U.S. Politics: mid summer edition

TerraPrime

Prediction:  Bush/Rubio ticket.  It ticks off many boxes, but I also confess I'm making the prediction partly on seeing just to what extent it looks like the establishment GOP is getting behind Jeb.

Same state, messes up EC voting. Constitutionally, electors have to vote for at least one candidate (either Pres. or VP) who is not from their state. So if Florida's electors are required to get over a majority to make Bush President or Rubio VP, we could end up with a weird situation where Bush is elected but his running mate isn't.

Prediction:  Bush/Rubio ticket.  It ticks off many boxes, but I also confess I'm making the prediction partly on seeing just to what extent it looks like the establishment GOP is getting behind Jeb.

-Maximum chance of winning Florida which GOP absolutely must win

-Maximum chance of making inroads with Hispanic voters to whatever extent that can be done

-Bush and Rubio have this relationship that would presumably facilitate the partnership

-Rubio ticks off the "next in line" tradition for the GOP

Now the big "but" in my prediction is that this is very much the "establishment" pick which the base is not going to have as their first choice.  Someone like Walker still represents a good opportunity for the base, but I could see this being a repeat of 2012 where Bush is the Romney and Rubio is the Ryan (kind of).

I don't think they'd have two Florida guys on the ticket. I still think if the nominee is any of the establishment guys, the VP will be Portman. It'd be easier if it were Kasich, and both are fairly popular in Ohio, but I think too many people are too pissed off at him.

If the nominee is one of the more tea party/religious guys though, who knows what they'll end up doing. Good chance they pick one of their own I think.

Trump might pick Palin, just for maximum trolling effect (He said on her radio show yesterday that he'd like her to be involved in his administration, maybe in the Cabinet).

OAR,

Same state, messes up EC voting. Constitutionally, electors have to vote for at least one candidate (either Pres. or VP) who is not from their state. So if Florida's electors are required to get over a majority to make Bush President or Rubio VP, we could end up with a weird situation where Bush is elected but his running mate isn't.

Huh? Where are you getting that?

Speaking of Marco Rubio, apparently he's been tweeting about the killing of Cecil the lion and equating it with Planned Parenthood.

Look at all this outrage over a dead lion, but where is all the outrage over the planned parenthood dead babies.

2:10 PM - 29 Jul 2015

I gather that a very anti-Planned Parenthood group edited a PP video to make it look like doctors there were discussing selling human fetuses, which has kicked up a firestorm in the US Congress and Senate, with yet another move to defund PP. Apparently PP asks women who have abortions whether or not they would like to have the fetus that was aborted destroyed or donated to science, which the anti-PP crowd is claiming is selling the fetus surreptitiously, in the hope they get donations.

OAR,

Huh? Where are you getting that?

I looked it up real quick after seeing that. Article II of the Constitution:

The electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves.

There's a whole Politifact article about it.

ETA:  :ninja:

ETA2: The article does point out that Florida could potentially change its laws so that its electors are actually residents of a different state to get around that requirement.

I looked it up real quick after seeing that. Article II of the Constitution:

There's a whole Politifact article about it.

ETA:  :ninja:

ETA2: The article does point out that Florida could potentially change its laws so that its electors are actually residents of a different state to get around that requirement.

Now I would see that as being a really unfair end run around the constitution that would be sure to result in lawsuits.

It would be much easier for Bush to buy a condo in another state and change his voting registration to that state so this would not be an issue. 

Now I would see that as being a really unfair end run around the constitution that would be sure to result in lawsuits.

It would be much easier for Bush to buy a condo in another state and change his voting registration to that state so this would not be an issue. 

True. That's what Cheney did in 2000. Although, without knowing his financial or personal concerns, that could have pretty big implications that Bush or his family may not want to deal with. Though with the potential result being the Presidency, they'd probably decide its worth it.

But I don't think we'll see a Bush/Rubio or Rubio/Bush ticket for other reasons.

I gather that a very anti-Planned Parenthood group edited a PP video to make it look like doctors there were discussing selling human fetuses, which has kicked up a firestorm in the US Congress and Senate, with yet another move to defund PP. Apparently PP asks women who have abortions whether or not they would like to have the fetus that was aborted destroyed or donated to science, which the anti-PP crowd is claiming is selling the fetus surreptitiously, in the hope they get donations.

Oh yes. The right wing freakout brigade on my Facebook freed is all up in arms over the video. They are trying to do to PP what they did to ACORN.

And it's effective, because most people get squeamish when the subject is fetal tissue. But there's no evidence that PP is doing anything illegal or unethical. Once again, the right wing is preying on people's emotional reactions and using falsehood and selective editing to do so.

I am sure Planned Parenthood and "fetus merchant" smears are going to feature prominently in the coming election cycle. Right on time, the GOP starts hammering on culture war hot button issues. They must have polling that marriage equality is not a winning issue for them, so back to abortion they go.

And then there were 17...? Ummmm...thanks Jim Gilmore...?

I'm reasonably certain that Gilmore doesn't care about this race at all and he's just trying to increase his name recognition again and build some campaign infrastructure to run for governor in Virginia in 2017. 

I am sure Planned Parenthood and "fetus merchant" smears are going to feature prominently in the coming election cycle. Right on time, the GOP starts hammering on culture war hot button issues. They must have polling that marriage equality is not a winning issue for them, so back to abortion they go.

But will it affect the national race? I suspect that most people whose vote would be influenced by this video are already voting Republican. Some local races, maybe, but I doubt the presidential race will be swayed by stuff like this. Besides, by this time next year this matter will have faded from most memories.

Rick Perry and Donald Trump have a beef, if case you didn't know.  But now it's not just a beef over who may get to be the next nominee for the Republican party.  Now it's a junior high school rivalry.

Trump, who's currently leading polls of the 2016 Republican primary, told the Daily Mail on Wednesday that Perry lacks the "energy," the "brain power," and the "toughness" to be an effective president.

Perhaps it was that last charge that stung the most. Perry, a former Air Force captain who's worn his tough-guy image on his sleeve during a long career in politics, fired back during an appearance at the Yale Club.

"Let's get a pull-up bar out there and let's see who can do the most pull-ups," Perry said, inciting a round of laughter and applause from the audience

Yes, that's right.  A candidate for President of the United States just challenged another candidate for President of the United States to a pull up contest.

The Onion couldn't make this shit up.  

I think instead of a 16 person debate (which everyone agrees, would be a complete mess), they should just all compete in Republican Ninja WarriorTM

I say let's reach back to the movie plots of America's most kick-ass time, the unironically imperial dick-waggling days of Saint Ronnie the On-Camera Warrior. Gather together all sixteen (seventeen now, I guess?) of these tough, smart, take-no-guff candidates. Airdrop them into Tehran with all the weapons, ammunition, and eyeblack they can carry. The one who destroys Iran's nuclear program wins the Presidency and a kiss from Bibi Netanyahu.

My money's on Lindsey Graham.

I think instead of a 16 person debate (which everyone agrees, would be a complete mess), they should just all compete in Republican Ninja WarriorTM

Wipeout would be more entertaining with this group methinks...

Archived