What did Leaf mean by this?

RoamingRonin

So! In an effort to get some actual legitimate discussion going (and to steer us away from those lame troll-bait threads that seem to be super popular for some reason), I present you all with this interesting quote:

"For him. The Bran boy. I was born in the time of the dragon, and for two hundred years I walked the world of men, to watch and listen and learn. I might be walking still, but my legs were sore and my heart was weary, so I turned my feet for home."

Question is: what did Leaf mean by this? She said she walked the world of men. That's pretty interesting. It doesn't sound like she only walked around the lands north of the Wall. Sounds like she traveled everywhere. Westeros. Tyrosh. Braavos. Maybe she ate a lemon, tossed the seed aside and is responsible for Dany's lemon tree. A Child of the Forest waltzing around the world unnoticed is a pretty big deal. Did she walk the world of men in her own form or did she do it via skinchanging?

It seems to me that she actually got up and took a tour of the world using her own two feet. Is she the only Child to do this? Is there a special pilgrimage for the Children of the Forest? The implications are interesting: since the Children so long lived, it could be there were Children on a pilgrimage during the time of the Blood Betrayal. That's pretty cool.

Thoughts?

EDITED because this forum doesn't recognize spacing.

It is interesting. Sounds like she did the walking herself, which brings up at least a few things:

Children (or at least Leaf) aren't completely isolated if can go out and walk the world. And see what's going on. Don't need a greenseer to just see--so what else might they need a greenseer for? 

She might have skin changed. Might also have used a glamour--some of the imagery in the cave seems like it might be an illusion or changed--so, if Children can do more than just disguise themselves with leaves, can actually glamour their appearance, what implications could that have? What have they seen and what is their opinion of it?

I like the idea of a Children's pilgrimage. Can you think of any specific evidence? 

"Watch, listen, and learn"--what did she learn? And what does she think of it? Is this tied to why they brought Bran to the cave? So far, she hasn't mentioned anything about helping in the impending Long Night--so, what did she see and what does she want?

I imagine the Children are exceptional at hiding, and likely User methods of Transport across the narrow sea than man made ones, if indees she travelled the free cities at all. Westeros is a very big place after all, Tyrion is extremely well read and wealthy, yet hadnt Seen even half of it.

The children of the forest are also supposed to be really good at hiding.  Its hard to know if its literal or not.

Also this reminds me of the story that Meera tells Bran about the little cranog man aka Howland Reed.

The children of the forest are also supposed to be really good at hiding.  Its hard to know if its literal or not.

Also this reminds me of the story that Meera tells Bran about the little cranog man aka Howland Reed.

Yes, it does remind us of Howland Reed's adventure. 

I suppose if a Children were to wear a hat with a low brim, and pretend to be a short person, they could walk the lands and not be noticed.  They could also have magic and used a glamour to hide their true appearance. 

Weary of what?  Homesick? 

I think that by "time of the dragon" she meant the time of the Dance of Dragons, which was two hundred years ago and she just returned recently. 

Some have sugested that Leaf is Nettles, but I rather suspect that the Ghost of High Heart is Nettles. That would mean there were several "Children" walking the world of men and that they are able to change their appearance (glamour or such).  :dunno: Just my impression.

I imagine the Children are exceptional at hiding, and likely User methods of Transport across the narrow sea than man made ones, if indees she travelled the free cities at all. Westeros is a very big place after all, Tyrion is extremely well read and wealthy, yet hadnt Seen even half of it.

I kind of like the idea that there's a magic portal, or just a hidden tunnel thousands of km long, from the Isle of Faces to the Ifequevron forest in Essos and similar places on other continents.

But I think you're right, Westeros is more than big enough to and to spend a couple centuries exploring, and it wouldn't be too huge of a stretch to refer to that as walking "the worlds of men", especially when talking to a kid who's never been south of Winterfell.

200 years ago means she'd likely have witnessed the Dance of the Dragons, I'd like to add. Though I guess it depends when she turned her feet and headed for home. I'd assume sometime before BR arrived, but maybe not.
As for travelling unseen, I suppose she was disguised - as a dwarf woman, a child etc.

think "time" "of the dragon" here means "during the reign" "of Aegon I" 

also, Leaf obviously could not have roamed the world (unless CoTF know of all the lands which Im just now thinking is a pretty strong possibility)

the "world of men" could be the realms of men, as in would hazard a guess that Leaf did not roam the lands of always winter at least

it could also just mean westeros

safest interpretation would be something like leaf roamed about till she longed for home

that would mean Leaf came back home between 70-100 years ago, about a century after the Dance of Dragons 

really like the Leaf being Nettles idea. Does not fit in the timeline tho. 

or as Nettles.

Nettles had black hair and brown eyes. Leaf has reddish/brownish/goldish hair and golden eyes. Leaf also appears rather distinctive in terms of her age - old and young at the same time. She also has a high, sweet, musical voice. She doesn't really sound like Nettles at all.

Archived