Just heard they might make season 8 of Game of Thrones

Black Dragons

This is rather disappointing looking back on season 5. It invalidates all the claims that there wasn't enough time to faithfully adapt the novels. While I've had tonnes of problems with the specifics, I could at least accept that with only seven seasons it might just be flatly impossible to fully adapt everything. I would've been upset, but I would have been...okay with cutting Aegon and co. if it meant the rest of the story could be adapted. But with 8 seasons? Or more? That's at least 10 more hours to tell the story. I had my suspicions the moment casting calls came out for Euron and the Riverland's cast. I could already smell a gearshift. Don't be surprised to see Aegon turn up somewhere as well. 

There's also the worry that D+D will lose interest in the show. They seem set on 7, while HBO seems set on at least 8. Disinterested showrunners are never good. 

This is rather disappointing looking back on season 5. It invalidates all the claims that there wasn't enough time to faithfully adapt the novels. While I've had tonnes of problems with the specifics, I could at least accept that with only seven seasons it might just be flatly impossible to fully adapt everything. I would've been upset, but I would have been...okay with cutting Aegon and co. if it meant the rest of the story could be adapted. But with 8 seasons? Or more? That's at least 10 more hours to tell the story. I had my suspicions the moment casting calls came out for Euron and the Riverland's cast. I could already smell a gearshift. Don't be surprised to see Aegon turn up somewhere as well. 

There's also the worry that D+D will lose interest in the show. They seem set on 7, while HBO seems set on at least 8. Disinterested showrunners are never good. 

I suspect there may be 3 books worth of material left and only three seasons to cover it..

I've always thought there would need to be at least 8 seasons even with a one season AFFC/ADWD

I suspect there may be 3 books worth of material left and only three seasons to cover it..

I've always thought there would need to be at least 8 seasons even with a one season AFFC/ADWD

I really hope GRRM wraps it up in two.  AFFC/ADWD threw more irons into the fire with Dorne and the Greyjoys.  Season 5 introduced Dorne and 6 will bring the Iron Islands back.  With TWoW it's time for GRRM to pick up the pace again.  Which is why I think these last two books will move along similar to ASoS in order to wrap things up.  Whereas the show did one book and two seasons for ASoS two books three season for seems reasonable for TWoW and ADoS with the things they've been cutting.

I remember when people were oh-so-sure that D&D's passing remarks about 7 seasons meant it was absolutely sure, and ignored Benioff's on-camera remark about "at least seven" at the season 4 premiere. :P

At bare minimum, the show ends in 2018 with Season 7 - Part 2. But it sounds just as possible that it'll be a proper Season 8. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

It does feel like the uncertainty about it all has negatively impacted the construction of the show.

As to a potential prequel, we'll see. Thing is, there are other people who can do what D&D do. And yes, Bryan Cogman leaps to mind as the person who would seem the most obvious show runner, basically being their closest collaborator on the production from day one. (Not his fault he got the short end of the stick when it came to season 5 episode writing assignments, either.) Of course, he has a burgeoning screenwriting career, so who knows if he'd be available in such an eventuality.

A few months ago there was an article (maybe on winteriscoming.net) that an HBO guy who sits in a big seat (not coz he's fat, but coz he's some kind of boss-like thingy) and he said that he would prefer more seasons which follow the books more.

It really seemed that they had to once it became obvious they're going to use season 6 to introduce many of the storylines from AFFC/ADWD that they skipped over in season 5. They weren't going to cover the final two books in one season, even if 80% of the characters die in TWOW and the story finally pares back to bare bones and the story lines start converging. They'll already probably merge what's left of the Dragonstone crew, Sansa, Littlefinger, the Boltons, the Night's Watch, Rickon, and the few wildlings anyone cares about into a single storyline at some point next season which will eventually converge on Winterfell and become the site of the final apocalypse battleground, with Bran involved remotely. If they can find a way to get Arya and the Mereen crew back to Westeros in season 7, they've got the makings of a potentially really good and cohesive season 8. Even the Wire started to suck a little bit in season 2 when they split up the key players and followed them around separately, and it got a lot better in season 3 when it killed off the people that didn't matter and brought everyone else back together. It's just harder to write good television that way. You introduce too much opportunity of cutting way from ten solid minutes of gripping drama to eight minutes of boring pointlessness just for the lip service of keeping main characters on the screen even when they aren't doing anything important. 

S5 really pushed the show's popularity through the roof and the whole carry on with Jon Snow's apparent death has meant a LOT of people are going to be watching the next season i anticipation. 

Also the fact the S5 felt particularly rushed and poorly put together (with the odd exceptional scene) I think meant going beyond 7 seasons was easily on the cards.

I've been saying to people for years it will go more than 7 but everyone always brings up that D&D quote about only being 7 seasons, completely ignoring the fact that the story would make more sense if spread over more than 7. It's particularly important I think when you consider S1-3 were all pretty close to the books and pretty detailed and well laid out. Only once we got beyond their initial half way point did things get a bit rushed and start to unravel.

They should have just stuck with the pace of S1-3 and seen where it took them. GOT is like nothing we've seen before (as in there's never been such an epic and well funded, globally popular fantasy show) so it should not be afraid to run on longer to give the story the time it deserves.

I only hope that in the long run S5 is seen as a hiccup and we can get back to proper storytelling in S6 rather that the compilation of shock scenes and filler we had through S5.

Still plenty of possible plotlines from AFFC & ADWD still unused plus TWOW & ADOS still to come (both possibly being 2 part books), that's a lot of possibilities. You've still got Aeogon, Ironborn, everything at the Citadel, Arya's continued training, Riverlands, Danny story back to Westeros?, Mereen battle?, slave revolt?, Brotherhood Without Banners, Cersei's trial by combat?, Bran, Ricikon...

The potential prequel as well could be incredibly popular. I know a lot of fans would dearly love to see Robert's Rebellion or the first dance of dragons given some TV treatment. If they can pull it off well it will really add to the show world they have created and expand on an already detailed story.

Well despite the show's obvious drop in quality, I'm still really pleased to hear this news, news that I've been hoping to hear for a while, cause it really pissed me off the idea that D&D wanted to try and fit the rest of the story rushed into 20 episodes considering we're getting to the endgame with I'm sure plenty of important stuff to get through between now and the end, and the final 2 books will probably end up being 1500 pages each. 

A few months ago there was an article (maybe on winteriscoming.net) that an HBO guy who sits in a big seat (not coz he's fat, but coz he's some kind of boss-like thingy) and he said that he would prefer more seasons which follow the books more.

That was both Lombardo and HBO CEO Richard Plepler. That's were the movie idea was brought up too (totally separate from GRRM's mention of a film).

Yes, while D&D changed quite a lot, and some of it head-scratching for sure, I don't see what more they could have done.  AFFC and ADWD were such slogs of books to get through (for me at least), that I was actually wondering how they were going to make them exciting for the show.  They had their exciting parts but they were few and far between, let's be honest.  I think pushing it to 8 seasons is actually a smart idea.  It gives them more room to play with, and it also gives GRRM a chance to give them more details because let's face it, if TWOW still isn't out, there's no way ADOS will be out by season 7 or even season 8.  This actually gives them a chance to go back and cover some of the other plots that were dropped from this year (most notably, the Greyjoys).  I may also be in the minority camp, but I think D&D have done a great job with what they have.  The only REALLY major things I have issues with is no LSH (but I can understand why they cut her out), and Sansa taking Jeyne's place (although her sitting in the Vale for an entire season would have been mind-numbingly dull).

Now, as far as a prequel?  I would LOVE to see Robert's Rebellion, the Tourney at Harrenhal, the births of all of the present-day characters, Rhaegar/Lyanna, etc.  I think it would be awesome.

The problem is that HBO should have given D&D this information after season 3, they knew allready then that the show was extremely popular, and on the rising.. if they had known after season 3 they had 10 more hours of content they could put in.. it would have made everything easier for them, they could put in Lady Stone Heart, as an aftermath of The red wedding and had the Kingsmoot but thats "if they had known" ..

People hating on D&D, id like too see their draft of planning George RR Martins A song of ice and fire work in the 70 hours they had planned. WITH all plot points.. it's impossible, yes the showrunners has made some mistakes, (Dorne and ser Barristan) but they are still making one of, if not THE best TV show right now..

I don't think we'll see very much of the stuff they cut from Season 5. We'll get a little Ironborn in the Reach. It's too late for Victarion and the dragon horn unless D&D strap both LF and Jaime's rocket packs to the back of Vic's boat. Without Arianne, (f)Aegon, even an abbreviated form,  seems somewhat pointless. The casting calls include only two northern lords, so I doubt they go back to Winterfell with that plot line.

I suspect the extra season is simply because both TWoW and ADoS are going to be the size of ASoS. It will take 3 seasons to shoot them. And that leaves the problem of where to put the season breaks. The break between seasons 3 and 4 screwed up 3 story lines. (Jaime, Jon, and Stannis.)

I'm here for it, there must be tons of things going on in TWOW and ADOS, I can't see how they could possibly put it all in just two seasons even without characters that got cut. Some of the storylines are messed up as hell so they need some time to put them back on trails.

Archived