Why no foul play at the trident?

Karlsmakinmusic

I was reading today and kept thinking about how Mance might be the most secretly important character in the story. I believe he wrote the pink letter and go as far as believing (basically because its so fun) that Mance might have been the one who sent the catspaw after Bran. Then of course I started thinking about how cool it would be if that crazy Rhaegar theory was true and thats where it all started for Mance. lol  

Now let me get on topic yes this is silly but something that keeps bugging me about the story is how we all assume Rhaegar died on the trident yet we know he had rubies on and we know he used a glamour at the tourney at harrenhal. '

'

It seems to me it would be more unlikely that Rhaegar wasn't pulling something on the trident with those rubies. 

So is the only reason we discount any foul play at the trident because of how silly it might sound if Rhaegar was still around.

I guess I'm looking for the community here to set me straight and tell me why there wasn't any foul play at the trident.

Thanks in advance

Now let me get on topic yes this is silly but something that keeps bugging me about the story is how we all assume Rhaegar died on the trident yet we know he had rubies on and we know he used a glamour at the tourney at harrenhal. '

What do you mean by that ?

I don't remember anything about Rhaegar having used glamour.

There have been a few Rhaegar is Mance topics.They go on and on and nothing is agreed on. Lets just say that for a glamour you need a character like Melisandre to do the magic and there's no mention of any such person at the Trident. To insert one at this point would be a blatant deus ex machina.

I see, I guess I was so fixated with the description of Rhaegar at the tourney that i assumed if he used a glamour at harrenhal he could have done the same at the trident. He did cheat at harrenhal though and I'm not sure how he did that exactly but from my faint memory of the text I think it was a glamour that distracted the riders or a shine on his armor. But it seems there isn't enough info about Rhaegar cheating at the battle and all signs point to him dying on the trident...

My main problem with this theory: with so many Targs and their supporters faking their deaths (according to different theories)...why didn't they instead continue the fight or raise a rebellion a few years into Robert's reign.

I mean: Rhaegar, JonCon, Arthur Dayne, Ashara Dayne, Aegon, Bloodraven

I see, I guess I was so fixated with the description of Rhaegar at the tourney that i assumed if he used a glamour at harrenhal he could have done the same at the trident. He did cheat at harrenhal though and I'm not sure how he did that exactly but from my faint memory of the text I think it was a glamour that distracted the riders or a shine on his armor. But it seems there isn't enough info about Rhaegar cheating at the battle and all signs point to him dying on the trident...

Nope, you err there.

He didn't cheat he simply wanted to win more.Also Barristan wasn't about to do anything that would hurt the Prince.
Jorah won against Jamie without cheating and Jamie is far more skilled then Rhaegar ever was.

Rhaegar wasn't overconfident at the Trident. He was a true believer in prophecy. His taking the field was irrelevant in a sense, because if the prophecy were to be fulfilled, and he was truly part of it, he had to live. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, it's likely that he was involved in the prophecy, but his death was necessary to set the stage. Something he would've accepted....

...if he died. Which he did not. *Rhaegar rose from the Trident after three days and told his disciples to cremate someone else in his stead. Then he told them to go unto and make disciples of the world before joining the black, all so that he could desert it when he realized his true calling was always to save the gentiles (free folk). The breaking of the Wall is the breaking of the old covenant. 

"Raboni, can it truly be you?" Asks Richard Lonmouth. "After all I have shown you you still doubt. Place your hands in the massive warhammer shaped whole in my chest." That's when Richard knew. The prophecy was true. "Take the gospel to your people" commanded Rhaegar, and so Richard donned his distinctive, lemon yellow cloak...

I digress. 

No indication of Rhegar using any kind of glamour. I think the OP is getting confused with a reference to how Loras beat the Mountain - by selecting a female horse that was in heat, throwing off pheremones like whoa - which made Gregor's stallion impossible to control. And maybe he threw a little Serwyn of the Mirror Shield in there too.

I think both characters have awesome stories, great origins, badass character development, and pretty epic seeming ends (Mance may actually get TWO dramatic deaths), and that is that. 2 separate characters.

Archived