High Sparrow Appreciation Thread

This is an Appreciation thread for the high sparrow, one of the most compassionate, progressive figures in Westeros. Why do I say this?

Unlike Stannis, the Young Wolf, and the Lannisters, the High Sparrow isn't totally concentrated on accruing power for himself. Yes he wants power, but mostly of a religious/moral sort.

He is the only major figure in the series thus far who is deeply concerned with the war's effect on the Smallfolk of Westeros, the violence and deprivations they have been subjected to.

His Sparrows are actively involved with feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poorest of the poor, as well as protecting them from armies and bandits.

He could be a bit more progressive on gender issues, that is true. But doesn't the fact that he has helped the poor and destitute  so much count for something?

Just saying. Y'all love your batshit crazy autocrats who level hundreds of homes to build opulent palaces and parade around in finery they obtained oppressing anyone unfortunate enough not to be a product of elitist inbreeding.

Dany literally crucified hundreds of people without trial and she's your hero because she calls her impoverished, starving hangers on serfs instead of slaves.

GMAB!

Can't wait till my boiz Theodan the True and Bonifer the Bitchin' start bustin' skulls. Everyone will live happily ever after. May the crone grant them wisdom.

the guy who wants to turn the clock back 300 years :D

EDIT: I just remembered that in the US "progressive" is used for old lefties who work with the poor, etc...maybe that's what you meant??

Considering he allows women to arm themselves and join the Sparrows, and gave some of them positions among his Most Devout, I'd have to say that there is at least a shred of progressiveness in him, at least when gender is concerned.

He is a populist, and in a series where no one gives a fart about the well-being of the smallfolk, I can admire that. He seems to be driven by morality rather than ambition as well, another admirable (yet scary) trait.

I'd have to say that I rather like the High Sparrow.

Considering he allows women to arm themselves and join the Sparrows, and gave some of them positions among his Most Devout, I'd have to say that there is at least a shred of progressiveness in him, at least when gender is concerned.

He is a populist, and in a series where no one gives a fart about the well-being of the smallfolk, I can admire that. He seems to be driven by morality rather than ambition as well, another admirable (yet scary) trait.

:agree:

Yeah I agree.  Although I have no love for the HS- he is probably the only character who cares about the smallfolk...

It's funny, even the supposed "Good Guy" Starks are pretty self-centered...they care about honor and their family name and there always being a Stark in WF. Rarely ever hear anyone trying to do whats best for the small folk.

I rounded up to fully mythical

Sorry but that's incorrect. Whether or not you believe he was gods son or turned wine into water (i don't, but personal opinions don't matter), there's historical records of a guy called jesus who (as it's been mentioned) had some followers and did some stuff.

Archived