Just heard they might make season 8 of Game of Thrones

Black Dragons

The Stark kids would be too old with 12 seasons, even little Rickon would be an adult. And I don't think the main actors will want to spend 12 years on the same show. Sophie Turner, Kit Harington, Gwendoline Christie, Emilia Clarke, ... all are getting interesting job offers right now. They could recast, but the show would suffer from that.

That.

They could easily recast Rickon, since he is a very minor character. But the problem with the child actors getting older/adults is not going away. And it's already quite obvious in the case of Maisie Williams. Maisie Williams is 18 years now. She has grown from a little 12 year old girl into a really attractive young woman. And with growing age her physical shape has changed a bit, and they have a hard time hiding her feminine shape in her costumes (I tried hard to find a wording that would not upset anybody, at least give me credit for the effort). And she is definately not passing off as an 11 or 12 y.o. girl anymore.

Having that said, I always felt seven seasons was an overly optimistic estimation to get it all filmed. There will be (as of now) 7 big books (possibly more), when George is done telling his tale. To fit those into 7 seasons looked like a very optimistic estimate on the show runners' part. Unless they want to heavily cut content. Which they did. During the last seasons they have effectively cut three subplots. 1. The Vale of Arryn and Harry the Heir and 2. the Griffs. 3. They have not gone anywhere near the Iron Islands, Kingsmoot and Euron-Victarion.

They might go back to the Iron Island plot, but I don't see a way to get Harry the Heir, or the Griffs back in. And even with those cuts they will probably still have too much material for just 2 more seasons.

I would be concerned. I mean, three seasons off of an outline? Maybe if Martin actually gave them his manuscript for The Winds of Winter and committed to writing four episodes a piece for seasons seven and eight after he is finished with the sixth book. Otherwise I expect complete calamity. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived