Wyman Manderly's fate

nmrch

I know he's a fan favorite, especially for the "The North remembers" speech but its pretty obvious to me his days are numbered. He seems to have gone to Winterfell on pretty much a suicide mission now that his heir is back and he doesn't have to worry about White Harbor falling in to the wrong hands. 

Roose sends him out against Stannis and i can't see him surviving the battle. My prediction is he will die in the battle when the Manderly forces try to cut down the retreating Freys after they nearly get wiped out on the lake trap Stannis sets for them. 

The only question is will he get a chance to reveal his false loyalties to Stannis and maybe even the conspiracy with Davos and Rickon. And if he does would Stannis believe him? I'm just hoping Stannis doesn't take his head before Wyman gets a chance to talk.

Isn't Wyman still in Winterfell because of that cut of the throat he got? More of a hostage than a lord, but still..

Roose Bolton sends out the Manderlys and the Freys to rid himself of them mostly, maybe that's not revealed yet in the TDWD, i can't remember, my mistake if that's the case. TWOW Theon sample chapter makes it pretty clear though, the Manderly force is being led by Wyman himself. 

I don't think it was a suicide mission. I think he was there with purpose. If he wasn't there Bolton would be on to him. He also gets to be in crucible of the events and be in more control.

My personal theory is that Manderly and his cohorts had another plan - but then no one foresaw snow, snow and more snow. So he has an army somewhere out there he is waiting to hook up with. The Manderly forces who rode out are likely going to rendezvous with them.

It doesn't matter that Maderly was injured. He is lord to fat to ride and wouldn't have gone with them regardless.

He is just waiting for the right time to expose Bolton to the North for the Red Wedding and Lady Hornwood and killing the Cerwyns the Fake Arya. There is a high drama confrontation between him and Roose that is inevitable. They open the gates for his scouts and his entire army just rides in.

Manderly will likely arrive to push the rest of the Freys into the lake. I think he and Stannis will come up with a plan. He arrives at WF with head with Stannis's crown and Lightbringer, convincing the Boltons that Stannis is dead. The Boltons, thinking the rebellion is crushed, leave for the Wall to retrieve "Arya" and Reek. Manderly opens the gates of WF to Stannis after they leave.

Manderly is doing his own version of the Norths "its time to go hunting".

His heir is safe in White Harbor, the Freys that were due to wed his kin are coincidentally dead and he's brought enough troops to seem loyal (and enough to rip the Freys to shreds between them losing leadership and turning cloak at an optimum time).

There is similar reasoning to as why Whoresbane Umber has the greybeards inside Winterfell.

If the supposition that the missing Freys did coldly furnish forth the marriage table is correct, he is cursed.  But I'm pretty sure he would say it was worth it.

That's interesting.  Suppose it's true.  Stannis and Manderly work out an alliance.  Stannis hears about the Frey pie.  Stannis just roasted his own men for going cannibal rather than starve themselves.  Would Stannis let it go, or barbecue Stannis for going cannibal?   Manderly can't claim starvation drove him.  His appearance would out that lie. 

If the supposition that the missing Freys did coldly furnish forth the marriage table is correct, he is cursed.  But I'm pretty sure he would say it was worth it.

The Rat King was cursed for breaking guest right, Manderly did no such thing. He gave the Freys guest gifts, which signals the end of guest right.

That's interesting.  Suppose it's true.  Stannis and Manderly work out an alliance.  Stannis hears about the Frey pie.  Stannis just roasted his own men for going cannibal rather than starve themselves.  Would Stannis let it go, or barbecue Stannis for going cannibal?   Manderly can't claim starvation drove him.  His appearance would out that lie.

Manderly wasn't under Stannis command when he brought the pies to WF, so it's of no concern to him.

Manderley will just claim that they weren't human they were Freys.

He is just waiting for the right time to expose Bolton to the North for the Red Wedding and Lady Hornwood and killing the Cerwyns the Fake Arya. There is a high drama confrontation between him and Roose that is inevitable. They open the gates for his scouts and his entire army just rides in.

Wait-wait. Manderly ALREADY united everyone, including lady Dustin, against Boltons. 

Why would anyone tell him about that?

Archived