The Skull Throne , Book 4 of the Demon Cycle, D SPOILERS***

Frey Pie

SPOILERS****

So I searched through topics here and the only discussion I could see was a few posts on the third book a month or so ago.

In any case what did everyone think of the book? Personally I really liked it, tried to get through it as fast as I could. I like Bretts writing even if he is a bit heavy handed at times (literally anything can get raped in these books).

There is quite a few shocks in this book, the first for me being that Arlen and Jardir are only secondary characters. A whole host get more page time then them.

The second was the title. This book could have been called the Daylight War as a lot more the actual war between the people's of Thesa happened then in the previously titled book. The war itself is quite intriguing and I must say that the death of Thamos hit hard even if it wasn't a surprise. It seems the good guys are having a hard time

Speaking of good guys poor Rojer....I wasn't a big fan of his character but he did bring some humour to the story and I think his POV will be missed

The biggest surprise is the timeline. It seems that the Daylight War is perhaps halfway done. The two deliverers are still sipping tea together after having done little enough. Will the next book be huge? Can it be wrapped up satisfactorily? And what's going on with Leeshas baby?

An idea that came to me is that perhaps we won't get any resolution from this cycle, but from another series of books focused in on the children of these characters

I don't know what will happen in the next book.  I figure they will follow the captured mind down to the Core, and shenanigans will ensue.  What will happen on the surface is anyone's bet.  The climactic coup at the end of the story surprised me.  I do wonder what will happen to Abban.

I was stunned that Rojer died.  I sort of figured that he and Leesha would have plot armor.  I liked him quite a bit and agree that his POV brought some much needed levity and a good perspective on things.

As to Thamos, I was surprised how much I came to like him over the course of the book.  His reactions to Leesha were fairly realistic I thought and he was becoming a very good ruler.

I enjoyed the book.  The entire series is a good quick read for me.

Abban was another shock, especially the way it happened. I had been wondering what the purpose of Hasik was as he's been in every book but seemed to just serve the purpose of a dickish secondary character. Abban is another who brings a bit of humour to the story and a different perspective to the Krasians. He's like the Kruppe or Tyrion of the story is some respects

Any chance that he's not dead? I'm slightly surprised that the hora magic failed here even with how far gone he was

Thamos was easy to like. I especially liked the interplay we saw between him and his brothers....Rhinebeck was such a dick.

Two more points:
Asome and Asukaji are vicious. The part where Asome and Ashia reconcile during the Demon fight and go for the ride after....well I thought she was safe after that at least

why won't the guns be effective against demons?

Would you need to ward the bullets to make them truly work?

Possibly to there full potential but from what I can recall of there description they seemed to be quite explosive against the Krasians. In any case the demons are hurt by normal weapons and can be killed by them. The guns would be very debilitating to them I would think, and could be used effectively to slow them down while warded weapons are brought to bear against them

Archived