Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

When Aemon was offered the crown, the High Septon was going to absolve him of his maesters vow.

Does this mean that, in theory, the High Septon can absolve the vows of the NW too? (Albeit for those who took the vow by the faith of the 7, not the old gods)

When Aemon was offered the crown, the High Septon was going to absolve him of his maesters vow.

Does this mean that, in theory, the High Septon can absolve the vows of the NW too? (Albeit for those who took the vow by the faith of the 7, not the old gods)

eta: On the High Septon

I don't remember at the moment but the case of the High Septon absolving freeing from marriage vows and other vows (eta3: "I wonder what the High Septon would have to say about the sanctity of oaths sworn while dead drunk, chained to a wall, with a sword pressed to your chest?" ASoS 01 Jaime I) comes up in the story (eta2: release from King's Guard vows in ASoS 62 Jaime VII), so it seems, if vows are made in the light of the seven, and the High Septon represents the seven on earth, then he can absolve Night's Watch vows made in the name of the seven.

Inside the story, some people do believe that even the king (or the queen dowager in Cersei's case) of the seven kingdoms and his council would be able to do that. Osney Kettleblack is promised the wall and later an absolution from his vows by Cersei (in AFfC 39 Cersei IX end-of-chapter) as one example that springs to mind. Stannis' offer to Jon (in ADwD 17 Jon IV) is the other (it is in the book that was published later, but happens much earlier in chronology - and Stannis and Cersei madetheir own opinions without ever consulting each other or knowing of each other's actual plans).

Aside from that belief, we haven't heard of that kind of thing happening yet.

Looking at all the transformation happening at the wall through the course of the story, I could resume that the Night's Watch is about to go extinct and at the same time being heavily reformed to contain un-sworn non-brothers, be it Giant(s), Stannis's knights and retainers commanded for support and possibly soon some more people serving for a time. So chances are, that it is going to happen.

Another question arises again: What if the king of the realm, whose power and laws supposedly end at the wall, commands a brother of the Knight's Watch to be relieved of his vows, and that sworn brother, like Jon in above example, refuses?

eta: On the High Septon

I don't remember at the moment but the case of the High Septon absolving freeing from marriage vows and other vows (eta3: "I wonder what the High Septon would have to say about the sanctity of oaths sworn while dead drunk, chained to a wall, with a sword pressed to your chest?" ASoS 01 Jaime I) comes up in the story (eta2: release from King's Guard vows in ASoS 62 Jaime VII), so it seems, if vows are made in the light of the seven, and the High Septon represents the seven on earth, then he can absolve Night's Watch vows made in the name of the seven.

Inside the story, some people do believe that even the king (or the queen dowager in Cersei's case) of the seven kingdoms and his council would be able to do that. Osney Kettleblack is promised the wall and later an absolution from his vows by Cersei (in AFfC 39 Cersei IX end-of-chapter) as one example that springs to mind. Stannis' offer to Jon (in ADwD 17 Jon IV) is the other (it is in the book that was published later, but happens much earlier in chronology - and Stannis and Cersei madetheir own opinions without ever consulting each other or knowing of each other's actual plans).

Aside from that belief, we haven't heard of that kind of thing happening yet.

Looking at all the transformation happening at the wall through the course of the story, I could resume that the Night's Watch is about to go extinct and at the same time being heavily reformed to contain un-sworn non-brothers, be it Giant(s), Stannis's knights and retainers commanded for support and possibly soon some more people serving for a time. So chances are, that it is going to happen.

Another question arises again: What if the king of the realm, whose power and laws supposedly end at the wall, commands a brother of the Knight's Watch to be relieved of his vows, and that sworn brother, like Jon in above example, refuses?
Power resides where men believe it resides. Some might believe that seeking to absolve one's vows, or accepting such absolution woul be dishonorable.

I think it really only matters whether the other Night's Watchmen accept that absolution or not.  I could easily see situations where someone is "absolved" by the (a) king, but his brothers declare him a deserter.  Or maybe a northern lord decides that the king's absolution doesn't apply and takes off his head anyway.  

Stannis' offer probably would have been accepted by the Watch because Stannis had an army there with him, and those who would object would have been happy to see Jon give up his position of LC anyway.

Is everyone with a last name (except bastards) part of a house? Or are there just last names?

And a s/o, are all women born into a house automatically a lady?

So for example we know there is a "house cassel". So is rodrik's daughter "Lady Beth"? We only see her called Beth iirc. Same with Jeyne. And even though her father is "only" a steward and not a lord, is she Lady Jeyne?

Yes... a last name usually already is or would eventually become a family name, and given they lead a household, it will become the name of the house.

...and no, a last name may be given or received, as we see in The Sworn Sword... 80 years later one of those names has become a family name in the series.

There is a distinction between a family and a noble house (or family), though. But that's another story.

No, normally only one of the women born or more often married into a noble house is the lady, the one who is either leading it or the wife of the current lord. But all the other women may be styled "lady" as a honorific title.

Jeyne Beth is not a lady in her own right, her father was (only) a knight, but she of course is not.

Harys is huge right, he's probably super specific about what he wants.  "I want a honeyed duck, but not normal honey I want the bees to only get nectar from blueberry bushes, and make sure you add some spices, and make sure my wines not too cold, and make sure I have some chocolate afterwards, and I only like dark chocolate not that milk chocolate crap, etc etc."

Harys is huge right, he's probably super specific about what he wants.  "I want a honeyed duck, but not normal honey I want the bees to only get nectar from blueberry bushes, and make sure you add some spices, and make sure my wines not too cold, and make sure I have some chocolate afterwards, and I only like dark chocolate not that milk chocolate crap, etc etc."

I don't recall him being described as fat?

I asked about this about a year and a half ago, but I don't recall getting a satisfactory answer...

Arya did not know who Bloody Mummers were until a fortnight later, when the queerest company of men she'd ever seen arrived at Harrenhal. Beneath the standard of a black goat with bloody horns rode copper men with bells in their braids; lancers astride striped black-and-white horses; bowmen with powdered cheeks; squat hairy men with shaggy shields; brown-skinned men in feathered cloaks; a wispy fool in green-and-pink motley; swordsmen with fantastic forked beards dyed green and purple and silver; spearmen with colored scars that covered their cheeks; a slender man in septon's robes, a fatherly one in maester's grey, and a sickly one whose leather cloak was fringed with long blond hair.

Arya VII, Clash 30

That last one is Urswyck, isn't he?

I asked about this about a year and a half ago, but I don't recall getting a satisfactory answer...

Arya VII, Clash 30

That last one is Urswyck, isn't he?

:agree:  That would be my guess since Jamie basically describes him as sickly or corpse like.

ASoS: Jamie III

"I have that honor, Ser Jaime." The cadaver's eyes were rimmed in red, his hair thin and dry. Dark blue veins could be seen through the pallid skin of his hands and face. "Urswyck I am. Called Urswyck the Faithful."

The he may have only fringed his cloak with his dead wifes hair or he could be taking a page for the Bolton book and flayed her for the cloak. :eek:

do you think we will ever learn what happened to bloodraven to give him the greensight? bran fell (pushed) from the tower. Jojen had the the grey fever. But what happend to Bloodraven?

He is an albino, isnt that enough o.o

Anyone have an opinion on who Ser Shadrich is, or who he is really working for? Is he really just a hedge knight looking for a cash out in Sansa or could he be working for the Manderly's, or the Tully's, or some other family worth considering? I keep rereading the WoW sample chapters, and something keeps bringing me back to this character, I'd like to think his sigil is a clue to something but I'm not sure what?

Anyone have an opinion on who Ser Shadrich is, or who he is really working for? Is he really just a hedge knight looking for a cash out in Sansa or could he be working for the Manderly's, or the Tully's, or some other family worth considering? I keep rereading the WoW sample chapters, and something keeps bringing me back to this character, I'd like to think his sigil is a clue to something but I'm not sure what?

I'd like to think that he is one of Varys' paid informers, considering his nickname, the Mad Mouse.

Archived