Exercise and Fitness - Because sitting on your ass all day long is boring ;)

baxus

Oh how I've missed the thread. Just found new one. I'm hitting a bit of a wall. But mostly just with my schedule. I was at about 100 hrs a week through this month at work. Now I'm on vacation.

I'm still staying below what I estimate my basal metobalic rate to be, and running consistently. But, I haven't made much time at all for any strength training. Or any of the body weight circuit training I was doing.

I really feel like any upper body or core strength I was hoping to gain has just kind of stagnated. I agreed to run 2 Spartan races in September, and I feel like I've been very inadequate in my training regimen. I'm just gonna do what I can, and do my best come race day.

I don't think you are going to have much luck gaining strength while eating less than your BMR.

You just have to lift heavy, make sure you're getting the right balance of carbs (200-300g), and ensure you're getting 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.  Definitely doable, but takes a lot more work than a simple cut/bulk cycle.

I was going to point out that unless you're already pretty lean or strong, it's perfectly feasible to run a deficit and still gain in strength.

Absolutely.

My son and I are doing a 5k mud run today.  He thought mine looked like fun, and wanted to do one as well.  Found one by the Y in Harrisburg that is family friendly (at least since they say "children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult" I assume kids under 12 can do the obstacles).  I'm actually pretty excited even though we haven't trained for it at all :lol: (he's a small 13, so I didn't want anything like a tough mudder or Spartan Run).  I am hoping he will want to keep doing these and that will encourage him to workout more

I'd like to say it was a great run, but it really wasn't :lol:  

First issue was it was a trail run with lots of really steep hills.  YUK! 

There weren't many obstacles so a lot more distance between them.

My son did the same thing he did the few times we did go to the gym to train for this:  ran real fast and quickly got tired.  He kept telling me I was slow, but on the second half, I was the one still able to run, but he could barely walk. (part of the problem was he was wearing old shoes that were a little tight and felt even worse once they got wet)  We did walk a great deal of it...at his pace.  Took almost twice as long to do as the one I did on my own.

But it was fun and we got plenty muddy.  My son liked it and wants to do it again, provided it is a flat course ;)

I was going to point out that unless you're already pretty lean or strong, it's perfectly feasible to run a deficit and still gain in strength.

Sure, but less than BMR is a big deficit. In general I wouldn't really recommend it at all, and especially not if actively trying to make strength gains. But if it works for an individual, then great! :) Just offering advice.

For what it's worth, my BMR seems WAY TOO HIGH. To be clear I eat ~1500-2300 cal/day. Any calc I've done, or info from apps I use tells me to get between 2660 and 3500! So on days that I take in 23-25k cal, its a day that I ran at least 5 miles.

Lany- that's awesome you and your son ran and finished! I'm hoping to do one soon with my oldest. He's 8. I did get a nice walk with all 3 of my kids that can walk while on first week of vacation! That was definitely my highlight of the week.

Great job, Lany!

For what it's worth, my BMR seems WAY TOO HIGH. To be clear I eat ~1500-2300 cal/day. Any calc I've done, or info from apps I use tells me to get between 2660 and 3500! So on days that I take in 23-25k cal, its a day that I ran at least 5 miles.

That does seem rather high BMR.  :shocked:

How much do you weigh?

The last time I took my medical I was at 78kg with 13.7% body fat and my BMR was 1800-1900kcal (it's kcal, not cal).

3500kcal BMR would mean you're at 130kgs at least and with low body fat percentage.

MitF - BMR well above 2,000kcal sounds strange unless you are training for a marathon or similar.

I'm back!  Last night was my first return to the gym after 12 days off with that stupid ear infection.  It was a bit difficult to return: the habit had lapsed and I felt some trepidation about losing ground and struggling for a while.  But I forced myself to go and I was amazed that I did a full work out at the pre-illness level.  I can't believe I did not lose any ground at all.  I ran two miles at the usual fast pace and then did chest press, cable rows, pull-ups and finished with some arms and sit-ups.  I did the same weights and reps throughout and even felt a bit stronger on the pull-ups.  I felt great afterward.

The only downside is that despite finishing relatively early (11pm), I couldn't fall asleep until after 2am.  I guess my body forgot how to handle the adrenaline.

Not much muscle stiffness today although that might arrive tomorrow.

First session back on the mat training BJJ since my rib injury. Ribs held up fine, absolutely no problems there.

Unfortunately, I did something to my big toe joint and now can't put much weight on my left foot whilst walking. This happened literally 30 seconds into my first training session after a two month layoff.

Fuck.

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed with this sport. I can't remember the last time I had a session without some sort of injury, whether major or minor. I'm not sure how much more of it my body can take.

Liffguard-so sorry dude.

IK, Welcome back. I get bad ear infections swimming too.

Using mifflin-st jeor* calculator I should take in 1980 calories per day. That seems pretty reasonable. I am 6'1", 214 lbs., I estimate 30% body fat. I'm not sure how to figure out kcal. With so much body fat to lose, so I'm not too worried about the days I eat very little. I know I'll lose muscle. But I am not trying to get big, and my muscle memory has been good to me when I do focus on weight training. I just want to be really strong and really fast for me and my body. And really, I am the strongest and fastest I've ever been in my life. It feels good. I want to be better.

Really? 2000kcals isn't a lot of food.

I may be off my mark here but isn't basal metabolic rate a measure of how much kcals you need to compensate for the energy spent to perform your basic metabolic functions?

That would not include running, lifting, swimming, walking or any other type of physical activity.

My recommended calorie intake is close to 3,000kcals, but my BMR is 1,800-1,900kcals.

There's quite a difference between the two.

I may be off my mark here but isn't basal metabolic rate a measure of how much kcals you need to compensate for the energy spent to perform your basic metabolic functions?
That would not include running, lifting, swimming, walking or any other type of physical activity.

My recommended calorie intake is close to 3,000kcals, but my BMR is 1,800-1,900kcals.
There's quite a difference between the two.

Yeah you're right but it seems like people in this thread are using it to decide how many calories they should be eating which is wayyyyy off Base if you don't factor in the stuff you mentioned.

ETA I may just have been reading posts wrong though hah. It's been a tiring week.

Another workout last night. Some muscle stiffness was creeping in yesterday evening so I pushed myself to go back to the gym.

I rowed 5km in a relatively slow 23:12 but it did a good job of loosening me up. Then I did leg weights. Squats felt good at the lower weights but I only did ~70% of full depth at 250lbs and probably only 50% at 290lbs, but still 8!reps on each. I can accept that. I'll work back to my prior level. I did extra sets at 200lbs after the heavy sets. Leg lift and let curl felt sorer than usual, either because I had to work really hard for the squats or because I had a lot of lactic acid after the run the day before. Probably both, they're not unrelated.

Still, I feel good to be active again. The next few days will be tricky with evening commitments and then work travel, but I'll try to get another workout before the weekend.

Worked out nearly every day last week on my staycation.  It was great!  Over the weekend I went to an outdoor/camping wedding and ended up riding bikes for roughly 5-7 hours.  Burned off all that scotch :)  Weighed myself yesterday and I'm now down to 195, which is the lowest I've been in about 10 years.  My brand new pants I bought are now 1-2" too big, and the belt I got can now easily get to the last notch.  Feel like I'm really making strides now, using the weekdays to keep myself in a good rhythm, then use the weekends to get one workout in and carb load to get the metabolism up again.  Losing 1-2 lbs a week for the last 2 months now!

Archived