being applied based on the look and size of an animal. It's why I think there is a degree of hypocrisy around whaling. While I think hunting whales is problematic from a welfare perspective (very hard to kill a whale as quickly and humanely as one kills animals in a controlled slaughter environment), in theory whaling could be carried out sustainably if the pro-whaling nations could find a humane way to kill the animals they hunt. The valid arguments against whaling are ecological and animal welfare based, not "oooh look at these gigantic majestic animals."

Heartstring tugging animals are useful to get otherwise ambivalent people on board with animal welfare and sustainability, but lobbying and policy needs to be detached from that sort of emotion so as not to become speciesist.

Here's a story about a group of US vets who went to Africa in March to help hunt down poachers and train rangers.  That's vets as in veterans.  The story mentions 187 park rangers were murdered last year. http://www.trueactivist.com/people-hunt-endangered-animals-so-this-woman-hunts-poachers

Being involved in wildlife/park enforcement can be very dangerous, your confronting armed people out in the middle of nowhere

Yes, trophy hunting is a legacy of Colonialism and the "Dark Continent" and all that crap. Yes, Colonialism led to a messed up Africa. Yes, we care about ugly animals, chickens, and oppose the use of bribes. No, not all Medical Professionals go trophy hunting. I must have missed some stuff. The point is, this thread is about expressing sadness and outrage about this particular case. This isn't the outrage competition thread. Jeez.

Yes, trophy hunting is a legacy of Colonialism and the "Dark Continent" and all that crap. Yes, Colonialism led to a messed up Africa. Yes, we care about ugly animals, chickens, and oppose the use of bribes. No, not all Medical Professionals go trophy hunting. I must have missed some stuff. The point is, this thread is about expressing sadness and outrage about this particular case. This isn't the outrage competition thread. Jeez.

You gotta put outrage at a single act in some sort of context though, especially whether the act is an isolated thing or part of a systematic problem. Boo hoo, Grrrrr lion dies! is pretty meaningless, lions die all the time and not just from rich westerner hunting trips. Why is this particular situation an outrage? Are there some emotional responses that are less about the legality of the matter than that it happened to be one of those "A-list" animals to which we feel somewhat more of an affinity, and if so is that a legitimate response for the purposes of debate?

I think the biggest tragedy in all of this is the calling of a dentist a "medical" professional.

especially a cosmetic dentist. this guy is basically a plastic surgeon of dentistry, perpetuating the pearly toothed vanity that is so unique to america. 

I think it is in part the rarity of the animal but also in part the intent. Most people do not hunt bears to eat them because bear meat is really not good. So, people are typically hunting them for the same sorts of trophies as a lion, its head and skin. So a lot of the draw is look how I have killed this purportedly ferocious animal. Conversely, most people who hunt deer, even those who mount the deer, use the meat. And it is a relatively small number of deer hunters who taxidermy their kills at all, presumably because killing a prey animal doesn't have the same effect on the wall that something with large teeth and claws does

Everyone I know who hunts black bears in Minnesota eats them. I have had plenty of bear sausage as evidence myself.  They may not hunt them because they want to eat them, but they still eat them.  Quite honestly most deer hunters are not out there because they want to eat venison either.

I'm switching to caring about the murder of the hitchhiking robot. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hitchbot-destroyed-in-philadelphia-ending-u-s-tour-1.3177098

If I am not mistaken the bots were to be displayed to show how they came back from the different countries. Would be interested if they give it a second go. Would be quite bad to have it go like Canada like this, France, Germany Britain like that and USA murdered.

Everyone I know who hunts black bears in Minnesota eats them. I have had plenty of bear sausage as evidence myself.  They may not hunt them because they want to eat them, but they still eat them.  Quite honestly most deer hunters are not out there because they want to eat venison either.

My aunt Alice's husband was unemployed for a while and he would go into the woods and bag a deer to feed his children. I don't know if they liked the taste of venison or not. But I suppose it doesn't matter.

I'm switching to caring about the murder of the hitchhiking robot. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hitchbot-destroyed-in-philadelphia-ending-u-s-tour-1.3177098

Do you use anti-virus software? I bet you do.

Color me unsurprised that you would make the death of one hitchhiking robot your cause celebre while you are actively engaged in morally equivalent violence against robotic organisms on a much, much worse scale.

The hypocrisy sickens me.  

Do you use anti-virus software? I bet you do.

Color me unsurprised that you would make the death of one hitchhiking robot your cause celebre while you are actively engaged in morally equivalent violence against robotic organisms on a much, much worse scale.

The hypocrisy sickens me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You threw me for a loop for a moment there....

Archived