MLB 2015: Royals, Jays, Astros... What?!

Myshkin

You're forgetting Noah Syndergaard and Jung-Ho Kang. Really good rookie class this year (add Schwarber to the list, though he doesn't have enough ABs to be in the ROY race), but right now I think it's between Bryant and Syndergaard.

I can't see Snydergaard winning it.  It's not that pitchers never win ROY.  It just seems like when they do, it's kind of a take-the-league-by-storm thing (i.e., Jose Fernandez, Kimbrel, Dontrelle Willis) rather than solid-numbers-for-rookie-pitcher (i.e., Scott Williamson).  Snydergaard feels more like the latter to me which won't cut it this year given how good the rookie class is. 

Kang is a factor for sure too, but I wonder if being an older guy would hurt him in the voting if it's an all-else-being-equal situation with him and one of the other guys.

What all of the guys mentioned have in common is that their teams are doing well too.

Tulo comes through with the big hit in the 9th as the Mighty Blue Jays surge a full game ahead of the Pinstripes, raising their record in 1 run games to ~ 12-24. If luck is normalizing, everyone duck.

That said, a weird thing. David Price today goes up against the Rangers, who seem to own him. What's odd is that, for a great pitcher, it seems like every start he's had for the MBJs has been in the face of either recent or overall bad numbers against said team. How can such a great pitcher keep coming up against teams who have hit him so well? Is it just an illusion of my own, are the media outlets trying to build drama, or is it just a fluke of synchronicity?

The MBJ's have now scored 99 runs more than the 2nd highest scoring offence, and by a few metrics have the best mlb offence of this century. You'd think that would make for a happy work environment, but you'd be wrong.

http://t.thestar.com/#/article/sports/bluejays/2015/08/26/blue-jays-jose-bautista-boycotting-sportsnet.html

Slugger Jose Bautista is boycotting interviews with Sportsnet..owned by the Blue Jays parent company...because earlier in the season the organization asked rookie Devon Travis to do a segment with sponsor men's clothier Gostyle, trying on various suits before choosing one...and then stuck him with the $5000 bill. Bautista won't talk to Sportsnet until Travis is reimbursed or at least given a Gostyle coupon for the cost.

I liked when Encarnacion thought he hit a little pop-up today but it was really a crushed grand slam. I feel that the MBJ's will never lose again and the Yanks will never score more than 2 runs in a game ever again. My confidence is shaken, August can't end soon enough.

I liked when Encarnacion thought he hit a little pop-up today but it was really a crushed grand slam. I feel that the MBJ's will never lose again and the Yanks will never score more than 2 runs in a game ever again. My confidence is shaken, August can't end soon enough.

1) yeah, that looked weird. Well back beyond the deepest part of the park with no real wind, and he didn't seem to think he'd gotten all of it.

2) the amazing thing about all the Jays winning is that they've come almost entirely against good teams on hot streaks. Something like 6 straight series vs. playoff ( at time of series commencement) teams. I honestly don't know what to make of them; everything from wheels coming off total collapse to cruising to a 3rd title seem well within the range.

I don't really trust their rotation, but the offence, defence and pen are pretty damn good.

I'm not super familiar with the AL but it seems like while there are some great pitchers there are no powerhouse pitching staffs like the NL has, and this is especially seems to be the case in the AL East. I wonder how much that has allowed the Blue Jays' offense to shine, and how it will do against usually more potent rotations in the playoffs. I remember when they played the Mets they were held in check by Harvey & Thor but then beat up on the back of the rotation (Colon & Niese) the next two games.

I'm not super familiar with the AL but it seems like while there are some great pitchers there are no powerhouse pitching staffs like the NL has, and this is especially seems to be the case in the AL East. I wonder how much that has allowed the Blue Jays' offense to shine, and how it will do against usually more potent rotations in the playoffs. I remember when they played the Mets they were held in check by Harvey & Thor but then beat up on the back of the rotation (Colon & Niese) the next two games.

Isn't it usually considered to be the opposite - ie that NL offenses are worse (because of the pitcher hitting) and consequently NL pitchers' stats look gaudier than equivalent AL pitchers'?

And lovable too!

Isn't it usually considered to be the opposite - ie that NL offenses are worse (because of the pitcher hitting) and consequently NL pitchers' stats look gaudier than equivalent AL pitchers'?

For league aggregate stats I think that's generally true over time, but for a particular year we can look and see which teams' rotations are the real deal.

For a team that was supposed to be in a building year, I'm quite surprised that the Twins have even a slight chance of making the playoffs.  Going to the game tonight and they've won something like 6 of their last 7.  Should be fun!

just wanted to let you all know: myshkin's best friend and my genetically modified clone clayton kkkkkkkkkkkkkershaw (number of k's represent number of strikeouts by the end of the 7th inning) is just laying fucking waste to the pretenders that are the chicago cubs. 

he is monstrous. he is beautiful. 

just wanted to let you all know: myshkin's best friend and my genetically modified clone clayton kkkkkkkkkkkkkershaw (number of k's represent number of strikeouts by the end of the 7th inning) is just laying fucking waste to the pretenders that are the chicago cubs. 

he is monstrous. he is beautiful. 

And also only 1-1 against the Cubs this year. So he's not that scary. Really really good. Just not that scary.

Archived