Did Rickard Stark know about Robert Baratheon?

KingStannisFan

Robert had one bastard at the time. It's not a super big deal, especially when considering the amount of power Robert brings to the union. He's a Lord Paramount in his own right, and cousin to the royal family. I'm sure Rickard would still make a deal.

Also, Rickard would assume Robert would stop his infidelities, which he might (at least try).

Robert had one bastard at the time. It's not a super big deal, especially when considering the amount of power Robert brings to the union. He's a Lord Paramount in his own right, and cousin to the royal family. I'm sure Rickard would still make a deal.

Also, Rickard would assume Robert would stop his infidelities, which he might (at least try).

It was not consier immoral even if a married man to have a mistress and have a few bastards, as long as he treat his own family decent enough up to the standard of that society and do not forget The marriage between Lyanna and Robert was at least part of political marriage, Rickard would become a laughting stock among the great Lords if he disapprove this marriage just because Robert's womanizing

It was not consier immoral even if a married man to have a mistress and have a few bastards, as long as he treat his own family decent enough up to the standard of that society and do not forget The marriage between Lyanna and Robert was at least part of political marriage, Rickard would become a laughting stock among the great Lords if he disapprove this marriage just because Robert's womanizing

The Starks are honorable to a fault though.

Ned was.  Brandon seems to have been somewhat less honorable.  Even if Lord Rickard was more of Ned's persuasion, he understood the realities of life.  Robert might have a dozen bastards, but only his wife's children would inherit.

You're looking at this through modern day lenses.  Throughout most of history, daughters were treated as bargaining chips for the nobility.  A way to tie houses together to strengthen their position.

To be fair, that was not much the difference for the sons of the great noble house, their marriage usually would be political marriages to the benefit of their houses, but we should not jump to the conclusion that these political marriage could not become a happy marriage

I don't think marrital fidelity was considered as important back then as it is for us now. And apart from that, Robert was an okay guy. He was a good fighter, he was handsome, he isn't the sort of person who would mistreat his wife (Cersei is a especial case), he's Ned's best friend, he is a powerful lord.... I'm sure Rickard thought Lyanna would be happy. Sure, he seems to like sleeping around, but no one's perfect..

Archived