On the show, are Sansa and Jon destined for each other's arms?

A Ghost of Someone

Could someone simply explain why anyone gives this any credence? What possible connection beyond distant brother and sister do Jon and Sansa have?

The absence of connection is their connection.

At this point, assuming she survives and ends up with someone (neither of which is a given), it will likely be the Hound.

I can't see Sansa having any more interest in Pod, Ned, or other decent young ASOIAF men than Dany had in Quentyn, Asha had in Tristifer, or Catelyn had in Ned (initially). As Barristan said, young girls choose fire (passionate, dangerous, exciting) over mud (healing, nourishing) every time. That's another reason why I have difficulty buying Jon/Sansa, although he's got the whole charismatic leader and secret Targaryen thing going for him.

Pod and Ned are the type of guy--shy, good-natured--that women will be kicking themselves years later for not snatching them up immediately, but as teenage girls? No way. Sansa's no different.

Far be it from me to invoke agency, the dreaded "a" word, but it seems strange to matchmake for Jon and Sansa while ignoring what they want. Jon wants girls like Arya: strong, independent, fierce women of action. Sansa wants the Hound, who is not like Jon in the slightest.

Unless Sandor can keep his ferocity as needed and his rage being calmed, and he survives RS, I don't think he be the guy Sansa truly needs.

I hope she crosses paths with Ned Dayne to be honest.

The point is, she digs his ferocity. She wants Sandor to show her some world class jousting in the sack. It's all over the pages, and I think they are going there in the show, too. She'd be bored stiff with anyone else.

The problem is, if the Brother heals his rage as Sansa prayed for, Sandor will loose his ferocity, and in doing so if he defeats his ex-brother Sandor will also die, only other way and probably won't happen, Brienne or Jamie becomes her sworn swords.

The rage was about his brother. She prayed that he'd come to terms with what his brother did to him, so he could be Sandor again.

And he did, when he was dying on the Trident, he wasn't thinking, damn, wish I had killed my brother. He was thinking about the pretty little bird.

That's separate from the ferocity. The ferocity is about sex, that's all classic Beauty and the Beast, and GRRM uses it the same way.

And that's still there. That's what the story with Stranger is about. They tried to neuter him, and Stranger said nothing doing. There's a whole bunch of cool detail there saying Sandor still has his fighting spirit and he doesn't belong there.

This is her story, so we have to look at what she wants, and she wants Sandor, it's all over the pages. And he's her knight, if you will note, the show had her turn Brienne down.

They've planted so many hints in the show that he's coming back for her, they even had him say, ask her who came back for her. And there's so much more...

The rage was about his brother. She prayed that he'd come to terms with what his brother did to him, so he could be Sandor again.

And he did, when he was dying on the Trident, he wasn't thinking, damn, wish I had killed my brother. He was thinking about the pretty little bird.

That's separate from the ferocity. The ferocity is about sex, that's all classic Beauty and the Beast, and GRRM uses it the same way.

And that's still there. That's what the story with Stranger is about. They tried to neuter him, and Stranger said nothing doing. There's a whole bunch of cool detail there saying Sandor still has his fighting spirit and he doesn't belong there.

This is her story, so we have to look at what she wants, and she wants Sandor, it's all over the pages. And he's her knight, if you will note, the show had her turn Brienne down.

They've planted so many hints in the show that he's coming back for her, they even had him say, ask her who came back for her. And there's so much more...

I understand all that, but I do not believe his rage is just over his brother ( a good portion yes ), also the reason why she turn Brienne down was to save her and warn her that she (Brienne ) isn't safe ( straight from the script and Gwen's lips ).

I believe Sansa and Sandor will meet again, I just don't think he survives.

There's emphasis in a story, so let's ignore the massive amount of detail where she considers Sandor her knight in the books, and look at the show. Sandor has protected Sansa about a dozen times, including saving her life, and Brienne has not once...

There's emphasis in a story, so let's ignore the massive amount of detail where she considers Sandor her knight in the books, and look at the show. Sandor has protected Sansa about a dozen times, including saving her life, and Brienne has not once...

Not for lack of trying, and if Sansa refused ( for good reason ) Brienne is not at fault, and season six may change the not one.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying they will not be together because he will die for her.

"A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he’ll look you straight in the face."

Sansa will learn of LF betrayal from Sandor before he dies.

Sansa doesn't want someone like Edric Dayne:

"When I wear my helm, the rain beats against the steel and gives me headaches," he complained. "But when I take it off, my hair gets soaked and sticks to my face and in my mouth."

He is writing the story, not the reader, he wrote this:

As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

I'm betting something good is ahead. Goodness knows she could use a little happiness. "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it." She was his "one happy memory" (a line they added). The director said they were spelling out what most readers knew, he was really talking about love. Rory did a great job conveying that. They also said there's much more to come with their relationship.

Also, this is an interesting shot, she's facing him, wearing his cloak, and we know the one marriage was tossed aside, and the other won't last, my guess is they may marry, and even have kids:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/832172c17347a2c9048cd47501e54928/tumblr_nac5mh2O5F1tbtttuo1_1280.png

I believe Sansa and Sandor will meet again, I just don't think he survives.

I agree. I'm not saying that Sansa's going to end up with him. I think there's a decent chance he and/or Sansa dies horribly before the end of the books. The outline, in which Sansa is little more than a footnote, strengthened my suspicion that Sansa's not making it out of the books alive. Even if they both survive the series, I'm not convinced that she'll necessarily end up with him. Given how much of her arc has revolved around romantic love and marriage, I could see the culmination of her development as a character being a conscious decision to turn her back on romantic love and marriage altogether. I think there might also be something to the theory that Arya and Sansa will wind up with the destiny that the other craved the most: Arya will get the loving marriage to a powerful man (maybe even a king) and kids, while Sansa winds up unattached, childless, and pursuing her own interests with no men in the picture. I'm just saying that IF she survives, IF the Hound survives, and IF she ends up with someone--and that's a lot of "ifs"--I expect it will be the Hound.

I'm betting something good is ahead. Goodness knows she could use a little happiness.

Eh. That's not much of an argument. Catelyn could have gone without seeing her son brutally murdered before her eyes. Brienne could have gone without being mutilated by Biter. Jeyne could have gone without being raped multiple times and brutalized. And yet...ASOIAF isn't about characters getting good things because they deserve them. And really, if we do make Sansa's arc about what she "deserves," I can't see GRRM rewarding Sansa with a happy romantic ending after everything she did in AGOT out of romantic love and all the grief it caused. I expect that if she does have an affair with the Hound before the end of the books, it will likely be brief and it will end in horrific tragedy. That's how GRRM rolls.

She was his "one happy memory" (a line they added).

No. He claims that raping her ("taking" her and "fucking her bloody") would have been his "one happy memory." It's a delightfully twisted little line, but romantic? No.

The Lord of Light is not done with Sandor.....
I think we can take this as prophetic for Sandor's story: his death will involve fire and him acting despite his trauma. This is the only time a man can be brave.......
It is highly likely that his death will involve Sansa, sacrificing himself for her. But there is still a possiblility that Sansa and Sandor might find themselves on on different sides. And Sandor will not be on the side of evil this time. So he might die because of her, not for her.

The Lord of Light is not done with Sandor.....
I think we can take this as prophetic for Sandor's story: his death will involve fire and him acting despite his trauma. This is the only time a man can be brave.......
It is highly likely that his death will involve Sansa, sacrificing himself for her. But there is still a possiblility that Sansa and Sandor might find themselves on on different sides. And Sandor will not be on the side of evil this time. So he might die because of her, not for her.

It could well be all the Starks go evil, GRRM could do a complete role reversal.

If your asking me if I ship them , no I don't

If your asking me if it is wrong or taboo or illegal from a worldly perspective my answer is that it isn't, since it does and has happened historically.

If you're asking from a political or story sense, then I think it be a good option.

Ok, cool.  No argument here.

Bran and Rickon will not I guess.
......and I will always like Arya, no matter where she goes!

I don't think he will but Rickon Could turn evil, he is the most savage of the Stark boys, and the angrier.. That plus being under the care of a wilding.. Perhaps not a completely dark character, but at least a Dark/grey.. I'm saying he could, not that he will

A couple of things. Jon's death situation is very different then stonehearts or Beric's. Jons conscouisness probably didn't die like the others but instead took refuge within ghost. His soul or whatever didn't really die but instead has been temporarily displaced. His body could be preserved in the ice cells or when he burns his body could be rejuevanated like victarions hand.

I would bet its not going to happen but Sansa and Jon are becoming perfect for each other.

If they get over having thought of each other as half siblings then they could easily be attracted to each other.

Why Sansa could be attracted to Jon:

He is the knight from the songs that Sansa idealizes so much.

He is a King, Sansa has a thing for royalty/status

He is very much like her father the main male role model she was exposed to growing up after what she has been through this would make her feel safe.

She knows he is not cruel or insane.

If he  becomes king the starks are saved.

Why Jon could be attracted to Sansa:

She has matured greatly since she was a girl at winterfell. She has an inner strength and has kept her stark morals even after all that has happened to her.

She reminds him of the best time of his life, his days growing up at wintefell.

They are both damaged and have suffered.

He really likes red heads.

Now would JonxSansa disapoint some people, yes many people think Jon should get together with Dany. I think they would make a lovely couple But I think circumstances will have made them enemies by the time they meet. If R+L=J and it is known then he is a threat to her throne bastard or not. No way after all she's been through and her insistence the throne is hers is she going to give it up. Additionally she will probably be jaded from her experience with Faegon and might simply deny he is a Targaryean. Maybe one of her dragons bonds to him and doesn't listen to her anymore so she also feels jealous. Then Dance with Dragons 2.0. Jon v Dany. Who wins i don't know but whoever is left will be azor ahai.

A couple of things. Jon's death situation is very different then stonehearts or Beric's. Jons conscouisness probably didn't die like the others but instead took refuge within ghost. His soul or whatever didn't really die but instead has been temporarily displaced. His body could be preserved in the ice cells or when he burns his body could be rejuevanated like victarions hand.

I would bet its not going to happen but Sansa and Jon are becoming perfect for each other.

<snip>

For me, all this Jon and Sansa shipping is just like shipping Jon with Val. It's an attempt to thwart the inevitable Jon and Dany encounter.

The difference between these other Jon pairings and Jon with Dany is that the parallels between their stories have been there since the first book. Jon and Sansa, and Jon and Val just don't have the five books' worth of build-up from the beginning of the series.

And the parallels have been emphasized on the show. In every season, there have been back-to-back scenes focused on Jon and Dany that seem to speak to each other. We've all seen them.

I get that many viewers feel this is cliched. I trust GRRM to handle their meeting well in canon. I hope that D&D do a decent job with it on the show.

Archived