EW Scoop: Ian McShane Joins Cast

Westeros

When I first heard the news, I was on the Ian McShane for Randyll Tarly camp, until someone on the web suggested the mad king and I'm now convinced.

It totally fits in with the description of a small yet important role, and the fact that season 6 is possibly going to use Bran weirwood skills for flashback scenes.

I don't want to typecast the guy (I too grew up watching his loveable rogue, Lovejoy, and my mum had a massive crush on the character), but there's no denying that since his roles in Sexy Beast, Deadwood, Pillars Of The Earth, etc... he is very good at playing the baddie, or at least someone with questionable morals.

And ever since since I saw him in American Horror Story: Asylum, he is my favourite Santa Clause of all time...

I don't want to typecast the guy (I too grew up watching his loveable rogue, Lovejoy, and my mum had a massive crush on the character), but there's no denying that since his roles in Sexy Beast, Deadwood, Pillars Of The Earth, etc... he is very good at playing the baddie, or at least someone with questionable morals.

I was going to say almost the exact same thing (though my own mother has only recently discovered Lovejoy). I'd kind of like him to be Marwyn, because it'd showcase a bit of that lighter side that most younger viewers haven't seen from McShane - but he'd just be so damn good in a 'bad' role. Though I think he'd be a bit better as Tarly than someone flat-out crazy like Aerys (who, anyway, is only 39 during Robert's Rebellion).

• 2 weeks later...

"Out of his element" is silly. He's been acting for over 50 years! He's played a lot of roles, running the gamut of genres and character types. Before he was famous as Swearegen, he was best known as Lovejoy, the unctuous antique dealer in a comedy-drama sort of thing.

He could play a Manderly-type character pretty well, I suppose. That said, I'm pretty sure that's not in the cards.

He was also in the Hercules movie with The Rock.

It says his character is central to a protagonist's storyline.  Also, little screentime but very important.  Tarly and Euron should have decent roles. 

I think it's Marwyn.   

When I look at him, I see a Marwyn or a Euron - but don't they already have someone for Euron? He'd make a good coldhands too, but it's doubtful we'll ever get Coldhands. 

No on Connington, imo, and I don't think he looks like a Meribald either, although I suppose you could use any weather-beaten dude to play him. I don't think he looks like a Stark either. With his darker coloring, he could pass for someone from Essos.. 

I still think Marwyn fits the description of a small role that's major to a main character. We last saw Marwyn playing with glass candles and leaving to go to Dany.  I for one cannot believe he would do so without bringing a glass candle with him, what with the fate of the world in the balance and all, which means he might be showing up in Meereen at any point in the story next season, and when he does, he will represent the most knowledge of dragons (more than Tyrion even) and especially Valyrian magic that Dany has and access to. He might play a VERY important role in a very short amount of screen time. I for one think we will see Asshai only through some kind of vision - people suspect a Mel flashback, but I favor Dany using a glass candle under Marwyn's tutelage to see a vision of Asshai. There is SOME TRUTH that she needs to learn in Asshai, as Quaithe tells her in book 3. 

ETA: yes, Euron is already cast, and its not McShane:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/09/02/game-of-thrones-euron-greyjoy-cast-for-season-6

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 9:24 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

When I read Wyman Manderly, it's Ian McShane.  As much as I'd like to see this, I think the other characters proposed are more likely.

I always see Robbie Coltrane as Lord Manderly in my head. And Ian McShane as Marwyn, definitely a good fit there. It's easy to picture him delivering that description of prophecy's treacherous side.

Archived