Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

Lets say some average low class commoner, tavern bartender, a field worker, fisherman's daugher etc basically any woman not working in a brothel. If a lord seduces her and she gets pregnant & gives birth. How does she proceed to let the lord know? What if...there were some tourney or something and the woman slept with 2 or more lords in the same time period. Then later on gives birth. Which lord does this simplefolk contact? I don't think low class commoners get to chat with lords even through ravens...

Also a lot of babies born looks neither like both their parents until some time. I mean if the seed is strong and the baby had purple eyes or hair than its pretty obvious.

What will happen to this bastard?

Lets say some average low class commoner, tavern bartender, a field worker, fisherman's daugher etc basically any woman not working in a brothel. If a lord seduces her and she gets pregnant & gives birth. How does she proceed to let the lord know? What if...there were some tourney or something and the woman slept with 2 or more lords in the same time period. Then later on gives birth. Which lord does this simplefolk contact? I don't think low class commoners get to chat with lords even through ravens...

Also a lot of babies born looks neither like both their parents until some time. I mean if the seed is strong and the baby had purple eyes or hair than its pretty obvious.

What will happen to this bastard?

The woman could wait until the child began to display hid fathers looks, as to have proof for the lord, as well as knowledge of who to go to.

She could also simply take her chances by chosing one to go to. Which one would depend on the men, and her perception if them.

Unless Tyrion is infertile, i'm sure one the whores he slept over his lifetime with have gotten pregnant even after moon tea. Isn't it strange that Tyrion's 2nd home are brothels and yet he has no bastards? 

Perhaps he did, perhaps he didn't. If the girls took moon tea, there would be no child.

If he did ever get a girl pregnant, he doesn't know about it.

The woman could wait until the child began to display hid fathers looks, as to have proof for the lord, as well as knowledge of who to go to.

She could also simply take her chances by chosing one to go to. Which one would depend on the men, and her perception if them.

Doesn't Moon Tea have adverse effects? That is not 100% Guaranteed? 

Aren't there any good diggers. Why hasn't there been women with babies lineing outside of Tyrion's home? 

Roose Bolton talking :

"This miller's marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he was swaying. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day."
"A year later this same wench had the impudence to turn up at the Dreadfort with a squalling, red-faced monster that she claimed was my own get. I should've had the mother whipped and thrown her child down a well... but the babe did have my eyes. She told me that when her dead husband's brother saw those eyes, he beat her bloody and drove her from the mill. That annoyed me, so I gave her the mill and had the brother's tongue cut out, to make certain he did not go running to Winterfell with tales that might disturb Lord Rickard. Each year I sent the woman some piglets and chickens and a bag of stars, on the understanding that she was never to tell the boy who had fathered him. A peaceful land, a quiet people, that has always been my rule."

Doesn't Moon Tea have adverse effects? That is not 100% Guaranteed? 

Aren't there any good diggers. Why hasn't there been women with babies lineing outside of Tyrion's home? 

It can be used both before and after possible conception. No where is it ever stated that moon tea has not worked on an occasion.

As to the possible gold diggers.. I'm certain there are a few. But in Tyrion' case, why no one ever brought a child of his to Casterly Rock, if there has been one, is very simple if I gave to guess; Tywin.

We know that Tyrion is an overly sentimental softie at heart.  If some whore showed up with a baby and said it was his, he would not forget that, regardless of what happened to it.  So I think we can confidently say he has never known of any bastards.  Now, if some opportunistic woman tried to get Tywin to pay for a bastard by claiming it was Tyrion's, she wouldn't be around long enough for word to spread. 

I think Tyrion probably is sterile.  He doesn't know it, obviously, and it is assumed that he will be able to impregnate Sansa, but by the numbers it just seems like he'd have slipped one past the goalie before if he was capable.

I have a quick question there...is it known who first came up with the suggestion of RLJ? Or was it more than just one person? Where did the idea originated from and when?

I was spoiled before I read the books, but there are a lot of folks who say they caught it as they read it. With hindsight, it's pretty hard to miss, no?

AsoIaF internet communities have been around for quite some time.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/26421-the-history-of-the-board/

I'd expect RLJ was first figured out in the mid to late 90's, no? Believe it or not, there wasn't as much Internet back then. The BlackBerry and smartphones weren't around before Storm. There were less than 5 million websites back in the late 90s (there are nearly a billion now). So, I think it's safe to say, the first readers who figured out RLJ were not discussing it in Internet forums.

I'd expect RLJ was first figured out in the mid to late 90's, no? Believe it or not, there wasn't as much Internet back then. The BlackBerry and smartphones weren't around before Storm. There were less than 5 million websites back in the late 90s (there are nearly a billion now). So, I think it's safe to say, the first readers who figured out RLJ were not discussing it in Internet forums.

That should be obvious. We already know that Anne Groell figured out the identity of Jon's mother from AGoT manuscript. I was under the impression that winterfellbeyondthewall wanted to know when it was first posted online. Based on a post in RLJ v.1 it seems that the theory was around on the original Dragonstone site circa.1997.

Reading Sansa's chapter at the Tourney of the Hand, we get this description of Ser Hugh's death that screams of foreshadowing / symbolism to me, but I couldn't find any threads on it:

The youth fell not ten feet from where Sansa was seated. The point of Ser Gregor's lance had snapped off in his neck, and his life's blood flowed out in slow pulses, each weaker than the one before. His armor was shiny new, a bright streak of fire ran down his outstretched arm, as the steel caught the light. Then the sun went behind a cloud, and it was gone. His cloak was blue, the color of the sky on a clear summer's day, trimmed with a border of crescent moons, but as his blood seeped into it, the cloth darkened and the moons turned red, one by one.

Varys later posits that Ser Hugh could have been the one to poison Jon Arryn, and I believe Pycelle mentions that he agrees. What I find odd is that it makes perfect sense if what we are lead to believe up until that point, that Jamie and Cersei are responsible, turns out to be true. Which of course it doesn't. A 'red handed' knight, made so by the sun (Jaime's face is often described as a sun) which then hides from view, leading to the blood stained moons that appear in the Arryn sigil. Ser Gregor of course, a Lannister man through and through. Unless GRRM changed his mind as to the perpetrator of Arryn's murder? Are there examples of foreshadowing Littlefinger & Lysa's involvement in aGoT?

Archived