Fool's Quest

jurble

with regards to Fitz and Kettriken, I've always felt a small amount of tension between them fraught with possibilities. When they shared the bed, a small part of me wanted them to turn to each other, but only a small part. It would be convenient and even logical, but it wouldn't feel right. Obviously the timing is wrong, but besides that, I think the mere fact that Fitz fathered her son is something that would keep them apart. Like, if they got together, it would seem more like their son and a pretender rather than the rightful heir to Verity. Being together would make it more real to both of them and that doesn't seem a Kettriken thing to do. Sacrifice and all.

I don't usually ship, but I ship the hell out of Fitz and Kettricken. In another world, where Fitz was Chivalry's heir, he would almost certainly have been married off to Kettricken - being closer to her in age than Verity was. And they would have been great together.

I have been a Hobb fan for years, FA and FQ have been amazing to sit and plough through. Fitz is still Fitz but a little older and wiser and i just love bee and her wolf father. The skill is the thing i loved the most about this book especially with more information on the skill stones and what the skill is exactly. All in all disapponted i have to wait a year now to conclude the life of Fitz.

I'm looking forward to the next book but I'll be sad when it's over, knowing this is the last chapter in the Fitz story (Or that's the impression I have anyway)

The question isn't whether it's plausible within the fiction for Fitz not to put things together within a certain timeframe; the question is whether it's satisfying in literary terms to make readers wait hundreds of pages across two books for characters to discover things the readers already knew. In small doses dramatic irony can be potent, but when overplayed and hammered home it can also frustrate, especially in a series that is, ah, not exactly fast-paced in other respects. I enjoyed Fool's Quest very much-- it reactivated my enthusiasm for the setting and the characters, which Fool's Assassin had failed to do-- but structurally, it has some real issues.

Yeah, I understand that as a valid criticism of the books. It didn't take away from my enjoyment, but of course ymmv and I can understand why it would.

with regards to Fitz and Kettriken, I've always felt a small amount of tension between them fraught with possibilities. When they shared the bed, a small part of me wanted them to turn to each other, but only a small part. It would be convenient and even logical, but it wouldn't feel right. Obviously the timing is wrong, but besides that, I think the mere fact that Fitz fathered her son is something that would keep them apart. Like, if they got together, it would seem more like their son and a pretender rather than the rightful heir to Verity. Being together would make it more real to both of them and that doesn't seem a Kettriken thing to do. Sacrifice and all.

Agreed. And a small part of me wanted them to turn to each other too. But I don't think it would ever happen, there would always be this sense of Verity between them, because they both loved him in their own way, and I don't think they could forget him.

And speaking of Verity...
[spoiler] I cannot wait for a rampage by Verity-as-Dragon to protect little Bee. Sincerely hoping this does actually happen in the next book. Any suffering Dwalia and the rest face is thoroughly deserved.

So, does anyone think Wolf-father will ever be fully explained. It seems pretty obvious it's Nighteyes, but I don't understand how Bee "hears" him, or how his awareness remains. The latter I suppose is a bit like Fitz living on in Nighteyes' body after his death in Regal's dungeons, but that still doesn't explain how Bee hears him.
Also suspect that the presence of Motley is going to somehow end up being significant. Don't know how, but there has to be a reason Hobb has gone to such lengths to have her pass through the Stones with Fitz and co. [/spoiler]

Fitz and Kettricken have great chemistry together, but it's hard to say whether that's from romantic possibilities or that they've been through so much together.  Kettricken owes everything she has to Fitz and Fitz has relied on Kettricken to be a source of strength for him at various times when he finally collapsed under the weight of his own demands on himself.  

I don't want them to get together though, because unless Fitz dies at the end of the next book, he'll outlive her by far thanks to that skill healing and see yet another love die by his side.  

[spoiler] I cannot wait for a rampage by Verity-as-Dragon to protect little Bee. Sincerely hoping this does actually happen in the next book. Any suffering Dwalia and the rest face is thoroughly deserved.

So, does anyone think Wolf-father will ever be fully explained. It seems pretty obvious it's Nighteyes, but I don't understand how Bee "hears" him, or how his awareness remains. The latter I suppose is a bit like Fitz living on in Nighteyes' body after his death in Regal's dungeons, but that still doesn't explain how Bee hears him.
Also suspect that the presence of Motley is going to somehow end up being significant. Don't know how, but there has to be a reason Hobb has gone to such lengths to have her pass through the Stones with Fitz and co. [/spoiler]

oooh

[spoiler]

I hadn't considered Verity-as-dragon on a rampage but with his skilling to Fitz after seeing him (not just when he was right there but after) means he's more awake and aware than we'd been led to believe - though not by much.  

Nighteyes - I'm just totally pulling this out of my butt - I think part of him was somehow kept alive by the years of contact with the Skill combined with Fitz and the Fool becoming one during their trip through the Skill pillar.  Because of that, a residue of Nighteyes remained and somehow attached itself to Bee since she was the product of both of them.  Though now that I'm thinking of it, their "merging" happened after Nighteyes died so that goes on the window.  

[/spoiler]

AP, you missed the / from your last spoiler bracket
[spoiler] In the excerpt of Bee's dream journal at the beginning of the final chapter, she has dreamed of being lost in the Skill current when Verity-as-Dragon speaks to her and says he will protect her as Fitz protected his 'Cubs'. Wolf father also tells Bee to run to one who can hel her "if we can wake him." I thought that was a pretty clear implication of where she was fleeing to. Only question now is whether she can wake him. (I'm going to assume yes, because the idea of Verity as Dragon rampaging and killing/driving insane Dwalia and the other Servants is too wonderful to pass up[/spoiler]

The question isn't whether it's plausible within the fiction for Fitz not to put things together within a certain timeframe; the question is whether it's satisfying in literary terms to make readers wait hundreds of pages across two books for characters to discover things the readers already knew. In small doses dramatic irony can be potent, but when overplayed and hammered home it can also frustrate, especially in a series that is, ah, not exactly fast-paced in other respects. I enjoyed Fool's Quest very much-- it reactivated my enthusiasm for the setting and the characters, which Fool's Assassin had failed to do-- but structurally, it has some real issues.

Actually you pose two questions that are the same thing basically to me.  Plausibility is a huge matter in literary satisfaction.  And for me Hobb with Fitz and his perceptions (and lack thereof) do just fine and dandy.  But I have no real issues with the book as you seem to whatever the case.  Thanks goodness tastes don't have to agree, they just have to abide.

[spoiler24]What happens if Verity is roused and ends up in Kelsingra with all that liquid skill?[/spoiler24]

Regarding Bee and Wolf-father. Spoilers below.

I have no real idea how that is a thing. My only guess is that Nighteyes has been living in Fitz since his death, but Fitz's grief has blocked him out. He seems to grieve for Nighteyes longer and harder than the other Witted we've seen who have lost companions. So if Nighteyes is still living on in Fitz, perhaps it's possible he is reaching out on his own to the one person he can touch, since Fitz has up walls. Maybe Motley will help break down those walls and let Fitz heal enough to touch Nighteyes again.

Just finished today and I am processing. Clearly I do need to read The Rain Wild Chronicles.

[spoiler] Please Fitz, just show the damn dream journal to the Fool! Gah! I love you but ya killing me! [/spoiler]

I can feel the withdrawals coming on. Why did I read it so quickly?

with regards to Fitz and Kettriken, I've always felt a small amount of tension between them fraught with possibilities. 

Haven't read Fool's Quest yet. But I have always felt that there was, or could be something between these two.

But never with Molly in the picture since she is/was his great love without a doubt.

[spoiler] In the excerpt of Bee's dream journal at the beginning of the final chapter, she has dreamed of being lost in the Skill current when Verity-as-Dragon speaks to her and says he will protect her as Fitz protected his 'Cubs'. Wolf father also tells Bee to run to one who can hel her "if we can wake him." I thought that was a pretty clear implication of where she was fleeing to. Only question now is whether she can wake him. (I'm going to assume yes, because the idea of Verity as Dragon rampaging and killing/driving insane Dwalia and the other Servants is too wonderful to pass up[/spoiler]

That confirms it, I read this book too damned fast because I completely forgot about that epilogue.  

Went back and read this again, agree that it is foreshadowing some Verity-as-Dragon action, which as been said would be so great, this book to me is hobbs best book in a while, dunno if its the coming together of all threads but it has me humming like the Skill stream :drunk:

OK, I think I've finally worked out how to do a spolier tag.

[spoiler]I think the bear will get kill most of them.  I'm not sure that Verity will come alive, although it would be great if he did.  Maybe Verity-as-Dragon will find another way to help Bee.  If he does come alive though, it'll be interesting to see how the Kelisingra dragons will react to him.  I do hope that Bee and Fitz will meet soon and then go the journey together.  I think that Dwalia may end up going with Fitz's group.  As well as Vindeliar.  Now Fitz with his new found power and VIndeliar will be an interesting meeting. Dwalia and the Fool will be an interesting meeting too.

On another note, I am really enjoying the Spark/Ash and Per's relationship and how it echoes Fitz and Fool/Amber's relationship.  I loved that scene where Amber and Spark are telling the story of what happened in Kelsingra, with all 4 (and Lant) all interacting.together.  And how Fitz is accepting of Amber, whereas in the previous trilogy he was so upset by it[/spoiler]

Regarding Bee and Wolf-father. Spoilers below.

[Spoiler]I have no real idea how that is a thing. My only guess is that Nighteyes has been living in Fitz since his death, but Fitz's grief has blocked him out. He seems to grieve for Nighteyes longer and harder than the other Witted we've seen who have lost companions. So if Nighteyes is still living on in Fitz, perhaps it's possible he is reaching out on his own to the one person he can touch, since Fitz has up walls. Maybe Motley will help break down those walls and let Fitz heal enough to touch Nighteyes again.[/Spoiler]

Oh, please let that happen!  I'm reaching for the Kleenex already, at the mere prospect of it.

But in the same vein, what do we all think about the....

[Spoiler] Wolf of the West prophecy?  Is this also a reference to Nighteyes?  However, he is supposed to come from the Mountain Kingdoms, which to me, suggests this has something to do with Kettricken.[/Spoiler]

Oh, please let that happen!  I'm reaching for the Kleenex already, at the mere prospect of it.

But in the same vein, what do we all think about the....

[Spoiler] Wolf of the West prophecy?  Is this also a reference to Nighteyes?  However, he is supposed to come from the Mountain Kingdoms, which to me, suggests this has something to do with Kettricken.[/Spoiler]

[spoiler] Fitz is referred to as a wolf by Verity-as-Dragon, who also calls Bee Fitz' "cub" and it can't really be argued that he isn't wolfish (hell he actually was a wolf after Royal Assassin). Also, Fitz does come from the Mountain Kingdom. His mother's family gave him over to Burrich on the border of the Mountain Kingdom where she presumably came from (certainly, Fitz believes his mother was a Mountain woman [/spoiler]

Archived