A Clash of Kings Chapter by Chapter Analysis - Jinjoz

Jinjoz

Hello everyone! Today is the day that i start my re read of a Clash of Kings and I wanted to share with you my ideas, my thoughts, and my cool discoveries. I have done this with the first book A Game of Thrones and if you are interested in reading my chapter by chapter Analysis for that book it is located in the Still Reading - A Game of Thrones section. Here is a link: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/123066-chapter-by-chapter-analysis-spoilers/ 

About Me
I'm 23 and I was a late bloomer when it came to the Game of Thrones world. It wasn't until the 4th season of Game of thrones that I started watching it. I was mainly turned off because of the nudity in the show and some of the grittyness of the content. Though one day I decided to just give the first episode a shot and I was instantly hooked. I did some research and found out about the books so I stopped watching the show and bought all of the book that day. As of now I have watched all 5 seasons of the HBO series and I have read the book 1-4 and will be listening to the Audiobook of A Dance with Dragons soon.

Now why did I decide to do this chapter by chapter analysis. I read the first book and about halfway through I noticed a lot of connections between characters and events and the TV show made it really interesting because of the scenes they added in. So at about the halfway mark I decided to start over and takes notes as I went. At about this time I discovered the Podcast Alohamora (http://alohomora.mugglenet.com/) Where they do a chapter by chapter analysis of the Harry Potter Series one of my other favorite Series. This heavily influenced me to read books in a whole new light and than I found the podcast Game of Owns (http://gameofowns.com/) and that is was what ignited me to start writing and posting my thoughts on the first book. I highly recommend that you give these Podcasts a try.

So a quick note, while i was gong through the first book there came up a lot of stuff in life where I had to take a break. I jsut want to let you all know that unfortunately I do have a life and I won't be able to post all of the time. So I've set myself on a schedule to post 3 times a week, and if things get crazy than 2 times at the least. I have a wife and work and I'm involved in a League of Legends thing and also a dance team I help out on. But I do have a passion for this series and I will finish this book and do my best to post at a good constant rate. I'm going to giver a quick overview of how my posts work

Title
I give each of the chapters a title with the format of
'In Which...
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
and blah blah blah
The blah blah blahs are generally an little, sometimes humorous, summary of what has happened in the chapter

I'll either just type the location in or I will post a map with the location on it on another site and provide a link

Commentary/Summary
This is where the bluk of the writing will be. The summary and the Commentary will be fused together and I will try and keep a good format of this as I type

Character Rating: Book and Show
I remember I was trying to figure out why I liked the Hound when he did so many bad things and in general wasn't a good person. So as I went through the first book I gave character + points and - points depending on their actions and if my reaction was that I liked them more or if I liked them less. I'll do this throughout the whole series. The points will range between -5 and +5. This is a change from my Game of Thrones Ratings which was originally a range of -3 to +3. Reason being was people would do something horrible and than they say a few witty lines and apparently I would forgive them. So a bigger range allows there me to measure their actions clearer. 
I will also be doing these ratings for the characters as they appear in the show. I will not do repeats, I will be focusing mainly on how the show changes are perspective on the characters in the book. These ratings for the show will mainly come out of added scenes and added lines that aren't originally in the book.

Moral Rating: Book and Show
This has the same scale as above but it will mainly focus on whether a character is a good guy or bad guy. This will actually allow us to graph a characters journey throughout the series. Cause i've come to the conclusion there are some characters we love but we shouldn't because in all reality they are terrible people. This is where I have to be a bit strict and I will most likely give out negatives and positives that might get argue. This is a new rating system I added in so we will see how it goes. The range is -5 to +5

Character VS Show
This is where I will watch the show and compare it the scenes they took from the books and see which one did it better or how it was adapted. I will also add in a bigger discussion for those scenes that were added in and see how they affect are views and if they were need scenes and if they added to the story as a whole. Now since the books and the show don't line up very well this section will be added in later. So I will post chapters in chronological order and when I do a show watch i'll go back and edit those posts and than inform everyone like ' Hey I added the Books Vs Show sections to the following chapters'. I ran into a problem of my last analysis where I would either not post for a while cause I had to read so many chapters to get an episode in so I decided that the best way to do this and still get chapters posted out was to post the show Notes after the fact.

A Few random thoughts
If you want to read along that would be great, it'll be a nice slow paced read. I will try and post my analysis's on Monday Wednesday and Friday, that way if you do read along you know when to read the next chapter by. A small note, if you do go and read my previous analysis on the first books, the format is a little different but I do plan on going back and foxing everything up so it all matches (mainly the range of points given out to each character)

For spoilers, there will be. So as for you all spoiling me go for it! I haven't read A Dance with Dragons but at this point I'm not that sensitive to it, the show kinda did that for me.  So go for it!

I would love to see us get at least some light discussion going between chapters so I'll and come up with a question to accompany each chapter and yall can answer the question or not. I do check this everyday so I will respond very frequently.

I hope you all enjoy my writings and I am very excited to start this project. Comment and ask questions. Also if you find a moment for a character that deserves a + or a - to their like ability or moral rating post it and I will most likely edit it in with your username attached to it. Enjoy!

00 -  Prologue - S2 E1

'In Which...
Cressen gets put to the side
Who the heck is Cressen?
And we visit Stannis at his Summer Home

Commentary/Summary

As with the Prologue in A Game of Thrones we start from the perspective of a character that will die by the end of the chapter and someone that we have never met before. Before us we have an older Maester by the name of Maester Cressen. He was sent by the Citadel in Oldstown many years ago to tend to the needs of Dragonstone and has been there for quite some time. He knows the castle well and has become friends with the grotesque gargoyles and other statues that line the parapets. This is actually, in my opinion, the way we view quite a lot of characters in this story. I get this feeling that almost every character we hate in the beginning of the series will eventually turn into our favorites, Jamie Lannister being a pretty good example of this. Cressen is staring out of the window all dramatic like when the other Maester, the younger version of him who was sent to replace Cressen soon, tells him that the princess wishes to see the white raven that arrived from the Citadel. Shireen Baratheon, nine years old, comes in and she is not the prettiest of sights it seems. Half of her face is disfigured from a bout of greyscale that almost killed her as an infant. Following her wherever she goes is her fat fool named Patches. He was originally found across the sea and taken back to Westeros to entertain the courts. On his way the ship capsized and he was found three days later, washed up on the beach and out of his mind. Most of his lines are rather annoying but we will get to those in a little bit.

We get some discussion on Shireen's dreams while Pylos goes to fetch the white Raven. She has had dreams of dragons coming to take her away which may foreshadow the coming of Dany across the Narrow sea but it may just be that Dragonstone is not the friendliest of places and scares kids quite easily. Cressen consoles her and than discusses this white raven with her. White ravens are the only birds that the Citadel's use to carry messages as most of the are extremely important. The newest one brought forth the message pertaining to the length of this current Sumemr which according them has officially ended; lasting 10 years, two months, and sixteen days. With this Summer ending the tension grows just a little bit more as winter is coming closer and closer. We get an interesting description of these white ravens as they are considered very important animals and a whole lot cleverer than black ravens or crows. Now this description of the white raven brought my mind back to the conversation that Jon Snow and Maester Aemon had which concerned the difference between crows and ravens. Adding white ravens into the mix and suddenly we have another scale that we can measure every character in this book. We have the crows, people who do not carry important messages and aren't clever enough to win the game or survive, and those traits increase as you move to raven and than a white raven. Just an interesting though that popped in my head.

We get a few mentions early on about a Red Women who has come to the castle and according the view of Cressen has corrupted the thoughts and views on Stannis and his wife Selyne. This is where Patchface comes in. One of his little songs is 'The Shadows come to Dance'. Now my first thought was of Mirri Maz Durr, the witch who had brought Kahl Drogo 'back to life'. She caused the shadows to dance but she is dead now. Patchface is foreshadowing the actions of Melisandre as she brings a lot of dark moments into the story. This leads to wonder if any of his other nonsense songs actually have a deeper meaning, most of the having to deal with the ocean. We really don't know how Stannis and Melisandre met but it now shows us what Stannis was up to during Book one.

Cressen heads off to see Stannis, having a rough time due to his age just traversing through the castle. He runs into Davos Seaworth, a trusted knight to Stannis, who has just returned on envoy missions to rally allies to Stannis's cause. We get some good back story on him as a man who went from smuggler throughout the kingdom, to saving Stannis during the war by smuggling food to his starved and garrisoned men, to a trusted friend to Stannis. He has returned with dark news that most of the smaller houses in the are and the larger ones will not back Stannis, as they are either already allied with Renly Baratheon or just don't believe the Lannister's can be taken down. As we learn from our visit with Stannis as well, Renly is the biggest thron is Stannis's side. Cressen sees Renly as a little boy again, pretending to be king to get attention and to feel the love from other people; an emotion that fuels Renly to claim the Iron Throne and rally those around him to take it back.

Cressen heads to the map room and finds Stannis perched on a high seat that overlooks a table that is carved into the shape of Westeros with Stannis sitting where Dragonstone would be. This scene is mainly to introduce us to the character of Stannis and set his views on his situation.  Basically Stannis feels he has the most claim to the Throne due to his lineage. Robert Baratheon being his brother his death should set Stannis on the Throne.  Stannis feels that he has been shirt changed his whole life, from Renly receiving the command of Storm's End to Ned Stark receiving the position of Hand of the King.   It is also clear that Stannis does not like the counsel from Maester Cressen, from Stannis becoming allies with Robb Stark or Renly Baratheon to sending Shereen to the Eyrie to be betrothed to Robin Arryn , Lysa Arryn's son. In the end we truly realize that Stannis does not have many people backing him and he continues to be counciled to ally himself with those that he hates and refuses. 

We get a reoccurring character mentioned from Stannis's wife Selyse, the ever loving comet that everyone thinks was sent from the Gods just for them. Selyse thinks so at the least saying it is the sign from the Lord of Light that it is Stannis's time to rule. Once again Selyse is pretty vocal and sounds just a little bit crazy in my opinion.  Cressen is dismissed and he heads back to his chambers. This whole Lord of Light business has put Cressen on edge and it is Melisandre who has put all of these ideas into Selyse and Stannis's mind and Cressen feels he needs to do something about it. Tonight there will be a feast and he plans to poison Melisandre's drink. We get some good back story if the poison and Cressen than see's the comet as sign if blood and murder, the murder that he will cause. 
    So the prepare for a murder most foul Cressen decides to take a nap. He wakes up and realizes he is late for the feast.  When he finally arrives at the feast he is informed that he was purposely left to rest because Stannis feels that Cressen is no longer needed, replacing him with the younger Maester. While Cressen does keep his cool Davos offers him a seat next to him at the high table. Cressen bumps into Melisandre as well and he makes his plan to poison her drink. He slips the poison into a cup of wine and offers to toast with Melisandre.

Two big things happen here. One is that Davos sees Maester Cressen do this. While Davos does speak to Cressen quietly before the toast Davis does not try and stop him. This tells me that Davis doesn't have Melisandre on his top 8 on MySpace and most likely doesn't agree with her views and what she is doing to Stannis. Cressen and Melisandre meet in the middle and she reaches out and takes hold if the cup. She whispers to him that he can spill the wine... SHE TOTALLY KNOWS! Cressen says that he can't. Melisandre drinks.... Nothing happens. Cressen drink.... And boom. Dead. Fire cleanses she says. This is am amazing opening to this story. Melisandre is another person we don't want to mess with. The best part of all this on my opinion is that we don't really know her game or her end goal, it is kinda crazy. She is one of my favorite characters because she causes so much chaos, confusion, and she heavily influences people's decisions. 

Character Rating: Book
+1 to Shereen, She is just an innocent girl so we sympathize
-1 to Melisandre . We are tainted by the views of Cressen
+ 3 to Davos. He put himself in a ton of danger to bring food to those men at Storm's End, what a guy
-1 to Melisandre. She kinda puts down Cressen and while we don't particularly care for Cressen she just isn't that nice
-2 to Stannis. He acts a little bit like Viserys in the sense that he feels he deserves something he doesn't have and Stannis is a pretty blunt person so we naturally don't like him as much
-2 to Selyne. She mocks Cressen and is kind of annoying in the sense that her religious views are pretty vocal.
3 points to Melisandre. Now I'm not sure whether these she should go negative or positive because while she is super B. A. she is rather terrifying. 

Moral Rating
+3 to Davos for the same reason above.
-2 to Selyne for the above mentioned.
-2 to Melisandre. While we actually like her because she is so intense, she still basically murdered Cressen... In a sense. What do you think?

Chapter 1 - Arya I - S1 E1

'In which...
We find out where Arya is
She defends herself
And gets spanking'

Commentary/Summary

The purpose of this chapter is to set up the road that Arya is on after the events of her father being executed. She was at the execution when Yoren grabbed hold of her and brought her to a side alley where he immediately begins to cut her hair and basically giving her the lay down of what is going to happen. Yoren was in King's Landing to recruit men for The Wall and now he on his back to The Wall with his recruits and Arya and a couple other interesting people of note. Hot Pie is introduced in this chapter, a fat boy who used to sell pies with his mother, Lommy Greenhands, and Gendry (Baratheon, though he doesn't know that). These three will be around Arya for quite some time in this book.

This chapter I feel really begins the who character arc of Arya's identity crisis. It is very small at this point but we can see that in the very beginning we already have three different names that Arya is called. The first being one she was called back in Winterfell, Arya Horseface, the second being the nickname that Lommy gives her, Lumpyhead, and the third being Arry the orphan boy, the alias that Yoren gives her. Arya will have to assume many names and become someone that she doesn't fully recognize and this is the start of this journey. 

This truly is a pretty basic chapter to just establish where Arya is and introduce us to this new environment where she has to pee in the woods to hide that fact that she is a girl and that she is kind of on her own for now. She is riding along and Hot Piue and Lommy begin making jabs at her and notices her sword, Needle, and they begin to try and find a way to take it from her. Needle is a represents her sibling love for Jon Snow (I say sibling love because GRRM's original plan was for Arya to fall in love with Jon, fun fact) and she is very defensive about it. So of course boys being boys try and take it from her, even with Gendry, The Bull as Lommy calls him, watching her back. Arya has still got the moves! She dances around them repeating the phrases Syrio has taught her and end up putting Hot Pie down with pants full of his own brown. 

Yoren shows up and breaks up the fight and he takes Arya into the woods. He has her pull down her breeches and hug a tree and he lays that wooden sword across her thighs three times and tells her that she gets twice what she gives out from now on. Than we get some heart to heart between Yoren and Arya. Yoren basically tells her that it wasn't Hot Pie who killed your father and it wasn't anyone else around here and that she can't take her anger out on those who didn't have anything to do with it. Arya of course has been affected by her fathers death but I think it is more on the side that she wasn't able to help him in any way and I wonder if she holds a grudge against Yoren for stopping her. The next thing we learn is that Yoren originally came to the execution because Ned was suppose to go off to the Wall with this batch of people. The other thing that is interesting is that Yoren knows to drop Arya up in Winterfell when they get there. This means that Yoren did recieve some instructions about taking Arya away. The question is who gave those orders? Along those lines, Gendry was brought to Yoren adn was paide to take him to the Wall. Yoren doesn't mention that name of the person who brought him so I am curious as to who did this? Any ideas? 

The last thing Arya talks about is the comet that is currently flying across the sky. The Bull says that it looks like a sword fresh off the forge and that could represent a new force that is coming forth to the battle. Could be a reference to the White Walkers or all of the Kings that will soon be created in this story. Arya sees it as Ice, the sword that was used to kill Ned. Now we know that Arya never saw her father executed due to Yoren and therefore doesn't have these images flashing at her like Sansa does. Arya has to deal with her own imagination and her hown version of events which can be just as difficult at times. Like i said before, it is the thoughts of 'I could have done something to stop this' that is more likely to affect Arya.

+1 to Arya for showing us her skills
+1 to Arya for almost getting the sword through Hot Pie's butt cheeks. 
+2 to Yoren. He actually cares about what happens to Arya.

Chapter 2 - Sansa I - S2 E1

'In Which...
Sansa goes to a tourney
A fool is saved
And Tyrion returns'

Commentary/Summary

Today is Joffery name day and We get to meet up Sansa back in the good old city of Kings Landing. A small quite mediocre tournament is to be held and... Well some people are coming out to enjoy it. Sansa is prepping herself to be in the presence of Joffery and we get pretty ticked off to be honest. She is dressing to his standards, is preparing herself to be belittled, and we learn that Joffery is still beating her by way of the Kingsguard. We are happy to learn though that Sansa actually has found someone who doesn't look at her in disgust or hit her at the command of that little worm Joffery. Ser Arys Oakheart, a member of the Kingsguard who does his duty but not to the point where he will go past his moral compass. He comes to escort Sansa to the tournament and on the way we get another discussion of the comet. 

One thing that is so cool about this comet is not only is it a comet but GRRM is using this inanimate to connect all of these characters together and give us an insight into into the personality of each character. Though Joffery falls in line with Stannis on this one as someone who sees the comet as a sign of their powerful reign to come.  The people have declared it Joffery's Comet as it flies over on his name day and this troubles Sansa. Were the God's that cruel? If Joffery wins that means the rest of her family is as good as dead. She is also curious to fact that Oakheart points out that it is a red comet, the colors of House Lannister, but it is not gold to represent House Baratheon. This is just a subtle reminder that Jamie and Cersei are doing the nasty and Joffery is one of the three children created through that process.

She arrives at the tournament and it is a stark contrast to the previous one we had seen when good old Ned was around. It is being held inside the walls of the Red Keep for the protection of Joffery, the crowd consists of some highborns mingled amongst the knights to fight in the tournament, and a handful of household knights and a few squires. Sansa sits near Joffery who is lazily sitting in his chair and they chat about the tournament. The Hound is not on the lists, calling the other knights 'gnats' to suggest that there really isn't any glory in winning this tournament. By looking at this tournament and comparing it to the previous one it is a very simple way for us to see that Westeros has changed. war is in the land and people aren't too friendly with each other. You got Robb and the whole North coming South, Lannisters are in uproar over Jamie being captured, Renly gathering people in the South to take the Throne, and the big bad wolf Stannis coming from Dragonstone. It isn't a jolly place and were gonne see the whole place freak out in this book so be prepared. 

A few little things to note. Joffery has now been informed on the death of Viserys and we also get the mention of the Redwne twins who are entered into the tournament. Now we don't really get much about them but Sansa mentions that they are both in the same standing as she is ,a sort of prisoner or ward, which is the fancy way of saying prisoner. Like i said we don't really know why they are there but it is interesting to know this bit of information that I'm sure will pop up later in the series. So the tournament goes on and we get to hear a lot of Sansa's views on each of these knights. The most noteable one is Morros Slynt, heir to Janos Slynt who is the ruler of Harrenhal. Sansa has a lot of disdain for the Slynts for good reason, as it was Janos who had lifted her fathers head for the crowd to see after he was executed. The tournament goes on and than we get to meet Ser Dantos, the half naked knight. He comes on the field chasing his horse, manhood flying around making the crowd laugh and he eventually just sits down and calls for wine. Of course Joffery can't resist a moment to throw a fit and have someone killed but Sansa has some sympathy for this knight. She tells Joffery not to kill becuase it is ill luck to do so on your name day. Now we get a really cool part where The Hound hops in and backs Sansa up. He does agree with what Sansa said but it is observed that he says it in a way where it doesn't sound like he cares what happens. I do believe that he doesn't care what happens to Ser Dantos but I think The Hound has a soft spot for Sansa and doesn't want her to see such a terrible thing after what was done to her father. 

The final scene is when the doors to the castle are open and Tyrion Lannister walks in with the men of the hill tribes and man... what a boss. He walks in like he owns the place and walks right up to the king and start to chat. A couple not worthy moments are when Tyrion is updated on all the news kings in the land, Tyrion responds with something along the lines of, a lot of people are calling themselves king now a days. This about the 4th time that Joffery is spoken to in a way that is negative towards him and he just doesn't catch on. Sansa has gotten quite good at it and Tyrion has always been good at that. Once Joffery leaves Tyrion stays behind and talks to Sansa. Here we get a momet of Sansa acts like the little bird she is by declaring her father a traitor and that she is loyal to Joffery. Tyrion than responds with 'As loyal as a deer surrounded by wolves' and than Sansa replies 'Lions'. One of my favorite lines so far in this book and it shows that Sansa is doing all it takes to survive and one mistake could end up with ehr being savaged. Tyrion leans in and tells Sansa that he is a small lion and that he will not harm her. Now we like Tyrion a lot, we have spent a good amount of time with him and this just makes us love him even more. Sansa on the other hand has good reason to not trust him simply because he is a Lannister and I give no fault to her because of that.

+3 to Aerys Oakheart. Seriously, the Kingsguard is full of snots and pretty terrible people and we get a good little ray of sunshine.
-3 to Joffery for beating Sansa
+1 to Sansa for sympathy
+1 to Sansa for her sassy comment 'I would like to see that' referring to Joffery fighting in single combat. 
+2 to The Hound for backing Sansa up.
+2 to Tyrion for his wit and the comfort he gives to Sansa

Moral Rating: Book
-3 to Joffery for the above
+1 to Tyrion for letting Sansa know that he won't harm her. Hopefully he keeps his word.  

Chapter 03 - Tyrion I - S2 E1

Title
'In Which... 
Tyrion and Cersei chat
Varys crashes the party
And Tyrion is preparing to lay down the law'

Commentary/Summary

Tyrion has arrived in Kings Landing and it is all business for him. After making that pit stop at the tournament he heads straight to see Cersei and get to setting things straight. Ser Mandon takes a little convincing the let Tyrion into the small Council meeting but Tyrion is allowed to enter. He delivers a letter and Varys mentions something about the wax seal being genuine gold and Cersei says 'of course it is!' one thing that Tywin and Cersei have in common is that the view of other people does matter. They both want to leave the Lannister line string and do not want to taint it's name because of their actions. They want the name Lannister to demand respect and to have their name be a legacy in the family. 

The letter informs the council that they are to accept Tyrion as Hand of the King. Cersei of course is in an uproar about this and but the council seems to be down for the idea. Pycelle welcomes him, Janos Slynt declares how badly they need him to help with the city, and Littlefinger is such  suck up. So the council decides to give them some privacy but Littlefinger decides to hang around and makes a comment about the Hand of the King position being a dangerous one.  This automatically brings up the Defense Against the Dark Arts position in Harry Potter and so far the pattern of getting a new teacher every year has spilled into the Song of Ice and Fire Series.  The first book it is Ned, next is Tyrion, than Tywin, and than.... Kevin Lannister I believe.  This was a good foreshadow to the fall of Tyrion as hand of the king. 

Tyrion and Cersei begin to chat and this is when we notice that Tyrion is already making a list of things he needs to clean up around here. One in particular is Littlefinger. Before Littlefinger leaves Tyrion makes a mental note to chat with him about the dagger that was used to frame him and then make sure that Littlefinger ends up in the dungeon somehow. He has his eyes basically on every member of the Council due to the fiasco of the execution of Ned Stark that sparked the chaos that is spreading in Westeros.

Let's pause for a moment and really think about the things that started all of this. Two main events come to mind; when Catelyn took Tyrion captive and when Ned tried to take Joffery off the throne. Of course it really all leads back to the death of Jon Arryn which got the Starks involved but that's just splitting hairs really. So Catelyn takes Tyrion which causes Jamie to go after Ned. Jamie heads off and him and his father attack Riverrun to get Tyrion back. Now this actually doesn't get Robb and his army involved it is when his father is imprisoned that gets Robb involved. After Robb starts marching South Ned does involve Stannis by informing him of Joffery's parentage. So as far as I know Catelyn sparked the war buy Ned through the dry grass on top of it at least that is how I remember it all happening, please correct me of I'm wrong.

So two questions I have at this moment. Who truly started the war of the five Kings? and, would Stannis have tried to take the throne of Ned didn't send him that letter? Or was he planning on doing that anyways? Did he already know about Joffery and that was the reason he headed to Dragon stone?  Let me know. 

Tyrion begins to assess the situation that he will be in. First thing he promises Cersei is that he will get Jamie back from Robb Stark but is a bit disappointed when Cersei tells him that she has lost Arya and only holds Sansa. Tyrion asks about the small Council and we actually get a lime from Cersei that gives a bit of hope in her relationship with Tyrion. She says 'does father believe that they are playing us falseI made be reading this wrong but to me that shows that Cersei and Tyrion are on one team and the council is on a another, there in a extremely. Small way of bonding :). Cersei informs him that she had nothing to do with Joffery deciding to kill Ned, Janos Slynt's name is mentioned and that it was Littlefinger who set Janos up with Harrenhal, and it was Varys who influenced Joffery to dismiss Ser Barristan. Tyrion knows who he can't trust, all of them, and he now has them on his list as people to test or take out.

We get another great example of Tyrion's wisdom. As Cersei is talking about the dismissal of Ser Barristan, Tyrion points out his fame. Jamie and Barristan are the last two of the The Mad King's seven original Kingsguard. He is renowned as well as the legends that people tell there kids before they go to bead. How will the people react if they see him siding with Renly or Stannis? People woukd rally with him just because they know how noble he is and his choice influences the people's choice.  Now let's think about this. We k ow eventually that Barristan joins up with Daenerys. Was that why Varys pushed to have him dismissed? Did Varys have it planned all along for him to join up with her? We know that Varys has the ability to get people to Pentos, evidence of when he gets Tyrion there. He could have informed Barristan of the existence of Dany and her plans made known to Varys by Jorah Mormont, and Barristan agreed l, kind of joining his old Master in a sense but not so creepy.  

Then we get two of the biggest questions and two amazing answers. First question, who killed Jon Arryn. Cersei basically she doesn't know who. Now we as the audience don't believe her because of the stacking evidence that we think we have.  But the next question and answer may change our view. Tyrion asks who killed King Robert. Cersei opens up and basically says that planned for Robert to hunt for the board and she made sure that he got plenty drunk while on the hunt, through the hands of her lover and cousin Lancel. Now let's think about this. If Cersei was so open and honest about involvement in the death of Robert why would she lie about her not being involved in the death of Jon Arryn? Just something to think about it.

Tyrion decides to head out and take a look at the city. He give Bronn some orders regarding the housing of the tribe clans and heads out with Captain Vylarr. As he heads out he looks and sees the heads of Ned Stark and other people of his household. Tyrion immediately orders them to be taken down and reminds Captain Vylaar that his nephew Joffery may be king but he is still a child and his visions of leaving Stark up there until Robb, Renly, and Stannis join them is a ridiculous notion. As he heads to an Inn called the Broken Anvil he observes the state of Kings Landing, mainly the fact there there is no food coming into town due to the war in the Riverlands and that Renly has High Garden on his side. Tyrion questions his sisters actions but is informed that she has been at work by increasing the city guard, creating war machines, and also having ten thousand jars of wildfire created. While she is preparing for war she certainly isn't taking care of her citizens who are paying out the nose for a bit of bread. It's hit that point where guards are assigned to baker's and other vendors. Tyrion is making mental notes all along the way and I am excited to see him at work.

So Tyrion walks into the inn and there is a bit of merriment going on and he looks towards Shae and is in shock to see Varys sitting next to her. This really. Shows how informed he is; Tyrion just arrived and the secret he was trying the hardest to hide is found out in a manner of hours.  Tyrion definitely. Goes on the attack as Varys has invaded his life, but he does It very tactfully. Him and Varys begins this undertone conversation and they are using Shae to accomplish it. While Varys may say 'I wanted to meet your young lady'  what he is really saying is, I knew when you arrived and I know what she is. It is so awesome that him and Varys are on the same Level and that they can communicate in this way. While Tyrion views Varys's visit as an attack I feel that it is more of a warning. I feel Varys was basically saying, look if I found her than other people could possibly find her, be careful. My first thought is what would Littlefinger do if he found Shae, mainly because I put Varys and Littlefinger in the same tier as people who are playing the game. 

We than get a riddle from Varys which may either foreshadow an event or be a.... Thing.... A symbol of three different types of people or three specific people. 4 men in a room, a king, a priest, a man with his bag of gold and a sell sword. The first three tell the sells word to kill the other two. King says to do it because he is their king. The priest says do it for God. The man with the gild offers all his gold. Who lives and who dies.  Tyrion answers the riddle saying 'that depends on the sell sword. Let's take a look at Bronn, our favorite sellsword. He is on the side of Tyrion, the rich man, as of now. Later on he is basically paid to not champion for Tyrion in a trial by combat. I think this riddle is just emphasizes that thought of not trusting anyone is true and it is also emphasized through Shae's betrayal. This could possibly be a foreshadow to three betrayals that Tyrion will face. One for gold, one for power, one for... Religion? Hmmmm this is interesting. What do you think?

Any theories as why Joffery is so fond of the Hound?

Character Rating: Books 
-1 to Littlefinger for being a suck up.
- 1 to Cersei for feeling that her order to her father should be followed because she is the Queen.
+2 to Tyrion. He has a plan, a vision, and we got confidence in hin
+3 to Tyrion for getting the heads down. He really is a good guy and it's nice to have one after Ned died. 
+2 to Varys. He may have entered into Tyrion's private life but he did warn Tyrion and I think he is more with him than against. 

Moral Rating: Book
+3 Tyrion. Right now he wants to root out the corruption and bring the kingdom back to normal. What a guy.  
-1 to Tyrion. Who gets jealous that his sister will have sex with one brother but not the other. I know he is jetting but really. 

Apologize for such a small analysis but... some chapters are just that way

Chapter 4 - Bran I - S2 E1

'In Which... 
Bran is accepting his situation
Bran is bitter about his situation
And the life at The Twins is simplified'

Commentary/Summary

So I read through this chapter and I wasn't all that enthralled with it, and most of the time Bran chapters aren't that exciting and is my least favorite perspective until he runs off towards The Wall. The main reason this chapter wasn't that exciting was because it mainly revolved around the mysteries of Bean's dream and as someone who has read most of the series I already what the dreams mean. To an Unsullied they might read it and be formulating theories and most likely getting it right, not to hard to guess that Bran is warging, and that excitement is there.

At any case there is still some things to get out of this chapter, mainly getting an update on how Bran is doing. At this point he seems to have accepted his circumstances and is beginning to find those things in life that he can do. He sits on his windowsill,l and talks about all the things he can see and hear. He talks a lot about the direwolves and how they have been howling a lot lately and starts to form this connection between him and they. Lately his nights halve been filled with wolf dreams as he calls them, where he sees from the perspective of Summer through his adventures in the night. We know that he is warging but it seems at this point he is just seeing out of Summers eyes and not fully controlling her as he will later on. 

The rest of the chapter talks about how two Frey boys have come to Winterfell to be fostered there and there little adventures. Most of the time they just play games with other kids, saying that they will involve Bran but eventually forgetting about him. The main game they play is call Lord of the Crossing. Now this may seem like useless information but it's kind of cool if you think of their growing up. Lord of the Crossing involves one boy protecting a bridge, usually a stick or stones crossing a muddy puddle, while the other boy has to cross. The other boy approaches and has to make up a story as to who they are and why they need to cross.  This is basically what life is like in the Twins. They know that have the only bridge for Miles and they take advantage of it and use it for their own good. Walker Frey will always get his dues when it comes to people crossing his bridge.

I didn't get too much out of this chapter, like I said it was mainly written to establish Bran and to introduce his ability to Warg. Let me know if there is anything you notice or something that should be added

+1 to Maester Luton 'The dead seem to be silent on the matter' 
-2 to Bran. He is in a rough spot in his life and he is pretty bitter about things.  He wants to do all of these thing but Luton reminds that the last time he rode out of Winterfell or the last time he allowed Summer or Shaggy dog out that bad things happen and Bran just won't accept that.  

The Chapter 5 - Arya II - S2 E1

'In Which... 
They finally take a bath
Nymeriah rumors? 
And a Gold Cloak/Night Watch clash'

Chapter/Summary

Arya is still trudging up to the wall nut apparently she headed the wrong way. As Yoren and his group are heading north but but everyone else between River run and the Eyrie are fleeing south due to different factions that are going crazy. You got the mountain men from the Eyrie and the Lannister both terrorizing the land for different purposes and the people are fleeing to Kings Landing for protection. While it does have us worried Yoren is a member of the Nights Watch and is politically neutral, therfore doesn't fear walking right past the Lannister and not worrying about them getting involved

They stop at a Inn and finally get a chance to rest, get some warm food in them and take a bath. Arya is funny, she kinda justifies not taking a bath, mainly to avoid being found out that she is a girl, but also to not drown the fleas that have followed her from Kings Landing, what a thoughtful girl. Arya decided to head into the inn and chat with the dudes. A lot of conversation regarding this war and we really feel for Arya right. Now who is doing her best to not be Arya but someone else so that she can survive. She hears about her grandfather fighting against the Lannister, she hears about her brother who is marching south, and yet she can't do anything about it. It blows my mind that George can have so many characters that we follow and yet a good chunk of them are completely separated from the war that is occurring, mainly Jon, Arya, and Dany. While they are affected by the war they do not follow the war and are involved in it.  Another thing she overhears is about a she Wolf who is gathering Wolves around the God's eyes, the lake next to Harenhall, and our first thought and Arya's is that this wolf is Nymeriah. As far as I know Nymeriah hasn't popped up yet in the series but we shall see if George follows up on this.

Arya heads out and goes to the three men who are chained up in the cart.  We get three new characters who will reappear throughout the series. We get Biter, a freaky man with no tongue and a few sharpened teeth and is freaky nuts, Rorge, a noiseless am not home is pretty dang crazy as well and probably one of the coolest guys, Jaquen H'ghar. This guy stands out amongst these two creepy dudes and really makes us question why he is even in there. He is kind I enough to Arya, he doest try to kill anyone, and he seems like a pleasant guy. The main reason that they are in this cage is because they were found in the Black Cells of Kings Landing. So what was Jaquen H'ghar doing in the black cells?

Than the Gold cloaks show up and ruin a cute Arya Vs Gendry sword fighting moment! Buttheads. Gold cloaks show up and are under orders to bring one of them back. Arya thinks that it is her so she grabs Gendry and they hide. Well Yoren is being a B. A. and is like 'dude, we're in the Night' s Watch. All their misdeeds are so put the window. If you want them, you gotta fight.' Than we get the awesome everybody stands up and fights to protect a member of their 'family'. Arya is so shocked that she stands up and won't stand down while others fight for her. Now this is a bit of a turning point for her. I believe she always initially had the fight reaction when it comes to survival but when the gold cloaks came she wanted to run. Arya isn't all independent yet, she has Yoren for protection. As soon as she sees all the other guys getting ready to fought she switches that view and is ready to fight. Turns out that the Gold Cloaks are after Gendry, but Yoren still chases those two off. So Cersei is after Gendry, she is getting a little paranoid about keeping her little Joffery in power. The plot.... Curdles just a little bit.

+1 to Arya for thinking of the fleas  
+2 to Jaquen H'ghar. He politely says 'ya I did not sign up for this party, and for him turning the cup upside down and saying' a man must weep'.

Chapter 6 -  Jon I - S2 E1

'In which... 
Sam stays up all night reading
Donald Noye graces us with his wisdom
And Jon gets envious'

Commentary/Summary

To me Sam is somebody that I take after in certain ways. Here he is down in the library with no way of knowing what time it is outside, pouring over books and maps about old rangings beyond The Wall and he is as happy as can be. Definitely in a place he would rather be than beyond The Wall. Sam has been ordered to find old maps and bring them to the Old Bear so that he can prepare for his escapade to find Benjen and figure out what is going in. Sam spends all day and night down there in his element and only stops when Jon comes down for a visit.

Jon comes to check on him and Sam just begins to geek out on all the things that he found. Sam talks about the amount of maps he has found, the inventory lists of rangings back in the day, and just the sheer number of unorganized books. Personally I'm with Sam and would find that library amazing. Jon says that Winterfell has hundreds of books but not anymore since the fire, but even than it doesn't compare to here.  Than Jon and Sam have a conversation about resume and valuables. While Jon can't understand why an old supply list from forever ago means anything, Sam sees it as a bit of information that can help him understand the Night's Watch throughout the history. Jon says that gold, silver, and jewels is what real treasure is. To me this shows that Jon can be quite shallow and not fully understand the value of certain things.

Sam and Jon turn to talk about their escapade that is to begin the next day. Jon says that the God's have a cruel sense of humor as Sam, the self proclaimed coward, is the one to go beyond The Wall and people like Pyp who want to go are choses to be left behind. Jon also brings up the different reactions people have to a journey like this. Most of the men react by heading into Moles Town the nearest place with a brothel and getting their groove on with the ladies while the other half go to the Sept and seek God's out for their protection. It's a very black and white comparison as one is enjoying the things of this Earth while the other is helping themselves in the next life or asking for protection to return home safely. What is interesting is Jon doesn't go for either of them. He is too loyal to his vow to go sleep with a women but he is also too stoic and all 'dark and broody past' to go seek the Gods. Hei s going on this journey because he is ordered too, he is loyal to the Commander, and the only other motivation I can think of is to possibly find Benjen Stark. Now I read to the bottom of the paragraph and the reason that the Gods don't interest him because it is the wrong Gods. Jon worships the old Gods and to him there the New Gods don't have any power beyond The Wall. The Seven Gods are not from this land and they never truly reached beyond The Neck and into The North. Religion between these two sets of Gods is so interesting! The tolerance people have for people who believe in both, the different thought processes people have about them. It's awesome. 

We get another mention of this comet but we are finally over the view that it is a sign of someone's reign or about fire and blood and dragons. The comet has been named Mormonts torch and it is marking the direction that their journey should take.  While we haven't read Daenerys chapter yet she has the same view and this gives us a small connection between Jon and Daenerys. 

Jon and Sam head out to brings the maps to the Old Bear but Jon stops by and chats with Donald Noye, a character that doesn't appear in the show which is sad because there are so many good moments between him and Jon. They begin to chat about Rob which I will get into later but than they bring up Robert and we get some wise observation from Donald. He mentions that once Robert put on that crown he became a different man and than compares the Baratheons brothers to different steel. Before the crown Robert was true steel, the nest of them. One who had honor, was a warrior and a true leader. Stannis is pure iron, strong but brittle. It will break before it bends which is exactly how Stannis is. He will fight until he dies rather than surrender. Renly is copper, while it sure is pretty to look at, at the end of the day it ain't worth much. Renly is just playing King rather than actually living it. Honestly this observation sets in that fact that at this moment there really isn't one person who would be the perfect king. Renly may have the people love him but he won't command and Stannis is the opposite and Robert is dead. Donald Noye ladies a gentlemen, probably one of the wisest people when it comes to finding out someone's character. This also brings up the thought of who sides with who in this situation. Men of the Night's Watch are released from their loyalties once they swear the oath so they are not involved in the politics of the land. This doesn't stop them from having their own personal opinion, particularly as to who is the rightful king.  While Donald Noye seems to believe  Baratheon should have the Kings seat it really is unclear as to what Jon thinks.  While he is always on the side of Robb because he is his brother I don't necessarily think that Jon truly cates who the King is. I think he is in the group that is doing their best to stay politically neutral and focus on their life at the Wall.

Right now Jon is hearing lots of stories about his brother and we start to see the little bit of contention that Jon has. Jon was raised with Robb at almost exactly the same time. They grew up together, lives with each other, but we're raised differently. While Robb was heir to Winterfell and a kingdom Jobs future was unknown and didn't hold much for him. Robb is crowned King in the North and Jon is as the Wall where no one but the members of the Nights Watch will see the great work he will do. Jon is a bit bitter about this, he wants to make a difference in this world but he does want it to be known. I think this is a common weakness we all have and a good chunk of these character as well. Tyrion for example is the one who will save Kings Landing in the battle of Blackwater but in the end no one will know of this besides the soldiers he lead and himself. The history books will never know of the truth sadly and Jon is working on accepting that. At the end of the chapter the Old Bear basically coniorms all of this, comparing Robb and Jon to what they will do and what people will know. When you really think about it Robb did do some good things but nothing compares to what Jon will do.

We than get quite a long history about Maester Aemon and his relatives and family, his chance to become king and so forth.  While it is all interesting there wasn't that many things that I wanted to bring up. If there is something within that history that should be brought up than let me know.

Character Raring: Book
+1 to Mormont for his ferret story
+2 to Sam for his respect for the library.  
-1 to Jon. While it wasn't that big of change I feel like Jon is a tad shallow and a bit to stoic. Little too honorable to his oath in a sense where it just comes off... Blah.

Chapter 7 - Catelyn I - S2 E1

'In Which...
Robb gets his crown
Catelyn trues to be less motherly
And The Blackfish brings up  Good point'

Analysis/Summary

To Riverrun we go! Robb's crown has officially been created and to pay homage to the time when The North was it's seperate Kingdom it is made in the fashion of the crown that dubbed the last King in the North. No gold or silver, but iron and steel to represent the hard men who live there and fierceness of them. 9 long swords adorn the top and I'm not sure what those mine swords represent. Could represent the nine major houses of the North but I don't know what the major houses are up there so I can't say much.  With the new crown comes a little more attitude and confidence from Robb.  He sits on the Throne at Riverrun and a prisoner is brought to him, a Lannister cousin who is instructed to deliver a peace treaty to Cersei Lannister. Details are as follows:
  1. Arya and Sansa and her betrothal to Joffery for a few unimportant Lannister cousins and a squire of theirs... Really Robb? I'm sorry but no way in he'll is that even a fair trade for one thing and a very easy part to ignore due to that fact that Robb has Jamie as hostage. Two sisters for a brother, that makes a little more sense.
  2. Ned's bones and the bones of all the Winterfell guard are to be returned so that their bodies can be buried at their home. Now this is one that should be done just out of respect but with a little prick like Joffery he wants to keep the bodies and hang them up on the walls to humiliate them and disrespect the North. With this request we get a thought from Catelyn. She in part blames herself for the death of Ned and in a sense she did persuade Ned to go but she had no direct line to his death. I do T feel she was in the wrong to send Ned off to Kings Landing. But in times of tragedy we all blame ourselves for things like that.
  3. Ned's sword, Ice, must be returned. A fair thing to ask a a it is one of those almost cultural items that deserves to remain in Winterfell. Plus it must be pretty important to put it on the list.
  4. The next is basically an exchange of prisoners between the men that Robb imprisoned in the Whispering Woods minus Jamie Lannister and Tywin to release the men he captured at the battle of the Green Fork. Now the release of prisoners is a good idea but Robb you can't just keep your cake and eat it took... I think that's the proper way of using that term. Robb is just asking too much and it's pretty obvious to Catelyn.
  5. Last of all The North is to be considered its own Kingdom and will not be under the rules of The Iron Throne. Now this another one where I think Robb is asking a bit too much. So not only does he want from The Neck Up but he also wants the mountains of the Moon to the East and all the way to the Golden Tooth on the West... Basically half of Westeros goes to the North and that is going to be a HUGE hit to the economy of the South and that is just not going to happen in any way.
  6. Than it gets really complicated and I'm a little unsure as to why this was included, I guess it's like an insurance policy. Robb demands that ten highborn hostages to be held captive and he will release two of them every year that they keep their word involving the North being seperated from the South. In a sense it is just like how Theon was a Ward to the Starks, making sure The Greyjoys stayed at bay. This is definitely a little overstepping but that may just be my view. It seems like wards  are a sort of cultural thing because lineage plays such a big role in the hierarchy of this land.
     So finally this meeting is over and Robb heads out feeling like a boss because his wolf is really his strength but he really just comes out looking like a little boy showing off, according to his mother. Now this is where we get into the conflict between Robb and Caitlyn. So Robb is trying his best to be King, a couple battles under his belt, and a new crown on his head and he is feeling pretty high and mighty. Caitlyn is torn between being his mother, after all he is only fifteen, and being an advisor to him. Cause let's face it, Catelyn isn't happy with the peace treaty, she wants it to be changed, but she let Robb go on with it. Robb really wants to prove himself. When he first saw his mother on his March south he definitely was excited to see her and needed her but he has...  I dont know if he has gotten am ego but he definitely feels he can do this on his own, even to the point that he suggests Catelyn  to leave.  I personally think that having Catelyn around can't harm anything so Robb, get off your high horse and listen to your mother!

We than get a couple little tidbits. Theon is being sent as an envoy to the Iron Islands to rally his father to Robbs side to take down the Lannisters. Robb's leverage is that he will grant Balon Greyjoy a crown for his alliance. Catleyn doesn't think it should be Theon to go and I can see her side of that. Sending Balon's son to rally him to the ones who took Theon captive. Beric Dondarrion is mentioned and he going all Robin Hood and Tywin. A another host of soldiers are being trained at Castlery Rock if Tywin's army wasn't big enough. With that host being brought forth Catelyn has a light bulb moment and realizes that Renly Baratheon could be a huge ally... DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!

-2 to Robb. I feel like he got a little high and mighty
+2 to Catelyn. I feel like she had her head on straight and was thinking big while Robb was excited about his little peace treaty that he thought of all by himself. so proud. 

Sorry that I have been super lazy on my friday posts. summer vacations and such.

Chapter 8 - Tyrion II - S2 E2

'In Which...
Tyrion dines with Janos Slynt
A murder most foul is discussed
And Varys answers his riddle'

Commentary/Summary

Tyrion has graciously invited Janos Slynt to dinner... and he is the main course MUHAHAHA. Tyrion has brought up some of the finest wines to get Janos nice and drunk and is going to be digging information out of him until he gets his answers. Tyrion has been placed into the position of the Hand of the King and he is ensuring his safety and weeding out those who betrayed the previous Hand, Ned Stark. There chatting and having a good time and Tyrion observes the brand new sigil that Jason has dawned, a miniature spear with the tip covered in red. It doesn;t say that it is gold but That is how I view it. Janos was paid in gold to get the blood on his hands and now he is rewarded for what he has done. He has been promoted to a Lord and give Harrenhal as his seat; the largest and most cursed Keep in Westeros.  Everything is fine and dandy for Janos Slynt, life couldn't be easier....

Tyrion slowly begins to open up Janos Slynt like a surgeon, beginning with questions about his replacement. Janos has brought a list of people to replace him as Commander of the City Watch, Kings Landings army/Guards. Now let's think about this. If Janos Slynt sold out Ned Stark, which Tyrion hasn't gotten to yet, why would anyone want to replace him with someone whom he suggests? Now let's take a look at his replacement, Allar Deem. According to Janos he is one loyal guy and does what he is told, even to the point of questioning his actions. Tyrion asks about an event that happened in a brothel. Allar Deem was ordered to go and kill a small child and his mother because it was a bastard child of Robert Baratheon, so we can assume that the order was given by Cersei with the intent to protect the validity of Joffery's right to be King. Now this is what bother Tyrion the most. Having someone who will follow orders to the point where their conscience doesn't even kick in when they are asks to do something terrible just isn't something Tyrion wants.

Now Tyrion starts to get down to the real reason he brought Janos Slynt down for dinner, the death of Ned Stark. Tyrion finds it interesting that Cersei didn't see it coming neither did Varys,two if the most informed people in this Kingdom. Janos's explanation is that the king ordered it to which Ty ion replies that the king is thirteen... A very good point. At this point Janos is getting defensive as Tyrion accuses him or being bought. This is relating to when Littlefinger paid for the City Watch to betray Ned Stark. Unsure if Littlefinger had paid Janos to execute Ned without question but I don't think so. Than Tyrion just lays down the law. Janos Slynt's older  son will be recieved his lordship while the others become squires and Janos will be packed off to the Night's Watch. Jacelyn Bywater comes in, the new commander of the City Watch, and takes Janos away and is informed for Deem to have an unfortunate accident on the way to the  Wall. Tyrion is cleaning house. 

Than Varys comes gliding in on his slippers and Tyrion is  too happy to see him. A Tyrion brings up his temptation to throw Varys into the sea as well and Varys shoots right back. Varys says that the waves will come, little fish will be eaten by big fish and he will keep on paddling. Varys is not going anywhere because he is that good at blending in and working the system for him to keep his status.  They discuss Deem and the killing of the babe and Tyrion voices that he knows it was Cersei who made the orders to kill all the bastards of Robert. Than we get the answer to the question of who got Gentry out of the city? Varys. Now this tells us that Varys is working against the Queen and actually puts Varys in a better light as we generally don't like Cersei at this point.   
     Now Varys and Tyrion discuss the death of Ned and they have come to understand that it all points back to Joffery. Janos and Payne acted in his command and without hesitation, as Joffery had planned.  Tyrion plans to stop Joffery from commuting any follies. Now we get an answer to the riddle of the sells word, the king, the priest, and the rich man. Let's take a look at the execution situation. We got Ned on the block, Cersei (king), the high Septon (the Priest) and the rich man is no where to be found, possibly you could consider Varys as the rich man (rich in information) and Janos would be considered the sell sword. In the end Varys says that power resides where we believe it resides and in the case of Janos he saw believe that Joffery had the power. I really think that this moment and the execution could really be analyzed to the bone and I do plan on doing this in the future. Before Varys leaves he blows our mind with his list.basically he tells Tyrion all the things that are going on and what needs to be done. The Redwyne twins tried to to escape, Captains of some ships are to go swear their swords to Stannis, and so on. It really blows your mind how much he heads and knows.

Than we get one of my favorite endings for a chapter because it really continues with the theme of who has the power. So Tyrion ends up ending his dinner with Bronn and he asks him 'if I asked you to go kill a young babe would you do it?'  Bronn replies 'I would ask how much'.

Character Rating: Book
+3 to Varys. We really start to like him here because he is siding with Tyrion over Cersei. 
+2 to Tyrion. He gets all up in Janos Slynt grill and we just get mad respect for him for being able to take control like that. 

Chapter 9 - Arya III - S2 E2

'In Which...
Not a lot happens
Wolves show up
and Arya... thinks'

Commentary/Summary

So am I'm sure you noticed, either from reading or from the title of this chapter, that not much happens in this chapter. In a nut shell Arya and the Night's Watch crew are just trying to keep away from the Gold Cloaks... that's about it. Never the less let's take a little bit of a dive into this. So we get a good description of the country side and about the roads which around the parts south of the God's eye get quite narrow. This could actually point to the fact that Yoren and his crew are running out options and are becoming more vulnerable because of the direction they are going. Possibly. They travel most of the day and at night Yoren sets up sentries but Arya doesn't trust them worth nothing.  So  can sneak by them when she goes out to use the bathroom so her confidence is a little low when it comes to her safety.  While they are traveling we get a few farmers demanding that they are paid for the corn that they have been taking. While Yoren does pay the farmers he comments that men of Night's Watch used to be  honored guests in people's homes. This is just another reminder that The Night's Watch used to be a very noble thing and not just a place to dump criminals. I don't know the exact history of the decline of the Night's Watch but i assume it was the order of a King who had the idea to send criminals up that way after nothing interesting happened at The Wall for a while. They stop by a burned down and raided hold fast and pick up a mother and a small child who are close to death. Than we get a Arya and the wolves are of one heart moment. So Arya goes out to take a leak and a wolf comes out and is like yo whats up. Arya heads back and have a little chat with Yoren.

Apologize for the lateness of the post and I apologize for this chapter really didn't catch me at all. Hopefully the next one will be a little more exciting. If you all found something interesting in this chapter let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...
Wanted to apologize for not posting anything lately. My wife and I found out we are pregnant so I have been taking care of her lately and I'm hopping back into college and so on. So I'm sorry but my posts probably won't be consistent for a little while.

Archived