A reason I think Barristan will make it to Westeros

Back in AGOT, Ned stark was promised the support of King's Landing's city watch by Littlefinger when he went to confront Cersei and Joffrey about who would rule in Roberts absence.  Littlefinger of course lied about this and the city watch took out Ned's men and Ned was arrested.  Since then, Littlefinger's role in Ned's arrest in unknown to anyone outside of the throne room when it happened.  If it was known, some one like Sansa Stark may be hesitant to put so much trust in Littlefinger. 

Since LF and Sansa have been together, there has been no real reason for Sansa to have a major issue with LF.  Sure, he admitted to assisting in both Jon Arryn's and Joffrey's murder, killed Lysa, and is just generally a creep who openly talks to Sansa about the political games that are played in Westeros but there is no reason for her to think that he has caused or has ever intended to cause harm to the Starks.  That being said, when or if Sansa ever comes to power she has no real reason to bring harm to LF because as far as she knows he's just a creepy guy who has helped her and even put his life on the line for her.  

That is where Barristan Selmy would come a long.  When Dany and he make their way to Westeros, let's just say there is a confrontation between them and Sansa.  Wherever it takes place and whatever the context of this confrontation, Barristan would recognize Sansa (one of the few in Westeros who could) and if she happens to still be with Littlefinger he would probably be compelled to let her know of LF's betrayal of her father, whom he, at the least, had respect for.  This could also lay the groundwork for an alliance between Dany and Sansa.  This would be a very gratifying way to see LF get what he deserves, especially if other Vale lords, who fought with Ned during Roberts Rebellion, are around to hear the truth.

Now, obviously this doesn't have to happen but I feel that in one way shape or form, Sansa will eventually be made aware of what Littlefinger did to her father and the only people still alive (please correct me if I'm wrong) from that confrontation are Barristan, Cersei, and the Hound.  The Hound is either dead or digging graves and I don't see this happening with Cersei, although that would be interesting as well.

Back in AGOT, Ned stark was promised the support of King's Landing's city watch by Littlefinger when he went to confront Cersei and Joffrey about who would rule in Roberts absence.  Littlefinger of course lied about this and the city watch took out Ned's men and Ned was arrested.  Since then, Littlefinger's role in Ned's arrest in unknown to anyone outside of the throne room when it happened.  If it was known, some one like Sansa Stark may be hesitant to put so much trust in Littlefinger. 

Since LF and Sansa have been together, there has been no real reason for Sansa to have a major issue with LF.  Sure, he admitted to assisting in both Jon Arryn's and Joffrey's murder, killed Lysa, and is just generally a creep who openly talks to Sansa about the political games that are played in Westeros but there is no reason for her to think that he has caused or has ever intended to cause harm to the Starks.  That being said, when or if Sansa ever comes to power she has no real reason to bring harm to LF because as far as she knows he's just a creepy guy who has helped her and even put his life on the line for her.  

That is where Barristan Selmy would come a long.  When Dany and he make their way to Westeros, let's just say there is a confrontation between them and Sansa.  Wherever it takes place and whatever the context of this confrontation, Barristan would recognize Sansa (one of the few in Westeros who could) and if she happens to still be with Littlefinger he would probably be compelled to let her know of LF's betrayal of her father, whom he, at the least, had respect for.  This could also lay the groundwork for an alliance between Dany and Sansa.  This would be a very gratifying way to see LF get what he deserves, especially if other Vale lords, who fought with Ned during Roberts Rebellion, are around to hear the truth.

Now, obviously this doesn't have to happen but I feel that in one way shape or form, Sansa will eventually be made aware of what Littlefinger did to her father and the only people still alive (please correct me if I'm wrong) from that confrontation are Barristan, Cersei, and the Hound.  The Hound is either dead or digging graves and I don't see this happening with Cersei, although that would be interesting as well.

I'm not sure that Selmy knew LF betrayed Ned. That was LF and Slynt's thing, and I thought that happened after Selmy's dismissal.

In AGOT, Cersei commands Barristan to seize Ned and he hesitates as Ned's men surround him.  Then Slynt commands his men and they attack Ned's men.  Then the whole scene ends with Littlefinger putting his dagger up to Ned's throat and telling him he should have never trusted him.

So Barristan was there and even if he didn't witness LF admitting to his betrayal he definitely saw Ned walk in with the LF, Slynt and the city watch whom he was subsequently betrayed by.

In AGOT, Cersei commands Barristan to seize Ned and he hesitates as Ned's men surround him.  Then Slynt commands his men and they attack Ned's men.  Then the whole scene ends with Littlefinger putting his dagger up to Ned's throat and telling him he should have never trusted him.

So Barristan was there and even if he didn't witness LF admitting to his betrayal he definitely saw Ned walk in with the LF, Slynt and the city watch whom he was subsequently betrayed by.

You're right, I misremembered.

Barristan was indeed present for it. In fact he hesitated when Cersei ordered Ned arrested.

Good point OP!  That would be a great reason for Barry to continue.  I do think he'll die at some point, but I really think it won't be until after he's back in Westeros.

And actually I could see LF killing him, and then Dany giving Drogon a little (finger) snack.

I do hope that Barristan makes it back to Westeros, not only for what he witnessed re: Littlefinger, but also for the legitimacy he would bring to Dany, along with his advice (even if the latter would likely mostly be used to confirm claims of Tyrion, a man more likely to speak harsh truths).

I do hope that Barristan makes it back to Westeros, not only for what he witnessed re: Littlefinger, but also for the legitimacy he would bring to Dany, along with his advice (even if the latter would likely mostly be used to confirm claims of Tyrion, a man more likely to speak harsh truths).

I agree. I still think he may die in the Battle of Mereen but I just feel like there will be a scene where Sansa finds out how LF betrayed her father and Barristan seems to be the more interesting of the candidates to expose him.

Doubt it, she'll piece together what LF is herself as a form of self awakening. Lysa dropped that she killed JA at LF's behest, along with the letter.

You told me to put the tears in Jon's wine, and I did. For Robert, and for us! And I wrote Catelyn and told her the Lannisters had killed my lord husband, just as you said.
Sansa has the information in her head, but isn't yet a player and so doesn't understand what the information means.

Barristan will make it to Westeros, he needs to hear Jaime explain why he killed Aerys.

@OP: This is one of the many little things I want Barristan to do in Westeros. But it would be more satisfying if it was the Hound who convinces Sansa of LF's betrayal. Because the Hound is one of those people LF despise or takes no note of, because the Hound will never be a player, he is not even piece. That he can have a significant impact on sansa should hurt LF.

Ser Grandfather's to-do list on return to Westeros:

1. Help unravel the Blackfyre/Brightflame conspiracy, by telling JonCon that fAegon looks nothing like Rhaegar or Elia, and you can easily stumble upon a purple-eyed, blonde haired kid in Lys or Volantis.
  2. Meet Howland Reed, and find out what happened in ToJ. As a prominent member of the KG, Barristan deserves the truth about the 3 KG who died there.
  3. Meet Jon and form a good opinion of him. If R+L=J, Jon is the king he was supposed to serve, and finally a king who deserves that service. Or else, wonder inwardly if Jon was Ashara's son, despite the story of stillborn daughter.
  4. Meet Jaime or Brienne, and find out why Jaime killed Aerys, and that Jaime's killing of Aerys was more heroic than Barristan's saving Aerys at Duskendale.
  5. Somehow find Arya Stark disguised as a boy, wearing a helm, shouting stuff, and use the connection to realize Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

So many possiblities, still many people here are 100% sure Barristan is gonna die within first 100 pages of tWoW. :(

His bloody speech is not helping my own hopes about his survival, either.

There are so many things BS knows that could be valuable to various characters. It is frustrating! However I am coming around to thinking he will die at some point before Westeros. If so, I suspect the critical knowledge he has will first be transferred to Tyrion and/or Jorah.

Just as potentially important things he knows:

1. What baby Aegon looked like.
2. Who Lewyn Martell's lover was.
3. Rhaegar's feeling for Lyanna and details about what actually took place under Aerys.
4. That Dany has Ashara's eyes. Why on Earth would Dany have Ashara's eyes?
5. Who "dishonoured" Ashara, and what the hell is meant by that.

@OP: This is one of the many little things I want Barristan to do in Westeros. But it would be more satisfying if it was the Hound who convinces Sansa of LF's betrayal. Because the Hound is one of those people LF despise or takes no note of, because the Hound will never be a player, he is not even piece. That he can have a significant impact on sansa should hurt LF.
Ser Grandfather's to-do list on return to Westeros:

• Help unravel the Blackfyre/Brightflame conspiracy, by telling JonCon that fAegon looks nothing like Rhaegar or Elia, and you can easily stumble upon a purple-eyed, blonde haired kid in Lys or Volantis.
  • Meet Howland Reed, and find out what happened in ToJ. As a prominent member of the KG, Barristan deserves the truth about the 3 KG who died there.
  • Meet Jon and form a good opinion of him. If R+L=J, Jon is the king he was supposed to serve, and finally a king who deserves that service. Or else, wonder inwardly if Jon was Ashara's son, despite the story of stillborn daughter.
  • Meet Jaime or Brienne, and find out why Jaime killed Aerys, and that Jaime's killing of Aerys was more heroic than Barristan's saving Aerys at Duskendale.
  • Somehow find Arya Stark disguised as a boy, wearing a helm, shouting stuff, and use the connection to realize Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree.
So many possiblities, still many people here are 100% sure Barristan is gonna die within first 100 pages of tWoW. :(
His bloody speech is not helping my own hopes about his survival, either.

I like the idea of the Hound, I just dont see him beinh in position to confront Sansa and LF. I could see BS and Dany either invading the Vale or going there to seek an alliance and then unexpectedly encountering LF and Sansa. Also, Im pretty sure LF was one of the ones laughing at BS during his dismissal (i dont have the book in front of me so i could be wrong) which would give him even more incentive to expose him.

Also, I dont see why BS would need to confront Jaime about Aerys. They worked together for 15 years after Roberts Rebellion so Im sure BS has already confronted him or lost interest. If anything, Jaime would maybe want to confront BS about it to set the record straight.

Just as potentially important things he knows:

1. What baby Aegon looked like.

Not like it matters that much, baby Aegon was a little baby, and I doubt that Barry spent much time doing the wet nurse around him anyway. It's been a long time and even if he really knew how he looked, it's hard to guess what a baby would look in 15 years...only if he was really different he would maybe notice something.

I like the idea of the Hound, I just dont see him beinh in position to confront Sansa and LF. I could see BS and Dany either invading the Vale or going there to seek an alliance and then unexpectedly encountering LF and Sansa. Also, Im pretty sure LF was one of the ones laughing at BS during his dismissal (i dont have the book in front of me so i could be wrong) which would give him even more incentive to expose him.

Also, I dont see why BS would need to confront Jaime about Aerys. They worked together for 15 years after Roberts Rebellion so Im sure BS has already confronted him or lost interest. If anything, Jaime would maybe want to confront BS about it to set the record straight.

It was Slynt who laughed at Selmy's dismissal.

Archived