Can the Others sexually reproduce?

Miss

Well, do you think the wife of the Nights King was an other? That would mean they have two sexes, at least.

Didn't Old Nan say the Others had children with human women?

Yes, she did.  Specifically those Wildling women lay with the Others during the Long Night and had "terrible, half-human children."

Yes, she did.  Specifically those Wildling women lay with the Others during the Long Night and had "terrible, half-human children."

My favorite crackpot theory is that Roose Bolton is descended from the Others. For no other reason than his eyes, and he creeps me out.

My favorite crackpot theory is that Roose Bolton is descended from the Others. For no other reason than his eyes, and he creeps me out.

Isn't that disproven somewhat by him having a normal son (Domeric)?

EDIT: Oh nvm, I thought you meant the Roose IS an Other theory.

I think that the Other are predominantly male, with females being a rarity among them.

There are some mythological beings which are within the group of myths that GRRM seems to take inspiration from, which are human like but have otherworldly features, are pale (of skin, hair and eye), are predominately male and are also are nocturnal and prefer the cold.

I think the Others likely sexually reproduce given we have yet to encounter a race that doesn't. 

I think that the Other are predominantly male, with females being a rarity among them.

I think that's because we've only seen their warriors which are men. How many men bring their women to battle? 

Very Lovecraftian 

I think that's because we've only seen their warriors which are men. How many men bring their women to battle?

The Wildlings.

The Hyrkoon, although it's not clear if they bring their men to battle.

The Jogos Nhai, although the women have to dress as and call themselves men.

Some of the Rhoynish/Dornish.

Of course they are steril... haven't you listen to Preston Jacobs explain how the last long night was a nuclear winter that pushed the SciFi sociaty back to the middle ages? No, it was just a joke, I don't believe it, and don't want to discuss it :cool4:

I think they could reproduce. Old Nan says so, and she is right about pretty much everything. They take Crasters children as sacrifce, but can we really assume they turn them just because it is in the TV-show? They might as well drink their blood. And do they really need to reproduce or can they even die of old age?

^Agreed, the babies are more likely sacrifices, Old Nan says as much by saying that the Others feed their undead armies on the blood of babies, and you all just agreed Old Nans word is probably right.

Not with their queen locked away in the crypts of Winterfell.

Old Nan is their Queen!

Yes, she did.Specifically  those Wildling women lay with the Others during the Long Night and had "terrible, half-human children."

Hodor!

Or are they all just Craster's sons? Is it ever mentioned they're a race of their own, or are they just mutated humans, like vampires? It's so unclear.

According to Stannis they are "demons made of snow and ice and cold" [my emphasis] and in an interview back in March of this year GRRM confirmed that when Sam pinked Ser Puddles with the dragonglass he broke the magic spell holding him together.

So no, they are not a race of their own, but magic someone has worked.

According to Stannis they are "demons made of snow and ice and cold" [my emphasis] and in an interview back in March of this year GRRM confirmed that when Sam pinked Ser Puddles with the dragonglass he broke the magic spell holding him together.

Yes, I'm more inclined to believe that the babies are sacrificed in some part of the magical process of making an Other, not that the babies themselves are Others.

People assume that because the show had a baby's eyes turn blue that that means it became an Other, but there are lots of different explanations. Maybe they just sucked its soul out somehow and an innocent soul is what is needed to fuel the power of the magic that holds an Other together.

Agreed. They are unnatural magical constructs. I think dragons are also a sort of unnatural magical constructs. Nature does not produce species that threatens to extinguish all the other life forms.

Sexual reproduction means bringin life to the world. The Others are against life, warmth etc. A think that if Others make new others is more like the vampire scenario (needing living beings - ex. Casters sons) ore the golem scenario (Others "constructing" by magic Others - from water, ice ... )

Or are they all just Craster's sons? Is it ever mentioned they're a race of their own, or are they just mutated humans, like vampires? It's so unclear.

Of course they are steril... haven't you listen to Preston Jacobs explain how the last long night was a nuclear winter that pushed the SciFi sociaty back to the middle ages? No, it was just a joke, I don't believe it, and don't want to discuss it :cool4:

I think they could reproduce. Old Nan says so, and she is right about pretty much everything. They take Crasters children as sacrifce, but can we really assume they turn them just because it is in the TV-show? They might as well drink their blood. And do they really need to reproduce or can they even die of old age?

I feared this might come up, at least it was contained.

Archived