Bryan Fuller's Hannibal: We Hardly Knew Ye [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

I just caught up to the last 4 Red Dragon episodes.
I really like Armitage as Dolarhyde, but i was biased from the start as a fan of his. But still, even against Fiennes he is great. Everything else is perfect as always, but i miss the suits :P
Jack has significantly less to do, as does Alana, but i don't mind so much about her. I would prefer Chilton to be the psychiatrist in charge of Hannibal. It was him who found out what he is...

But each episode that passes makes me sadder because i know that the end is coming..

The scene where the dragon went to Molly's house was super tense cause you just never know what fuller is gonna do. Really liking the shows version of Molly. Also felt last night was easily Armitages best episode, particularly the 2nd phone call with Hannibal was some great stuff.

The scene where the dragon went to Molly's house was super tense cause you just never know what fuller is gonna do. Really liking the shows version of Molly. Also felt last night was easily Armitages best episode, particularly the 2nd phone call with Hannibal was some great stuff.

Armitage got a chance to show his stuff this week, I agree. I think those who were saying the actress playing Molly was weak have to ccut her some slack as they've given her great big contact lenses (I'm sure her eyes weren't like that in True Blood) which I think gives her an off-putting feel when she's acting. They may genuinely blind her to help her avoid looking. It reminds me of why it's wise to give Matt Murdoch the sunglasses. There's something mildy wrong with actor's pretending to be blind (although I guess this is something only non-blind people can notice).

I'm still finding the show hard at the moment. There are always some great scenes but the deliberate pace and style wear me out at times. I really worry how another season would have worked for me on the current trajectory. Maybe film length episodes as a possible return would help if that ever happens.

Armitage got a chance to show his stuff this week, I agree. I think those who were saying the actress playing Molly was weak have to ccut her some slack as they've given her great big contact lenses (I'm sure her eyes weren't like that in True Blood) which I think gives her an off-putting feel when she's acting. They may genuinely blind her to help her avoid looking. It reminds me of why it's wise to give Matt Murdoch the sunglasses. There's something mildy wrong with actor's pretending to be blind (although I guess this is something only non-blind people can notice).

I'm still finding the show hard at the moment. There are always some great scenes but the deliberate pace and style wear me out at times. I really worry how another season would have worked for me on the current trajectory. Maybe film length episodes as a possible return would help if that ever happens.

I think her performance is decent; I was expecting to hate it b/c I really didn't like her in True Blood.  I thought her dialogue was little weak this episode though.

Reba. Molly is Will's wife.

Dolarhyde at Molly's home was really well done. MC felt it was even better than the movie versions because it was dark and truly suspenseful. We also briefly wondered if Fuller was flirting with the idea of killing Molly and Walter. That would have been an interesting change for the story/Will.

Also, since Hannibal's incarceration (and sure, before), he is solidly an irredeemable devil and let's face it, a jerk. A petty, scornful jerk. The mask is off. I didn't think that Hannibal escapes this season because he only escapes at the end of SotL. But who knows - the chronology of the stories have been flipped and rearranged much already. And I just read an article that shows Fuller knew going into season three it was his last on NBC. I never realized it was all determined before any episodes were filmed. Perhaps explains the delay to airing in June.

And with all I've just said about how much of an irredeemable jerk he is, I hope he kills Alana. She's consistently been my least favourite character all seasons, and as she's taken on much of the Chilton character, well...

And with all I've just said about how much if an irredeemable jerk he is, I hope he kills Alana. She's consistently been my least favourite character all seasons, and as she's taken on much of the Chilton character, well...

I agree, and they do say all the time that he made a promise to kill her.
But for the life of me i can't remember when he said that. Can someone remind me please?

Another great episode. The home invasion was really tense, Molly stole all the scenes she was in (she's very funny) and shit just got real between Hannibal and Alanna. I mean, she stole the man's toilet for crying out loud! If I were her, I would get a nice funeral insurance policy while I still could, because she's going to need it pretty soon.

I don't dislike Alanna (in fact her arc - though subtle and mostly expressed in the way she dresses and carries herself - is pretty interesting), but I do hope she dies in the finale or the penultimate episode. I would hate for this show to disappear before settling the beef between her and Hannibal. Now that she has removed his toilet though, I can't see how she gets out of this alive. The only question I still have is whether or not Hannibal kills her or she gets fed to the Red Dragon.

Armitage was great as well. I really feel his menace, although his best scene so far has been the eating of the  Red Dragon painting. It was so obscene, looking at how he enjoyed ripping up such a great work of art. The scene with Reba were he is watching the film of Molly and the kid was very scary imo. His conversations with Hannibal were also nice.

Oh, and - correct me if I'm wrong - but was this the first time we saw Hannibal with his mask? The acting was brilliant. The way he looked at Alanna, that was some chilling stuff. Great music as well.

Now some random observations:

Dolarhyde has some really high standards. Like, he described Will as 'not very handsome'... What's up with that? :P Did Bryan Fuller just want to mess with Hugh Dancy? :P

I also really liked the jab at the source material when Jack and Alanna found out that Hannibal was communicating with Dolarhyde. It's that kind of borderline sardonic humour that I really like. This show is a bit like Hannibal himself, very arrogant (definitely not without reason) and you just got to love the panache and nerve it takes to put a line like that in there.

Was I the only one kind of put off by Will's line about 'crazy motherfuckers' at the end. It felt a bit to crass for this show imo. I read that it was a line from the book (can anyone confirm that?) and I can certainly believe that. It felt out of place here.

EDIT: Just found this on Youtube. Pretty sweet, these Post Mortem videos are really funny :D

EDIT: Here is one with Hugh Dance :D

But each episode that passes makes me sadder because i know that the end is coming..

Only two episodes left :crying: I know Mads has a role in one of the new SW films and that Hugh has another TV-show lined up, but damn it, I would happily exchange those two roles for more Hannibal. I seriously hope Brian Fuller manages to pull of a coup and next year (or at worst we skip a year) Hannibal returns to us. Out of all the shows that are resurrected or saved from cancellation, none would be more worthy of saving than Hannibal.

I must say that I didn't think Molly and the kid were ever in any real danger of dying. If Fuller wasn't even willing to off the dogs, he would never allow Walter to die there. The scene was tense as hell though, I think it were those shots of his boots. Somehow they were really intimidating, wish I could have said the same about that ridiculous mask he was wearing.

I think those who were saying the actress playing Molly was weak have to ccut her some slack as they've given her great big contact lenses (I'm sure her eyes weren't like that in True Blood) which I think gives her an off-putting feel when she's acting. They may genuinely blind her to help her avoid looking.

Meh, I didn't like the actress playing Reba on TB (or more like the first season of TB, after that I bailed), where she didn't have contact lenses :P She's serviceable imo, but she doesn't really do anything special. I think there are lots of actresses who could have done more with this role.

And I just read an article that shows Fuller knew going into season three it was his last on NBC. I never realized it was all determined before any episodes were filmed.

Interesting article :)

Was I the only one kind of put off by Will's line about 'crazy motherfuckers' at the end. It felt a bit to crass for this show imo. I read that it was a line from the book (can anyone confirm that?) and I can certainly believe that. It felt out of place here.

The line was: “I’m just about worn out with you crazy sons of bitches” and it does appear in the novel as well.

Alana needs to get got and I hope Hannibal is the one to do it. How dare she! :p I think we might see Hannibal's escape this season.

with regards to Dollarhyde's "Will's not that handsome" it just plays into his body dismorphia. Richard Armitage with a scar on his lip is far from a monster :)

I'm not a fan of Alanna but I don't really hate her either. From a narrative point I feel like Hannibal needs to keep his promise but I wonder why they kept her around after the season 2 cliffhanger.

Maybe Hannibal will escape posing as Alanna with her face as a mask? I kind of hope it ends with Hannibal breaking out.

I noticed Mads is going to be in the Star Wars: Rogue one film. Another good reason to watch that. He seems to be one of the good guys although I think he'd have made a great imperial officer too.

The Red Dragon arc is shaping up nicely. Armitage rocks, and Fuller's shuffling with the timeline makes this so much better. Re.Alanna, a disturbing reddit theory suggests she will have her face eaten by Hannibal which is referred to by Chilton in the SoTL movie

Jimminy Jillikers Batman :eek:  That was disturbing. Episodes like this are what makes me appreciate this show all the more. I mean how did they get any of this past standards & practice is just baffling. They probably just assumed that - with the show getting axed - they could really go all out with this (the acronym YOLO springs to mind). I don't know which substance the NBC CEO was smoking (or more probably injecting) when this series was greenlit, but however got them clean is a dipshit. We need more people on this mysterious substance!

I was really quite impressed by the terror scenes this week. I mean, you all know that I'm an unapologetic Fannibal, but this was on an other level. Probably the scariest the show has ever been and that's saying something. [spoiler]Chilton's face looked really terribly messed up[/spoiler]The only thing that lessened the impact a bit was the fact that we have already seen more takes on this particular scene. I imagine that if I hadn't known anything about the specifics of that scene, I'd be even more enthralled by it.

The acting was brilliant as per the usual. I'm completely on board the Armitage train now. The way he uses his voice... that's some proper nightmare fuel right there. And Mads was so terribly cheeky, this week really brought out Hannibal's sly humorous side. Bedelia was evil as ever, Gillian Anderson really is an impressive actress. Also major shout-out to [spoiler]Raul Esparza. Chilton - in previous adaptations - has never been a particularly memorable character, but he's just so good here. You know he's a piece of shit, but you just feel for the guy. He sells it so well. If Hannibal ever returns (please, pretty please with a cherry on top) I hope we get to see him again[/spoiler]

This episode was near perfect. I think the only thing I disliked was the conversation between Will and Bedelia in the beginning. [spoiler]Spelling Hannibal's feelings for Will out so clearly is a bit to on the nose for my taste. I like their relationship more if it's just heavily hinted at in the subtext[/spoiler]

EDIT: Also, when this season ends, we should really have a conversation about how we think Fuller would have ended the series. I'm not ready to admit total defeat yet, so I think some speculation would be a fine place to leave the series for now :D

As for next episode, I hope that [spoiler] Hannibal escapes. I would love it if he would somehow use that magazine Chilton shoved through the hole this episode. Although they'll probably just show some dead people and shattered glass to keep it mysterious. Anyone willing to take a bet (for good old fashioned honour) that Hannibal escapes, kills Alanna and then, when Will is getting maimed by the Red Dragon comes in to save the day and kill Dolarhyde? Although, now that I think about it the whole - lamb goes berserk thing - might come into play as well :) [/spoiler]

I was reminded of this while watching this episode, it made it hard to keep a straight face at times.

:bowdown: :lmao: Me too XD Still, I think they did a very good job differentiating themselves from previous takes on the material :)

Archived