R+L=J theory on the show

D2procon

So we all know the "promise" is mentioned a couple of times in the book and people have used this along with other findings in the book to support the R+l=J theory. But what if the phrase is actually overrated? If I'm not mistakened The "promise" wasn't mentioned at all in the TV show, you would think that if it was important that it would be mentioned in the show to give the unsullied a reason to believe that R+L=J. Perhaps D&D knows who Jon snows mother after discussing with GRRM before before they started filming? If I hadn't read the books I wouldnt find anything in the show that would make me think R+L=J.

It isn't so well established in the series as in the books, but the series has keeped that mystery aura surrounding Lyanna's abduction, and in the last season we had some foreshadowing in the look that LF gave sansa in the crypts, but yeah, you are right, they have been very discreet in respect to JS parentage, I guess they want to keep it as a big reveal kind of thing

R+L is scrawled into background post next to Jon Snow in Season 1, I believe. David. Benioff wore a shirt that said "R+L" in N interview. When Maester Aemon states how bad it must be to be. Sole Targaryen in the world, the camera immediately cuts to Jon entering the room. These hints are there too, and in many ways more convincing than the book hints.

Here's a video that really gives TONS of evidence towards R+L=J. It's done by AltShiftX, and he uses both book and show reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHqzFwodZqQ(3mil views)

If you believe in R+L=J or are skeptical, watch that video. I'm certain that you'll be pretty convinced that Jon Snow is indeed Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark's child.

R+L is scrawled into background post next to Jon Snow in Season 1, I believe. David. Benioff wore a shirt that said "R+L" in N interview. When Maester Aemon states how bad it must be to be. Sole Targaryen in the world, the camera immediately cuts to Jon entering the room. These hints are there too, and in many ways more convincing than the book hints.

Yeah, tons of minor little show hints like the screen cutting to Jon in that Aemon scene and the talks between characters throughout the series about how Rhaegar *loved* Lyanna. So it begs the question, why would he kidnap and rape her?

We also hear that at the ToJ, Ned finds her in a pool of her own blood. It makes sense that she was giving child birth.

There's no way for them to show "Promise me, Ned" in the show. The books can do it cause you have access to Ned's thoughts.

As pointed out here, they've found plenty of other ways to hint at R+L=J that cater to the strengths of the visual medium. One of my favorite was cutting to Jon as Aemon talks about Dany being the last Targaryen.

yup that one was like a big 2x4 coming at ya..another one that always gets me is when the Wildings call him "King Crow"

and sure there is a way to show "Promise me,Ned"  if the speculation that we are getting TOJ scene as a Bran flashback this season is correct :D

I think the biggest hint in the show so far comes from the scene with Sansa and Petyr in the crypts. Sansa mentions how Rhaegar abducted and raped Lyanna, and Petyr gives a not-so-subtle sarcastic look that basically says "sure... abducted... taken against her will...".

I think the biggest hint in the show so far comes from the scene with Sansa and Petyr in the crypts. Sansa mentions how Rhaegar abducted and raped Lyanna, and Petyr gives a not-so-subtle sarcastic look that basically says "sure... abducted... taken against her will...".

Yes. There are hints but they're vague and really subtle. The RLJ theory is not as established in the show as it is in the books..still if one looks one shall find

No he doesn't, his face is almost blank. To most show watchers R+L will come as a shock out of the blue as the hints are almost impossible to piece together without the books with their slow reveal of information and clue repetition. Most viewers who only watch once will just be trying to follow the chaotic storys and keep up with all the characters that have been on the show for many years now, so dead/never seen ones like Rhaegar will be remembered by almost no casual viewer who probably doesn't even remember who exactly Renly or Gendry was/is.

Hints could have been dropped throughout the seasons, not just in season 1 and a few  in 5, so that if/when it is revealed to be Jon's true backstory then the viewers could accept it naturally as a great but believable twist.

The fact that DD have not made this reveal more credible throughout the years is the biggest clue that this may be a red herring and not Jon's story after all. And that maybe he is dead for good.

The fact that DD have not made this reveal more credible throughout the years is the biggest clue that this may be a red herring and not Jon's story after all. And that maybe he is dead for good.

No it's not the reason they haven't pushed the reveal is so that the viewers didn't work it out during the first damn book like the readers did.

No he doesn't, his face is almost blank.

Blank? There's a clear look there. It's the same kind of smug look we saw from Littlefinger when he was revealing his involvement in Joffrey's murder. I could understand someone who isn't aware of R+L=J not thinking anything of it, but to anyone who knows the theory, it should be blindingly obvious from his expression that Littlefinger knows something Sansa doesn't. 

To most show watchers R+L will come as a shock out of the blue as the hints are almost impossible to piece together without the books with their slow reveal of information and clue repetition. Most viewers who only watch once will just be trying to follow the chaotic storys and keep up with all the characters that have been on the show for many years now, so dead/never seen ones like Rhaegar will be remembered by almost no casual viewer who probably doesn't even remember who exactly Renly or Gendry was/is.

Hints could have been dropped throughout the seasons, not just in season 1 and a few  in 5, so that if/when it is revealed to be Jon's true backstory then the viewers could accept it naturally as a great but believable twist.

The fact that D&D have constantly brought up the subject of Jon's parentage in interviews since before season one even started suggests otherwise.

Maybe a lot of viewers will be shocked to find out that Jon is a Targaryen, but I doubt many will be surprised to find out that Ned isn't his father.

Its easy to "try" to notice the clues and hints to R+L=J in the show if you have read the book. But for the unsullied they wouldn't know that the clues and hints are relevant so maybe I might agree with some of you that they want to have this come out of the blue I guess.

Up until Season 5, D&D had sworn they weren't going to do flashbacks, so of course they weren't going to put the "promise me" in there. It's too late now, so they started laying the groundwork now to set up for a Bran vision possibly next season. As stated by others, the clues are there, you just have to look closely for them.

Archived