Robb's Will (revisited)

Im sure this topic has been done to death, yet I have a question or two about it.

It basically named Jon as King Robb's successor correct? But even if it did, where is the will now? With Mormont or Glover, or one of the other northern lords who snuck up through the Neck?

Also, what should one make of Cat's reaction to Jon being named Robb's heir? At first glance it seemed a bit prejudiced and small-minded of her to oppose it. Jon indeed would be more known and loved than some distant cousin in the Vale.

Did she really think he was like Theon Greyjoy in terms of a threat? This was a kid who befriended rambunctious little Arya, and braved being in Cat's presence to wish poor, comatose Bran a goodbye before going to the wall. His circumstances not withstanding, Theon never was a warm or kind person like Jon.

I like to give Cat the benefit of the doubt though. Her angry reaction to Robb's will may just have been the reaction of a worried, depressed mother who had a lot of stress in her life, and was suddenly introduced to a concept that made her deeply unhappy and uncomfortable. Perhaps a week later (or after learning Bran and Rickon were alive) she would have changed her tune?

Im sure this topic has been done to death, yet I have a question or two about it.

It basically named Jon as King Robb's successor correct? But even if it did, where is the will now? With Mormont or Glover, or one of the other northern lords who snuck up through the Neck?

Also, what should one make of Cat's reaction to Jon being named Robb's heir? At first glance it seemed a bit prejudiced and small-minded of her to oppose it. Jon indeed would be more known and loved than some distant cousin in the Vale.

Did she really think he was like Theon Greyjoy in terms of a threat? This was a kid who befriended rambunctious little Arya, and braved being in Cat's presence to wish poor, comatose Bran a goodbye before going to the wall. His circumstances not withstanding, Theon never was a warm or kind person like Jon.

I like to give Cat the benefit of the doubt though. Her angry reaction to Robb's will may just have been the reaction of a worried, depressed mother who had a lot of stress in her life, and was suddenly introduced to a concept that made her deeply unhappy and uncomfortable. Perhaps a week later (or after learning Bran and Rickon were alive) she would have changed her tune?

Catelyn was being prudent.  Making Jon legit gives him the right to inherit, should something happen to Robb.   Sure, I can imagine Cat had some prejudice there.  But, her counsel was correct.  Best be careful before making a bastard legit.

Anyway, Robb's will is not going to be recognized.  The throne never recognized the North's separation and Robb's rebellion failed.  Some of the northerners may recognize his kingship and therefore his right to make Jon legit, but such a decree will carry no weight in the south and very little in the north.  Robb was never a king, except in the minds of those he led in battle.  Now, if the north were to separate from the rest of the kingdom and the Boltons were to fall from power, perhaps there will be enough families in the north to honor whatever Robb wrote on that parchment. 

Archived