The War of the Five Chapters - SOON: A Clash of Kings [spoilers for all books]

ViniciusMJ

Arya V (Ned's execution) vs Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North)
-
Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys
talking)
vs Prologue (Waymar Royce fights the Other and turns into a wight)
-
Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death) vs Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"])
-
Tyrion IX (Tywin sends Tyrion to KL to be
Hand) vs Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh;
Hound tells her about his face)

-
Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon) vs Daenerys X (birth of dragons)

Arya V (Ned's execution) vs Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North)

Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking) vs Prologue (Waymar Royce fights the Other and turns into a wight)

Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death) vs Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"])

Tyrion IX (Tywin sends Tyrion to KL to be Hand) vs Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face)

Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon) vs Daenerys X (birth of dragons)

Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking) vs Prologue (Waymar Royce fights the Other and turns into a wight)

Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death) vs 
Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"])

Tyrion IX (Tywin sends Tyrion to KL to be Hand) vs Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face)

Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking) vs Prologue (Waymar Royce fights the Other and turns into a wight)

Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death) vs Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"])

WINNERS FOR “A GAME OF THRONES” – SEMIFINALS

Arya V vs Catelyn XI

(1 x 6)

Arya III vs Prologue

(4 x 3)

Bran VII vs Bran IV

(4 x 3)

Tyrion IX vs Sansa II

(3 x 4)

Eddard XV vs Daenerys X

(0 x 7)

[spoiler]

Rajam: Catelyn XI, Arya III, Bran IV, Sansa II, Daenerys X

Lil’ghost: Arya V, Arya III, Bran IV, Sansa II, Daenerys X

Annara Snow: Catelyn XI, Prologue, Bran VII, Sansa II, Daenerys X

Cashless: Catelyn XI, Prologue, Bran VII, Tyrion IX, Daenerys X

Criston: Catelyn XI, Arya III, Bran VII, Tyrion IX, Daenerys X

The Wolf: Catelyn XI, Arya III, Bran IV, Tyrion IX, Daenerys X

Yomi: Catelyn XI, Prologue, Bran VII, Sansa II, Daenerys X[/spoiler]

VOTE NOW FOR THE BEST CHAPTER OF A GAME OF THRONES

Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North)

Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking)

Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)

Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face)

Daenerys X (birth of dragons)

VOTES UNTIL SEPTEMBER 9th, 11 AM PST

(it would be nice if every voter talked a little about his/her decision now in the finals)

Predictably, I'm voting for Daenerys X

For the record, I'd rank the other 4:

2. Sansa II

3. Catelyn XI

4. Bran VII

5. Arya III

Daenerys X is not my favorite chapter in the book - that would probably be Daenerys IX, the previous chapter, but the two of them together make up what's probably my favorite part of AGOT. Although Ned's chapters are, taken as a whole, the highlight of the book (and how odd that none of them made it into the finals!), and I have issues with earlier parts of Dany's AGOT storyline, the last few chapters of her AGOT story are brilliant and stronger than anything else in the book. Although this may be partly because I had been spoiled about Ned's death before starting the series, but, although I expected Drogo to die in book 1 (I knew already that there was a show and that Jason Momoa played Drogo but was not in season 2), everything that went down and the way it happened was really shocking  and tragic and made Dany's penultimate chapter devastating to read, and in the same time, it was so morally complex, with Mirri being sympathetic and even justified in a way, and the terrible outcome was not something that Dany deserved, but logically grew out of her ambiguous status as former victim and someone who tried to help other victims but who was also a Dothraki khaleesi, married to someone whose livelihood was about killing, raping, looting and enslaving, and who was on the campaign to reclaim her father's throne for her. Still, it was not a situation Dany could help being in, and she did her best, and after following her for an entire book and caring for her, it would have been really unsatisfying if she didn't get something good, some kind of power and strength and hope at the end of it all. The last chapter of the book, coming right after this tragedy, was incredible - emotional, mysterious, magical, tragic and triumphant, and highly symbolic; Dany's role of wife to a powerful man and mother of his child, her opportunity to use a powerful husband as "shield against the world", had to die, to a new Dany would be born, a powerful queen in her own right, one who could still be compassionate and idealistic but also ruthless and violent to her enemies. Even GRRM's ploy of hiding Dany's intentions from the reader worked really well. It's an amazing way to end the book.

Daenerys X is not my favorite chapter in the book - that would probably be Daenerys IX, the previous chapter, but the two of them together make up what's probably my favorite part of AGOT.

Daenerys IX lost in the first round to Bran VII, which made the finals. That is, it was a probable favorite down the way but got a bad draw.

Although Ned's chapters are, taken as a whole, the highlight of the book (and how odd that none of them made it into the finals!)

A Game of Thrones is Ned's story. It is his arc that drives us and it is his death that makes us finally understand for real what GRRM is trying to do. But his 15 chapters may be individually overlooked when compared to others. It is something I think probably can happen again when we get to other powerful arcs, like Theon's in ADwD and Davos in ACoK.

1) Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North)
-
2) Daenerys X (birth of dragons)
-
3) Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)
-
4) Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face)
-
5) Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking)
---------------------------------------------------------
Not my personal top five (although Dany and Cat's chapters are). I like the chapters because of where it leaves us for the next book. Cat's wins because I'm more invested in that storyline and easier to speculate where there story can go from there; whereas with Dany there were a whole load of question marks as to what's going to happen.

4th: Catelyn XI
I find Catelyn chapters very entertaining to read, and this one is one of the best. Although Robb being declared king-in-the-north is hype, not much else happens in this chapter.

3rd: Sansa II
Entertaining chapter. Tournaments and competitions in general are my hobbies so I enjoyed reading the joust. Meeting Gregor Clegane for the first time is also a plus. Other than that, this chapters lacks plots and more significant events.

2nd: Daenerys X
Dragons are amazing, but I think they're a bit overrated. Their birth, although necessary for the history, came as a little predictable too. Still, one of the best chapters around hands down.

1st: Arya III
For me this chapter is one of the reasons of why ASOIAF is so damn good. The descriptions of the Red Keep are keen, entertaining, and puts the reader in the place of the events. And then, the conversation between Varys and Illyrio... the main reason (at least for me) of why ASOIAF is a huge success is because of all the diverse plots and confabulations around, sum to that all the intrigue around Varys' motivations for his actions, and you have one of those chapters that makes you wonder, thinking and thinking over and over again, trying to foresight what will happen next, and even today it's like you can't put all the pieces together. This is Martin at his best.

This is the thing with democracy and games in general; sometimes our favorite doesn't make it. My favorite (Tyrion V) lost to Sansa II at the first round.

yep, Roose Bolton also lost in 1st round in the popularity contest

Archived