What did Melisandre see in Stannis?

Dr Qyburn M.D

She saw a vision of Stannis holding Lightbringer when facing the darkness, and she figured that Dragonstone being an Island volcano is the place of Salt and Smoke.

The Red Star Bleeding happens right at the moment of a great war erupting, when that man is claiming to be the rightful king. It all points to be him in her mind, and it's not exacly a far fetched conclusion, considering the above.

Then she gets a bunch of visions that have to do with him, which according to her POV she actually believe come right from her god. Readers give her shit for not seeing that it's clearly Dany, or Jon, or Hot Pie, but so far she has the best track record of correct visions and properly reading them and acting upon them. She is the main reason why Davos' blood runs cold while reading about Wildlings and dead NW. She is the main reason why the Wall and the NW still stand. The main reason why an obsidian mine is actively getting ready for the Long Night 2.0. So far, she seems like she was right. Is Lightbringer a sham? Most likely. Does it matter? If Stannis does everything that AAR should be doing? Not at all. Aemon thought that a false Lightbringer can only lead to darkness. Then again the guy thought a bunch of things that were not all right and there is nothing saying that Lightbringer is also hot for the user. That would be kinda stupid, as there would be no way to use it, now would there?

That was what I was always wondering about. If Stannis had attacked Kings Landing instead of going to see Renly, he porberly would have won. There is this dialogue between Davos and, how do you wright it, Salazar? where it is actually stated, that they have enough ships and Kings Landing is in chaos. The chain wasn't ready, neither was the wildfire, and they could've taken the city and the throne. But instead Mel leads Stannis to kill his brother. If that wasn't her misinterpreting, someone is sending her the wrong visions. It feels like Stannis was lead to go to the North and not sit the iron throne. It also seems, she has been at Dragon Stone, before Stannis got there. She made good with Selyse at first. I wonder what has made her believe that Stannis was Azor Ahai, to me he is clearly not. But if she had seen his face in the flames, wouldn't that mean that a Baratheon is Azor Ahai, and she just got the wrong one? They all look rather alike, and the flames are not clear as a picture, I imagine :)

Hopefully we'll find out more about her agenda in later books. Her introduction as a POV character in ADwD excited me greatly. Like her or dislike, you can't dispute the fact that she's interesting, and seeing things from her point of view may shed some light as to why she believes Stannis to be Azor Ahai.

Except only two other people, who have visions - GoHH and Morqorro, have much more percise visions and are much better with interpreting them.

And Mel led Lannisters to victory in the WotFK

Doesn't Thoros also have visions? Even though you never really hear about them I think in ASoS they talk about how he sees things in the fire.

Maybe Dragonstone? Rhaegar lived there and Dany was born there. When she started searching for Azor Ahai, Stannis lived there.

Thats exactly why ..

she says that herselft to jon

and jon thinks to himself that she got it wrong because stannis was not born at dragonstone only lord ..we do know who was born there

Did she give Stannis Lightbringer? How could she not realize it was a false? 

I suppose she is now realizing how wrong she was and maybe is about to understand why she keeps seeing Jon in the fire, but I find quite strange that she never thinks about Dany when in Essos she's already a superstar. 

I'm one of these people who think that Azor Ahai isn't really a person, more a concept. 3 seems to be an important number all over when it comes to prophecy. So, I'm going with the three dragon riders are combined Azor Ahai. Mel is really not very good with her interpretations, she has other magics that she is working much better.

There is proof for all different kind of theories, so I figured I just go with the one that feels the most right for me.

Archived