Name your biggest criticism of the series

James Steller

Admit it, as great as the books are, we all have a couple things we don't like about this series, whether it's in the story itself, the writing style, the setup of Planetos, so what aspect of ASOIAF do you like least?

For me, it's the inconsistency with relatives and descendants, and just how obviously plot driven it can be. Houses are realistically portrayed as having many living descendants as they would have after thousands of years, while others seem to survive on one branch throughout the years and are just waiting around long enough to die out at the right time. Even when they'd realistically have lots of relatives by this point. Ie the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Freys as opposed to the Baratheons, Tullys, and almost all the Northern houses.

The quagmire of stagnation that was ADWFFC. That was when the books went belly up and I have concerns that WoW will just be another few thousand pages of baths, crevasse games and meal/banner/genital descriptions. 

Honestly I think it's the fact that so much remains unknown. I believe GRRM once said, that since it is Magic and Fantasy one cannot hope to reach beyond all secrets and enigmas, but why mention stuff like Ulthos, Yi Ti, Asshai etc. if you don't mean to offer as some sort of explanation? I know it does add character and dimension to the story but it bugs me not to get to know everything!

I wish more of the travelling happened off page. Brienne and Tyrion's travellogues in Feast were so hard to get through. I appreciate that travelling takes a long time. And I'm glad characters don't have the ability to beam themselves to places like Star Trek like they do in the tv show. I'd just rather have them disappear from the book and make a dramatic entrance later on. Give that page space to other characters.

For me, it's the inconsistency with relatives and descendants, and just how obviously plot driven it can be. Houses are realistically portrayed as having many living descendants as they would have after thousands of years, while others seem to survive on one branch throughout the years and are just waiting around long enough to die out at the right time. Even when they'd realistically have lots of relatives by this point. Ie the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Freys as opposed to the Baratheons, Tullys, and almost all the Northern houses.

I agree. I find it quite unbelievable how the Starks and the Baratheons seem to have no kin but only Rickard's and Steffon's branch.

The first thing I can think about is actually very specific. I loved everything I read and I found it all very realistic till I arrived at a certain Cat chapter, I don't remember which one it was exactly but she was with her dying father and he said the word "Tansy" and from the one word Catelyn proceeded to conclude that Hoster forced Lysa to abort her unborn child.  I found that kind of unrealistic, she'd need to get at least a little more information to come to that conclusion, no person can figure that out from just one word that they don't even know what it means until they also conclude that somehow. I felt like it was a bit of lazy writing on GRRM's part, that he needed to find a way to tell us that history of Lysa but he couldn't find a more realistic way to do it, or was too lazy to try. That's just a small complaint though in my opinion, overal the books are some of the best I've read.

Archived