Round 1, Part 1
Round 1, Part 2
Round 1, Part 3

Round 2

Round 3

Semifinals

Final

Daenerys X is the first champion!

The full plan for this great contest is below.

Inspired by Rajam's Popularity Contest (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/131554-asoiaf-popularity-contest-arya-stark-wins/), I thought: what about we decide, in a knockout way, which is the best chapter in each book published till date and then decide among the five which one is the better?

I ask you if you want this game before putting it together, because it will take some effort.

My plan is something like this, to account for all chapters:

AGoT: 72 chapters + Prologue 

Randomly I assemble 9 groups with 8 chapters each, leaving the Prologue outside for a while. The winner of each group joins the final stage, with the Prologue, remaining 10 chapters. Then another knockout between them and the winners go to the final. Five chapters together. If one manages to get 50% or more of the votes, he is the champion of AGoT. If not, the two best-voted dispute a final run-off.

ACoK: 69 chapters + Prologue

Randomly I assemble 9 groups, 7 of them with 8 chapters each and 2 remaining with 7 chapters each (in these 2 groups, I will randomly select one chapter to wait for the group's semifinals). In the final rounds, the 9 winners of each group will form 3 new groups with 3 chapters each, and then the same rules above for AGoT apply. The 3 winners of the new groups will be put together to duel for the crown in the same way.

ASoS: 80 chapters + Prologue + Epilogue

Randomly I assemble 10 groups of 8 chapters each (Prologue and Epilogue remain outside). The 10 winners of the groups join Prologue and Epilogue (12 chapters remain). These 12 chapters duel each other till there's only 3 left, and then the same rules for ACoK apply.

AFfC: 45 chapters + Prologue

Randomly I assemble 6 groups, 4 with 8 chapters and 2 with 7 chapters (in these 2 groups, I will randomly select one chapter to wait for the group's semifinals). The 6 chapters that win their groups will then be reassembled in two groups of 3 chapters each, and then the same rules for ACoK apply. The winners of these 2 groups dispute the final round.

ADwD: 71 chapters + Prologue + Epilogue

The same rules for AGoT, except in this case the Epilogue leaves the battle in the beginning, while the Prologue will be counted as a regular chapter.

Too confusing? Perhaps, but I think it will make a fine game. I do not vote, but eventual ties will be settled by me. 48 hours to vote.

If you think it is a good idea or have some suggestions to turn this game better, I am all ears. Any doubts, I will explain.

Yes, this could be fun.

My only suggestion would be to make sure that chapters from the same POV don't square off too early, so I would suggest instead of a random draw to put as few chapters from the same POV as possible into the same group, e.g. with Eddard in aGoT there are 15 chapters, that would mean 6 groups have 2 Ned-chapters each, 3 groups have only 1 Ned-chapter each, and the same for the other POVs.

I think 48 hours is a bit short, maybe 72 would be ok?

Yes, this could be fun.

My only suggestion would be to make sure that chapters from the same POV don't square off too early, so I would suggest instead of a random draw to put as few chapters from the same POV as possible into the same group, e.g. with Eddard in aGoT there are 15 chapters, that would mean 6 groups have 2 Ned-chapters each, 3 groups have only 1 Ned-chapter each, and the same for the other POVs.

I think 48 hours is a bit short, maybe 72 would be ok?

Good suggestion. I could draw normally and then correct the groups for any anomalies.

72 hours is better for voting, I think. But the game will be longer.

Like Zizoz said, it would be an interesting way to reread some of the chapters. Thinking this way, I decided to leave more time for the voting (72 hours instead of the former 48 planned, like suggested by Criston). I will use the Pacific Standard Time as standard, although I am currently in Brazil. In the next hour (9 AM PST) I will announce the first 12 duels of AGoT and then people will be able to vote till August 22nd, 9 AM PST.

Be ready! :D

“A GAME OF THRONES” – WAR OF THE CHAPTERS - GROUPS

GROUP A

Eddard II , Eddard IX , Daenerys X , Catelyn VIII , Tyrion III , Jon III , Arya IV , Sansa III

GROUP B

Eddard IV , Eddard XIII , Daenerys VI , Catelyn II , Tyrion VI , Jon II , Bran IV , Sansa IV

GROUP C

Eddard XII , Eddard XIV , Daenerys IV , Catelyn IX , Tyrion IV , Jon VII , Bran VI , Arya V

GROUP D

Eddard VIII , Eddard XV , Daenerys VII , Catelyn VII , Tyrion II , Jon VI , Arya I , Sansa VI

GROUP E

Eddard XI , Eddard III , Daenerys II , Catelyn V , Tyrion IX , Jon I , Sansa I , Bran II

GROUP F

Eddard X , Eddard V , Daenerys V , Catelyn III , Tyrion I , Jon VIII , Bran I , Arya III

GROUP G

Eddard VII , Daenerys VIII , Catelyn IV , Catelyn VI , Tyrion V , Jon IX , Sansa II , Bran V

GROUP H

Eddard VI , Daenerys III , Catelyn I , Catelyn XI , Tyrion VIII , Jon IV , Sansa V , Bran III

GROUP I

Eddard I , Daenerys IX , Daenerys I , Catelyn X , Tyrion VII , Jon V , Arya II , Bran VII

MATCHES FOR “A GAME OF THRONES” – ROUND 1, PART 1

GROUP A

Sansa III (Ned tells Sansa and Arya are going to leave KL) vs Daenerys X (birth of dragons)

Jon III (Donal Noye saves and counsels Jon) vs Catelyn VIII (Cat and Blackfish join Robb and his army)

Tyrion III (Mormont asks for help to the NW; Jon asks Tyrion to help Bran) vs Eddard IX (Jaime confronts Ned in front of Chataya's brothel)

Eddard II (Robert and Ned discuss backstory and Targaryens in the kingsroad) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)

GROUP B

Catelyn II (letter from Lysa blaming the Lannisters) vs Sansa IV (Cersei makes Sansa write the letters to Robb and Cat)

Jon II (Jon leaves Winterfell and gives Needle to Arya) vs Eddard XIII (mortally wounded, Robert names Ned as Regent)

Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"]) vs Daenerys VI (Dany suffers an attempted murder)

Tyrion VI (Tyrion and Bronn meet the Stone Crows) vs Eddard IV (Ned meets the small council and then Cat in KL)

GROUP C

Eddard XIV (Littlefinger's betrayal) vs Arya V (Ned's execution)

Tyrion IV (mountain clans attack Cat's group) vs Catelyn IX (negotiation with Walder Frey)

Bran VI (Robb marches south) vs Jon VII (Jon kills the wight in Mormont's room)

Daenerys IV (Dany hits Viserys) vs Eddard XII (Ned know the secret and tells Cersei to leave KL)

Vote until August 22nd, 9AM PST

GROUP A

Sansa III (Ned tells Sansa and Arya are going to leave KL) vs Daenerys X (birth of dragons)

Jon III (Donal Noye saves and counsels Jon) vs Catelyn VIII (Cat and Blackfish join Robb and his army)

Tyrion III (Mormont asks for help to the NW; Jon asks Tyrion to help Bran) vs Eddard IX (Jaime confronts Ned in front of Chataya's brothel)

Eddard II (Robert and Ned discuss backstory and Targaryens in the kingsroad) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)

GROUP B

Catelyn II (letter from Lysa blaming the Lannisters) vs Sansa IV (Cersei makes Sansa write the letters to Robb and Cat)

Jon II (Jon leaves Winterfell and gives Needle to Arya) vs Eddard XIII (mortally wounded, Robert names Ned as Regent)

Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"]) vs Daenerys VI (Dany suffers an attempted murder)

Tyrion VI (Tyrion and Bronn meet the Stone Crows) vs Eddard IV (Ned meets the small council and then Cat in KL)

GROUP C

Tyrion IV (mountain clans attack Cat's group) vs Catelyn IX (negotiation with Walder Frey)

Daenerys IV (Dany hits Viserys) vs Eddard XII (Ned know the secret and tells Cersei to leave KL)

GROUP A

Eddard II (Robert and Ned discuss backstory and Targaryens in the kingsroad) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)   difficult choice, this one... I really liked Robert's and Ned's conversation, but the Arya chapter even a bit more...

GROUP B

Jon II (Jon leaves Winterfell and gives Needle to Arya) vs Eddard XIII (mortally wounded, Robert names Ned as Regent)    again, difficult, but ... stick them with the pointy end!

GROUP C

GROUP A

Eddard II (Robert and Ned discuss backstory and Targaryens in the kingsroad) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)     tough

GROUP B

GROUP C

GROUP A

GROUP B

GROUP C

GROUP A

Sansa III (Ned tells Sansa and Arya are going to leave KL) vs Daenerys X (birth of dragons) (though)

GROUP B

GROUP C

Eddard XIV (Littlefinger's betrayal) vs Arya V (Ned's execution) (ugh, both are sad :( )

GROUP A
Sansa III (Ned tells Sansa and Arya are
going to leave KL)
vs Daenerys X (birth of
dragons)
-
Jon III (Donal Noye saves and counsels Jon)
vs Catelyn VIII (Cat and Blackfish join Robb
and his army)

-
Tyrion III (Mormont asks for help to the
NW; Jon asks Tyrion to help Bran)
vs Eddard
IX (Jaime confronts Ned in front of
Chataya's brothel)
-
Eddard II (Robert and Ned discuss backstory
and Targaryens in the kingsroad)
vs Arya IV
(Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)
GROUP B
Catelyn II (letter from Lysa blaming the
Lannisters) vs Sansa IV (Cersei makes Sansa
write the letters to Robb and Cat)

-
Jon II (Jon leaves Winterfell and gives
Needle to Arya)
vs Eddard XIII (mortally
wounded, Robert names Ned as Regent)
-
Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples,
bastards and broken things"]) vs Daenerys