What is the last word of Princess Elia before death?

purple-eyes

I was discussing with other people about the last words of Rhaegar and we knew it is Lyanna from APP. 

So I suddenly remembered that Elia also had some last words, which is also a name. 

“My little birds tell me that Princess Elia cried a… certain name… when they came for her.”
“Is a secret still a secret if everyone knows it?” In Casterly Rock, it  was common knowledge that Gregor Clegane had killed Elia and her babe.  They said he had raped the princess with her son’s blood and brains  still on his hands. 
“This secret is your lord father’s sworn man.”
“My father would be the first to tell you that fifty thousand Dornishmen are worth one rabid dog."

Since it is not going to be a real secret if Elia just cried mountain's name (like Tyrion said, and also she may not even know him due to her health and status, I guess) or Rhaegar's name, so what name this is?

By the way, who is "they" here?

My personal theory is that:

This is a small trick which GRRM put here just for some fun. 

Elia cried the name of Arthur Dayne (her love, her safeguard, her childhood friend, her BFF's brother, etc. ). 

Tyrion's lord father is Mad king. 

Arthur Dayne is the sworn KG of Mad King. 

So Rheagar said Lyanna's name at death, and Elia said Arthur Dayne's name at death. 

By the way, I know this can not be true. Just for some fun. 

I don't know about Elia's last words, but if she had a lover, it would be an interesting twist.

It might explain why Rhaegar publicly courted Lyanna at Harrenhal by giving her the garland. Simply put, if Elia was cheating on him (or just flirting with someone else), he might have felt justified in slighting her. It may have been no more than a slight at first though, as Robert Baratheon's betrothed was not exactly available, even for the crown prince.

It's unlikely Aegon isn't/wasn't Rhaegar's son though. Arthur and Rhaegar were kind of BFFs, and this was still the case at Harrenhal (according to Selmy). Plus, Dany's vision in the HotU means it's unlikely Rhaegar didn't think he was the father.

?? I read this as being pretty obviously the Mountain. "The secret is your lord father's sworn man." followed by a reference to a dog. Where is the mystery? 

I don't know about Elia's last words, but if she had a lover, it would be an interesting twist.

It might explain why Rhaegar publicly courted Lyanna at Harrenhal by giving her the garland. Simply put, if Elia was cheating on him (or just flirting with someone else), he might have felt justified in slighting her. It may have been no more than a slight at first though, as Robert Baratheon's betrothed was not exactly available, even for the crown prince.

It's unlikely Aegon isn't/wasn't Rhaegar's son though. Arthur and Rhaegar were kind of BFFs, and this was still the case at Harrenhal (according to Selmy). Plus, Dany's vision in the HotU means it's unlikely Rhaegar didn't think he was the father.

There is a pretty strong precedence of a double standard on this. Men could (and do in the series) cheat all they wanted, women could not. 

There is a pretty strong precedence of a double standard on this. Men could (and do in the series) cheat all they wanted, women could not. 

This is true, but as long as Elia didn't actually (and obviously) commit adultery, there isn't that much that Rhaegar could do about it. Especially since theirs was a political marriage in the first place, and that the Dornish have a more liberal view on sex than other Westerosi. In other words, if she was just flirting, Rhaegar may have felt he could do the same. Events could have gotten out of hand later on for different reasons.

It's just a crazy thought, I'm not seriously entertaining the notion. But it would help explain the mysterious garland-incident.

Of course, since Elia got pregnant shortly before or after Harrenhal, it's a very weak explanation.

There are so many possibilities. It could been either of the children's. It could have been Ser Jaime's. It could have been one of the nanny's or one of the other guards that should have been down the hall or even her mother's. Or it could have just been Clegane who was right in front of her. Though I dislike being a downer, sadly, we'll probably never know.

I agree that it is probably just Mountain. But I just want to feel like Elia was also loved or cared by somebody besides her family.
Even poor Naerys or Rhaella had somebody love them by heart in their sad lives.
By the way, Dragonkight was a real knight to crown Nareys with the disguise of knight of tears, to protect her from being humiliated by her own husband ( he wanted to crown his mistress in stead of his wife)
Unfortunately Rhaegar did exactly opposite thing.

Elia knew she couldn't save her children, or herself, but when Rhaenys's beloved kitten walked into the room and looked up curiously at Gregor, she knew she could at least save one life. "Balerion!" she yelled, and the cat darted out of the room before the Mountain could grab him.

Elia knew she couldn't save her children, or herself, but when Rhaenys's beloved kitten walked into the room and looked up curiously at Gregor, she knew she could at least save one life. "Balerion!" she yelled, and the cat darted out of the room before the Mountain could grab him.

Balerion has been plotting his revenge for 17 years.  :lol:

“My little birds tell me that Princess Elia cried a… certain name… when they came for her.”

“Is a secret still a secret if everyone knows it?” In Casterly Rock, it  was common knowledge that Gregor Clegane had killed Elia and her babe. They said he had raped the princess with her son’s blood and brains  still on his hands.
“This secret is your lord father’s sworn man.”
“My father would be the first to tell you that fifty thousand Dornishmen are worth one rabid dog."

This could be a little bit of a trick on Varys's part: referring to two secrets. (I need to double-check the context, but bear with me.)

Let's call this certain name Secret A, and let's have Secret B refer to "they": Gregor Clegane and Amory Lorch.

“Is a secret still a secret if everyone knows it?”

Tyrion here is clearly referring to Secret B, Gregor Clegane, evidently missing Varys's little hint.

This secret is your lord father’s sworn man.”

"This secret" is Secret B: Varys is referring to Tyrion's use of the word "secret", and is letting Secret A fall by the wayside.

-----------------------

Varys has form in this regard: there's a theory that when he first speaks to Ned about a boy who owes everything to Jon Arryn, he's really trying to lead Ned to suspect Littlefinger, and only mentions Hugh Wotsisface once it's clear Ned failed to pick up on the hint.

And besides, why would Elia's crying the Mountain's name be a significant piece of evidence, when the "little birds" plainly saw the "they" that came for Elia... He could say, "my little birds saw who it was." So the name Elia cries must be significant... maybe.

Archived