Taking notes?

Rogar_the_Huntsman

About to start my first re-read of the series (super excited) and I'm curious to know if anyone has any tips/tricks for note taking and character summaries and the like. How do you go about taking notes (if you do)? I'm just trying to come up with different ways of taking notes and seeing which one would be most effective for me.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have kindle versions of each book, so highlighting is pretty easy and versatile. Sometimes I tried to follow a color-code but it usually just ends up as a mess with no order.

Example, the four colors I can work with are pink, blue, orange, and yellow.

Pink = Catelyn's thoughts and emotions

Blue = Tully/Water/River allusions

Orange = Political observations

Yellow = Robb/other characters/random

I just started a chapter by chapter analysis and this what I have been doing. I underline main parts of the chapter, plot and such and I place a dot next to paragraphs that I had an interesting thought when I read it and underline the part that will spark that memory. writing in the margins always works. Also to keep track of characters I have been doing this to all of my books. http://i.imgur.com/2lX4V6F.jpg

http://imgur.com/pFZGj1V

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently doing a re-read with some friends and i have just been keeping a note book and pen at my side so at any point if i need to i can just jot down a quick phrase or quote or thoughts. Its mostly for later analysis or conversation not so much for remembering who people are. I find it quite handy rather than highlighting anything because it is also a exercise to help you remember it from off you own head.

• 2 months later...

I usually just underline one or two parts each chapter and if need be place a mark nearby (like a question mark or an exclamation mark). This way i am forced to weigh different phrases against each other which automatically leads to increased attentiveness.

Furthermore during my re-read it feels much easier to assign and remember all the detail anyways.

Archived