Fool's Quest

jurble

Liveship was slow. But by no means boring. Once you get going its awesome! The whole last book was just one crazy thing after another. Rain Wild Chronicles I read more out of curiosity than anything thing else. Which I was glad I did when I got done with Fools Quest. They are actually very entertaining books. With lots of new interesting characters. Don't hate on LIve SHips or Tawny Man both great trilogies. GREAT :bowdown:

Question

[spoiler] I was wondering if any one had any thoughts about the wolf dreams Fitz was having.
I think they happened twice.
It's been a while since reading the previous books. This is a different wolf to Nighteyes? At least that's the impression I got.

Fitz was fully aware of it's thoughts and fears and senses all while perceiving it as a dream. But it seems like the wolf was unaware of him. So was it just a Strange dream. A long ago memory from Nighteyes. Or is Fitz unknowingly establishing a wit bond with another wolf? [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Perhaps then, reconnecting with Nighteyes. Though I'm trying to remember at what point Fitz tried to search himself for anything left of Nighteyes and couldn't find/feel anything. If that was before or after the wolf dreams. [/spoiler]

I'm going to have to go back and re-read it with that perspective in mind. Thanks

I think I didn't read it that way because of how it seemed to resonate with his Wit and the altered senses he seemed to have.

But this is a very interesting take. And a difference in communication value between Bee vs Fitz.

Fitz feels alone. Like Nighteyes is no longer with him. So he is getting dreams.

Bee knows Wolf-father is with her and gets a more direct presences.

I just finished it, it was pretty good. I definitely enjoyed some of the bits with Fitz at Buckkeep.

I gave up on the Rain Wilds Chronicles halfway through but now it appears like it's going to be more significant I think I'll have to go back and finish it. At least it'll give me something to read while we're waiting for the last book.

Hi, I'm new here.  Just wanted to share something I couldn't help noting.

[spoiler24]Nighteyes probably gained some kind of skill through Fitz during the healing process that's probably why Bee is able to hear him. He become part of the skill stream after dying. Making it possible for him to communicate with Bee and Fitz. Fitz probably doesn't realize since he has too many memories of Nighteyes to differentiate the change.
Nighteyes states:

There is one here who will help us if I can wake him. Run. Run where I show you.
Nighteyes is going to wake up Verity-turned-dragon through the skill.[/spoiler24]

Just finished Fool's Quest. Kind of blown away by it, especially the ending.

I have to say that this book settles the question of whether people should read the various series in order. I guess it's still possible to just read the Fitz books, but you miss so much. And presumably more to come in book 3.

Just finished Fool's Quest. Kind of blown away by it, especially the ending.

I have to say that this book settles the question of whether people should read the various series in order. I guess it's still possible to just read the Fitz books, but you miss so much. And presumably more to come in book 3.

Yeah ,  I think there is a very strong chance that a lot of book three will not make much sense if you skipped all four of the Rain Wild Chronicles.  Or at least the sense Hobb intends the reader to enjoy!

The rain wild chronicles are basically the story of the characters that show up in the last few chapters in Kelsingra, with the exception of Reyn and Malta who featured more prominently in the liveship traders. So far their backstory isn't crucial to Fool's Quest, but that could of course change with the next book.

The foreshadowed outcome of the first book of Bee being taken to Clerres as a captive doesn't seem very likely now. The image of the servants' expedition of being almost invincible is pretty much shattered and they barely made it out of the six duchies alive and having lost most of their resources. It has also become obvious that far from having at their disposal a comprehensive map of the future, their prophecies are inadequate and when things don't go their way they lose their shit. At this point they don't seem likely to get out of the mountains on their own.

Though I suppose after some merry dance they will eventually end up in Clerres.

In the first book there is a dream of Bee's that makes me think that the Fool is the architect of all this. The dream unequivocally describes that Bee becomes the puppet of the Beggar not some other shadowy figure, coupled with the facts that he Fool has frequently expressed remorse about betraying Fitz and that he too clever not to acknowledge the potential consequences of going to Fitz even in the depths of his despair.

• 2 months later...

I had a question on Fool's Quest: The preface to chapter one is Fitz, having a Nighteyes dream. Problem is, he dreams that he had two siblings, a brother and a sister. In Royal Assassin, Nighteyes tells Fitz that he had two brothers; no mention of a sister. I guess this could be an editorial error, but I doubt it, especially as this is Nighteyes, a key character, and the dream opens the novel. What is going on?

Seems not significant, and most likely an editorial error.

That could be, but this is Nighteyes, who's pretty major, and it's the preface to the opening chapter so it's crucial placement. It's like Fitz having a dream from the Fool's pov where s/he has a brother and a sister, instead of two sisters.

I guess it's possible, as I can't think of any other explanation. ty!

That could be, but this is Nighteyes, who's pretty major, and it's the preface to the opening chapter so it's crucial placement. It's like Fitz having a dream from the Fool's pov where s/he has a brother and a sister, instead of two sisters.

I guess it's possible, as I can't think of any other explanation. ty!

In many languages a mixed gender group is denoted as male. The two brothers are in fact a borther and a sister when described individually.

In many languages a mixed gender group is denoted as male. The two brothers are in fact a borther and a sister when described individually.

It is denoted as male in many languages as far as the verb form is concerned. I doubt "two brothers" means "a brother and a sister", though (at least it does not in any of the languages I am familiar with).

It is denoted as male in many languages as far as the verb form is concerned. I doubt "two brothers" means "a brother and a sister", though (at least it does not in any of the languages I am familiar with).

Yeah. I think "two brothers" being a brother and a sister is stretching it. It could just be a part of Hobb's "gender doesn't matter," as it really doesn't, in this context. The two stories are different in other ways, though. Nighteyes in RA:

He remembered a den, and two brothers. A mother who brought him fish. And blood and smoke and his brothers and mother became smelly hides for the boot man. He was dragged out last and thrown into a cage...

In this story, Nighteyes is the only one who survives to be kept in the cage; his brothers and mother are killed immediately. In the dream, he and a brother survive; the mother is killed and skinned, but the killers are angry that the sister has died, as they wanted all three cubs, alive.

There are too many differences for this to be an editorial error. These sound like two different stories.

Archived