Dany Can't Have More Dragons

KingStannisFan

All three of her dragons are MALE. So once they die there will be no more. Thoughts?

Orginarily that may be the case.  But there are still dragon eggs all over the place.  Very wealthy people have them in their collection.  Dany can always get more and hatch them. 

The girl hatched dragons from eggs so old that they had already turned to stone.  I don't think it would matter how long the egg has been sitting in a rich man's collection. 

She already bonded with Drogon.  Any more dragons would be of no use to her.  She can only ride one.   She's a very smart girl and knows her monopoly on dragons gives her the advantage.  She is not going to hatch any more dragons that could be riden by a potential enemy. 

Orginarily that may be the case.  But there are still dragon eggs all over the place.  Very wealthy people have them in their collection.  Dany can always get more and hatch them.

GRRM has called that a one-time-only, unrepeatable occurrence. If Dany tried it again, she'd probably just burn to death.

She already bonded with Drogon.  Any more dragons would be of no use to her.  She can only ride one.

Of course the idea of her straddling two dragons, one leg on each, is silly, but there's no reason she couldn't ride one dragon who's riding another who's riding another, or, as someone (Codename: Nymeria? I forget...) suggested, have them swallow each other and fly one big turdraken. Plus, I can only ride one vehicle at a time, but I still own a car, a motorcycle, two scooters, and a bicycle. Sure, that's because half of them are always in the shop, because they're all products of that famous quality British or Italian engineering... but then what are Westeros and Valyria but that world's parallels to Britain and Italy? If Drogon is like a Fiat design put together at an MG factory, or an Aprilia built by Triumph, he's gone to spend a lot of time down with carburetor trouble.

More seriously, more dragons are of use to her if she picks up other potential dragonriding allies. Just as her ancestor Aegon I did.

AFFC:

Dragons are mentioned by sex, yup, but that's because they exist as male or female for a certain period of time. It could be that Balerion was male for the most of his life but transitioned into female for a few years and then back again. It could be the dragons mentioned by sex never transitioned at all. What is important is that dragons change sex.

Barth saying that makes it plausible.

So how can there EVER be a viable long-term population of dragons? With three even if they could reproduce the inbreeding will make them die out eventually.

Have you forgotten that dragons are magical creatures?  Their magical components might vary the genes somehow and make inbreeding a non-issue.

Have you forgotten that dragons are magical creatures?  Their magical components might vary the genes somehow and make inbreeding a non-issue.

No, he's a troll. Otherwise, he'd probably know and/or realize that there was a viable population of dragons for the first 130 or so years following Aegon's conquest.

No, he's a troll. Otherwise, he'd probably know and/or realize that there was a viable population of dragons for the first 130 or so years following Aegon's conquest.

Wow. You know nothing about ASOIAf apparently.

The dragons were becoming weaker and deformed because of the INBREEDING. Look it up. They died out due to that.

It has been hinted at that there may yet exist a population of dragons elsewhere in the world. Nothing even remotely conclusive, but if it is true there may yet be hope for the species. So far as we know, most of them died in the Doom. The only survivors we are aware of were on Dragonstone. But there's a chance...

It has been hinted at that there may yet exist a population of dragons elsewhere in the world. Nothing even remotely conclusive, but if it is true there may yet be hope for the species. So far as we know, most of them died in the Doom. The only survivors we are aware of were on Dragonstone. But there's a chance...

That could open up a whole new path for the story. But I really do believe that we're going to see more people involved in dragon business than just Dany or Euron

The dragons were becoming weaker and deformed because of the INBREEDING. Look it up. They died out due to that.

No. Most of the adult dragons (and some younger ones) died fighting one another during a war called the dance of the dragons. Look it up.
And as its been hinted in a feast for crows, the maesters were responsible for the deaths of the remaining dragons.
If your going to be snarky, make sure you've got your facts straight.

No. Most of the adult dragons (and some younger ones) died fighting one another during a war called the dance of the dragons. Look it up.
And as its been hinted in a feast for crows, the maesters were responsible for the deaths of the remaining dragons.

Okay I know most of them died, but there was still inbreeding.

Or how about the fact that we are only referrencing Danny's dragons as male because she gave them boys' names.

It's not like we have had numerous dragon experts running tests on the dragon hormones.

The Westerosi would not yet have the technology to determine gender on any species w/o exposed genitals unless they had an egg clutch or something similar.

If I didn't know a thing about dogs, and I got a puppy and named it Bob - I'd say, "here boy". So others would also say "here boy".

But I don't know a thing about dogs. It's a 50/50 chance Bob's a girl. Danny has three Bobs, anyone of them could be a girl.

:agree:

Okay I know most of them died, but there was still inbreeding.

The dragons that were hatched later that were stunted and died young didn't have anything to do with inbreeding.  That's a knee-jerk assumption that, IMO, we're supposed to make.  Looking closer you can see how it was the work of the Maester's and the Dance of the Dragons that killed them.  Maester's are trying to build a world without magic.  Since dragon's are magical you can't exactly apply biological ideas from the RR to them. 

:agree:

The dragons that were hatched later that were stunted and died young didn't have anything to do with inbreeding.  That's a knee-jerk assumption that, IMO, we're supposed to make.  Looking closer you can see how it was the work of the Maester's and the Dance of the Dragons that killed them.  Maester's are trying to build a world without magic.  Since dragon's are magical you can't exactly apply biological ideas from the RR to them. 

RR?

Or how about the fact that we are only referrencing Danny's dragons as male because she gave them boys' names.
It's not like we have had numerous dragon experts running tests on the dragon hormones.
The Westerosi would not yet have the technology to determine gender on any species w/o exposed genitals unless they had an egg clutch or something similar.

If I didn't know a thing about dogs, and I got a puppy and named it Bob - I'd say, "here boy". So others would also say "here boy".
But I don't know a thing about dogs. It's a 50/50 chance Bob's a girl. Danny has three Bobs, anyone of them could be a girl.

I agree

Does the text say anywhere that they were weaker and smaller due to inbreeding?  I was under the impression that it was because dragons raised in the dragonpit/captivity didn't grow as large.

Archived