Jon chapters in TWoW

Pied Pypar

I hope GRRM starts out chapters at The Wall by giving us chapters labeled Edd. Focus on Dolorous Edd returning to Castle Black and by some tragic accident Edd finds himself as the new Lord Commander.

Haha isn't that Edd's worst nightmare?? "I just want to say to whoever is voting for me that I would certainly make an awful Lord Commander."

It depends upon the timing for me. If the book is out before the show I won't skip but even then with the stuff leaking from the show now (No spoilers) there is some pretty big indicators which I am 99.9% certain will be coming from Winds of Winter which will of course spoil the eagnerness to jump ahead and find out for certain the fate.

I guess what I mean is if the book does make it out in the near future my answer is yes I am skipping through looking for Jon chapters however if it fails to make it out before the show then ce la vie I will enjoy the book afterwards for the more detail it can offer versus the show.

I will be so happy if there are no more Jon chapters. I'd rather not flip through and find myself dissapointed. I have no doubt we'll see things from other peoples perspectives but Jon never had anything interesting to say.

I've done this with nearly every book to try and anticipate who doesn't make it to the end. It's my sad way of trying to soften the blow when it comes! Mind you, it has backfired, I mourned Davos and Brienne prematurely. But I don't think we'll get a Jon POV again, and if we do, it certainly won't be titled 'Jon'.

So I'll not only be looking ahead, I'll be trying to decipher any tricksy looking POV titles ('Man with Multiple Chest Wounds' might be a bit too obvious), without actually reading them.  

• 2 weeks later...
I definitely will not be skipping ahead. Just thinking about holding that book and seeing "the prince that was promised" or "Daenerys" or "Jamie" or literally any character at all... I'm having heart palpitations and vocally I sound something like this...
EEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEE!
AAAAHHHHEEEEEEEEE
OMGOMGOMG-EEEEEEEE

So I think that every moment spent reading the chronological pages of this glorious addiction of mine will suffice. If I skip around and stuff gets ruined I'll actually die

Another thing to ponder....GRRM said that there will be no new POV's from here on out.  If he keeps his word, one can easily look at the chapter list and see who is omitted, or very least see who has POV's that suddenly "stop" midway through the book.

Those could be potential death spoilers...

Some POVs could combine. So Theon and Asha could combine and one of their stories is finished through the other's POV. Same with Jaime/Brienne. As the characters start to merge, there is no reason to keep every POV going. But that does not mean that if a character's POV ends that their story ends. 

• 2 months later...

I didn't skip ahead when I read Arya taking an axe in the back of her head, or when Davos was to be executed so I think I should be able to hold on this time as well. Also I am pretty much convinced that he will come back, so I want to enjoy the mayhem at the wall (if GRRM shows us that) before finding that he is reborn amongst salt and smoke !

Only thing I am worried is that will be able to stop reading the book to go to work, or take a holiday and not stir out of my bed till i'm finished reading.

I didn't skip ahead when I read Arya taking an axe in the back of her head, or when Davos was to be executed so I think I should be able to hold on this time as well. Also I am pretty much convinced that he will come back, so I want to enjoy the mayhem at the wall (if GRRM shows us that) before finding that he is reborn amongst salt and smoke !

I think the Melisandre chapter we get in Dance is there partly to give us an established alternative POV at the Wall.  I think the next POV chapter we see there will hers, so we should get to see some of the chaos!

I do wonder if the first Jon chapter will be under another name.  For the new POVs we got in AFFC and ADWD there are multiple chapters under other names; with main, long-standing POVs, however, it does seem to indicate another 'identity' being taken on. For example, Sansa's chapters as Alayne, and Arya's as Cat of the Canals etc.  Though what that might mean for Jon if he is given another name for the chapter heading, I don't know. 

• 1 month later...

I think we will be trolled.As many have said, we will see an early chapter named "Jon" but it will be Connighton. I will definitely skip ahead to find a Jon Snow chapter, but I doubt it will be named "Jon". As for the Wall POV we have Melisandre.Davos, Theon and Asha can also travel to the Wall.

Archived