Football #Gazillion - Bring on the Season!

baxus

Would be surprised if Bony starts this weekend. He picked up an injury and has only been in training for a few days - less time than Aguero. Wouldn't be a shock to see Sterling start up top or for Iheanacho to get the nod. Sterling, Silva, Iheanacho is the lineup which has been getting a lot of time on the pitch in pre season

Yeah, that unpronouncable guy got some good press for his pre-season.  And Sterling has done really well too, but perhaps hard to rely on his finishing yet.

The first two or three games can be very uneven across the league because not all players get the same pre-season.  This year it really hits the ones with South American stars.

I'd like to see a calendar with a break of a full two months for all players for pre-season - a month off and a month of conditioning.  If there are international tournaments, then there has to be a delayed start to the league to accommodate.  And all transfers occur in that first month.  It would be more competitive if players had a better chance of starting each season fully refreshed.

Would be surprised if Bony starts this weekend. He picked up an injury and has only been in training for a few days - less time than Aguero. Wouldn't be a shock to see Sterling start up top or for Iheanacho to get the nod. Sterling, Silva, Iheanacho is the lineup which has been getting a lot of time on the pitch in pre season

How have they looked? Could it break down a good defensive team?

I like what Sterling can do but he does better alongside a better player, not as the main goal threat himself. And Sterling is good at high pressing, but City don't do that. I think they'll need a striker with Sterling and Silva to get goals. I don't know if the young kid is ready for that yet.

Or perhaps they play Sterling as a false 9 and push Yaya to number 10 and rely on him getting some chances and combining with Silva.

Yeah, that unpronouncable guy got some good press for his pre-season.  And Sterling has done really well too, but perhaps hard to rely on his finishing yet.
The first two or three games can be very uneven across the league because not all players get the same pre-season.  This year it really hits the ones with South American stars.

His finishing has looked fine so far. Don't know what all the fuss was about...

I'd like to see a calendar with a break of a full two months for all players for pre-season - a month off and a month of conditioning.  If there are international tournaments, then there has to be a delayed start to the league to accommodate.  And all transfers occur in that first month.  It would be more competitive if players had a better chance of starting each season fully refreshed.

Not sure how this could ever work? Bearing in mind there are tournaments all over the world at various times and years then this would just end with a complete and utter mess. What about the African Cup of Nations, for instance? The current system is about the best we've got. Club football at the very top end might be more competitive but I'm not convinced of the merits of moving all football around for the benefit of the 1%.

How have they looked? Could it break down a good defensive team?

Looked really good so far. Silva in immense form, Sterling has gotten off to a flyer and Iheanacho is a very, very interesting player. Inventive, strong and great movement off the ball. He swapped and changed with the other forward players like he'd been alongside them for years.

I like what Sterling can do but he does better alongside a better player, not as the main goal threat himself. And Sterling is good at high pressing, but City don't do that. I think they'll need a striker with Sterling and Silva to get goals. I don't know if the young kid is ready for that yet.
Or perhaps they play Sterling as a false 9 and push Yaya to number 10 and rely on him getting some chances and combining with Silva.

Going to be interesting to see. City are switching it up to 4-3-3 this year by the look of it though so pressing will be a far more relevant concern.

Is Yaya okay now, or is his head still broken from that ridiculous preseason keeper challenge?Sterling didn't do brilliantly for us as a main forward last season, and it's unlikely to be any different if City need to use him that way initially to cover for striker injuries/fitness. I know he's scored a few nice goals, but he's scored similar for Liverpool before so I wouldn't automatically assume they're an indication of any kind of improvement.

Yaya is looking good. Moving a lot like the player he was season before last and seems to have his head right again. Will be a key part of the team as per usual.

My preference would definitely not be Sterling as a main striker. It's not his best position and it would be a waste imo.

I love the rumor of dc united homegrown winger andy najar going to newcastle by way of Anderlecht.

I miss that kid. Would love to see him playing first-team football in England.

I imagine a starting spot is a ways off if ever, though. Probably be a sub for now.

Agreed, Sterling as the source of goals would be problematic. But presumably he'd always be paired to Aguero, or Bony as a back-up.

It presents similar issues as just Walcott up front at Arsenal IMO.

As expected, Dzeko is off to Roma. Total of about £14m being widely reported. Will be sad to see him go definitely. Scored some vital goals and contributed more than his fair share.

On the other hand the timing feels right for this move. The squad is now being geared heavily toward a more fluid attacking formation with an emphasis on energetic pressing and movement which isn't Dzeko's strong suit at all. Dzeko himself will be the main man at Roma and will boss Serie A. No doubt about that.

Bye Edin, and thanks for everything :)

...The squad is now being geared heavily toward a more fluid attacking formation with an emphasis on energetic pressing and movement which isn't Dzeko's strong suit at all....

I was going to joke that you're just trying to copy Liverpool but more significantly you're shifting to the Guardiola approach.

Is Pellegrini just a caretaker for this season?

I was going to joke that you're just trying to copy Liverpool but more significantly you're shifting to the Guardiola approach.
Is Pellegrini just a caretaker for this season?

Ha, it's definitely more Guardiola.

It's actually more Barcelona in general. Our ex-Barca bosses Begiristain and Soriano want every team from the U8s upwards to play the same style (4-3-3). The idea being that players coming through the ranks can slot in with minimal fuss as they advance through the age groups. #Holistic and all part of the plan. Of course having the system Guardiola/Barcelona pioneered can't hurt if he steps in... again, all part of the long term plan.

Pellegrini would have to win the Champions League to get a new contract. Been the plan from the start that he would do his 3 years, take the club forward and start integrating the youth and then move on. It's what he signed up for and he knows the deal.

Dele Alli looks fun. Hope he gets some time with Spurs this year rather than being loaned out again

Missed him. 

Both goals from Madrid were meh. No idea what the CBs were doing for Spurs on James' goal or what Vorm was doing on Bale's. Spurs have some talented players but it looks like another season of being 6 or 7.

I don't think anyone has posted about this yet. Looks like Sepp's getting his way yet again.

I can only imagine it comes with short-shorts and thigh highs.

Man United doesn't have a women's team, so those shirts are for fans.

As for short shorts, they certainly wouldn't be unprecedented in the sport.

Archived