GRRM on Gendry and Arya (Allegedly)

Joan Jett

Frankly, I don't ship Gendry/Arya, but to dismiss them just because Arya is too 'mentally damaged' is really silly. Characters develop; Jaime, Sansa. Arya has found 'happiness' in some way, she is still capable of making friends; Daena. I don't really see her 'mentally damaged' self really coming in between those. And imo, it will be totally realistic if GRRM decides to add things the fandom thinks she's too 'mentally damaged' for, in her story-line. What do people define as 'realistic'? Shadowbabies? Dragons? Girl coming out unharmed from a burning pyre? 

For crying out loud, people, the girl is 11 years old.  There's plenty of time for her to grow up, change, heal, etc.  She does not HAVE to be doomed to misery.  Will she get a fairytale ending?  Of course not!  This is GRRM.  But that doesn't mean she can't have some small amount of happiness, assuming she lives--which of course is a coin flip.

Her chances of any romance at this point are nonexistent, because at this point she has no interest in that kind of thing.  But she doesn't seem to have gone through puberty either.  She may be changing her mind about a lot of things in the final books.

Yeah, cause mentally damaged people can't possibly recover or have relationships.  :rolleyes:

It's not up to you, or me, or anybody else on this forum to decide what Arya's story is or is not.  That's GRRM's call and he's playing her more as a vigilante dispenser of justice than someone fully bent on revenge.  And as I pointed out above, she's 11 years old.  Very few people remain stuck the way they were at age 11.

Yeah because 11 year olds have a list of people they want to kill, and are training with an assassin cult so they can achieve this dream :rolleyes:.
Not getting into an argument over this.
If GRRM did create a happy ending, I would find that inconsistent and unrealistic to Arya and her current mental state.
I'm not saying that's how it should happen. I'm saying I just can't see that naturally happening.

Lol, what? There's more to her story than just 'revenge tragedy'.

Once again, not getting into an argument over this. But in case you haven't noticed, all of the elements that once made up Arya are basically gone. All that's left is her desire for revenge
[spoiler]If you have read the mercy chapter you'd know what I'm talking about - since the only thing in that chapter that resembled Arya, was the fact she wanted to kill someone from her list. (Raff)[/spoiler]

But in case you haven't noticed, all of the elements that made up Arya have basically gone. All that's left is her desire for revenge and to kill the people on her list.
[spoiler]If you have read the mercy chapter you'd know what I'm talking about[/spoiler]

Except Needle. Honestly your interpretation of Arya is so...depressing...

Once again, not getting into an argument over this. But in case you haven't noticed, all of the elements that once made up Arya are basically gone. All that's left is her desire for revenge
[spoiler]If you have read the mercy chapter you'd know what I'm talking about[/spoiler]

And what is that desire for revenge driven by? Her family & her friends. If you had noticed, the people on her list aren't even there because of what they did to her, but mostly because what they did to her family and friends.

Yeah because 11 year olds have a list of people they want to kill, and are training with an assassin cult so they can achieve this dream

How does this refute the fact that Arya is an eleven year old, that has a lot of growing and maturing to do?

I think it would be quite fitting for Arya to be the one to marry the knight ect whilst Sansa ends up Queen of Thornes type only without the family.

I agree with this. Except it is my belief that Arya will become the first 'Queen of Winter'. I think her or Cat was included in Robb's will (ahead of Jon Snow). Either way LSH will give Robb's crown to Arya. :smoking:

And what is that desire for revenge driven by? Her family & her friends. If you had noticed, the people on her list aren't even there because of what they did to her, but mostly because what they did to her family and friends.

I don't know what your trying to prove.
Revenge is caused by wrongs done to someone or to someone that person cared about. I said I viewed Arya's story as more of a revenge tragedy.
Anyway, last comment. Since I don't have any intention of derailing a thread.

How does this refute the fact that Arya is an eleven year old, that has a lot of growing and maturing to do?

Okay last comment now. Because Arya is a traumatised girl. If you think she can grow up and mature and live her life like other people despite all the mentally scarring things she's seen, then fine.

I don't know what your trying to prove.
Revenge is caused by wrongs done to someone or to someone that person cared about. I said I viewed Arya's story as more of a revenge tragedy.
Anyway, last comment. Since I don't have any intention of derailing a thread.

You said 'all of the elements that once made up Arya are basically gone.' Her love for her family isn't gone, she still thinks of Jon. Her 'desire for revenge' is driven by the wrongdoings that were done to her family and friends. She still has needle, she has her connection to Nymeria. 

He does?  Where did he say that?  And, somehow, I don't see Sansa being the least bossy wife in the world.  That girl knows what she wants...even if it's not best for her.

No, Gendry never says outright he likes bossy girls, but him hanging around the bossy little girl Willow (aka the Arya replacement) kind of sealed it for me. It seems she left a mark on him.

You said 'all of the elements that once made up Arya are basically gone.' Her love for her family isn't gone, she still thinks of Jon. Her 'desire for revenge' is driven by the wrongdoings that were done to her family and friends. She still has needle, she has her connection to Nymeria. 

Key word.
Her desire for revenge, in my opinion, is over lapping those elements. But whatever, that's my opinion.
(Okay last comment now).

Key word.
Her desire for revenge, in my opinion, is over lapping those elements. But whatever p, that's my opinion.
(Okay last comment now).

That doesn't even make sense considering that the 'desire' is driven by the wrongdoings done to her family & friends. 

Key word.
Her desire for revenge, in my opinion, is over lapping those elements. But whatever, that's my opinion.
(Okay last comment now).

Btk, not going to argue with you.  We disagree and that's fine.  But I do want to recommend that you check out the discussion of Arya in sweetsunray's analysis of her in the Valkyrie role.  It's good reading and covers the issue of revenge vs justice.

Yeah because 11 year olds have a list of people they want to kill, and are training with an assassin cult so they can achieve this dream :rolleyes:.
Not getting into an argument over this.
If GRRM did create a happy ending, I would find that inconsistent and unrealistic to Arya and her current mental state.
I'm not saying that's how it should happen. I'm saying I just can't see that naturally happening.

Fantasy series.  Most of us don't have dragons or worry about ice zombies either.

I didn't say anything about her getting a "happy ending," by the way.  I said she could have some happiness.  That's not the same thing as the bouncy, bubbly, joyful, Disney ending you seem to dread--and we all know GRRM isn't going there for any of his characters, except maybe The Great Other, just to mess with us. ;)

I wouldn't bet there weren't medieval 11 year olds who had lists of people they'd like to kill. The odds of finding a good magic assassin club to join would of course have been low.

Archived