Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

Wonder if we'll get to see HIS direwolf? Shaggy then again have run off to join Sam, Gilly, Sam de Leon, and Ghost in Oldtown. 

I don't think so.  Shaggydog is leading his own pack of killer Unicorns.  You thought the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail was viscous?  Uh, those unicorns are mean!

I love Osha. I hope they don't mess her up. I hated the cat fight with Meera. And Bran had to break it up. That would NEVER have happened, and that would have been one of the things someone on the lookout for needlessly offending women in the scripts would have redlined.

Argh, I hated hat scene so much! What were they fighting about again? Who could do a better job at skinning a rabbit or something? :ack:

I love Osha. I hope they don't mess her up. I hated the cat fight with Meera. And Bran had to break it up. That would NEVER have happened, and that would have been one of the things someone on the lookout for needlessly offending women in the scripts would have redlined.

That's because strong empowered womenTM  fight each other over trivia, in Wosrteros.

Now Osha would be able to fight with Brienne. Or would it be Brienne being a jerk to Sansa?

Maybe both Brienne and Osha will have lost their clothes, because why not, and after Shireen's sacrifice melted all the snow, they'll fight naked in the sleet and mud.

Maybe both Brienne and Osha will have lost their clothes, because why not, and after Shireen's sacrifice melted all the snow, they'll fight naked in the sleet and mud.

I fear this is too classy for the show. And they need a man to command the fight, either way.

Cat fight in the mud! The sad thing is, Jaime and Brienne had a sexy fight in the mud ("fucking instead of fighting") that they didn't show. They just made it a straight sword fight, with Brienne SMASH SMASH SMASH!

I don't think so.  Shaggydog is leading his own pack of killer Unicorns.  You thought the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail was viscous?  Uh, those unicorns are mean!

I just had a vision of one of those nature shows, only it was about direwolves. And they were acting out all the compelling drama that the characters should be acting out, but they cut. Someone good to narrate it, and you've got a pretty good adaptation.

Also, make that just animals. All representing the characters. The animals tell the story. Here's the narrator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Wait, Rory is returning? Cleganebowl is back on? Sources please!

Also, I've come up with a theory which probably won't be very popular on here (still a rant so don't worry)

Season 5 of Game of Thrones failed not because of how much it diverted from the books, but because it didn't divert enough. Sounds crazy right? Let me explain. So much of the complaints on this thread stem from the show fucking up the adaption of characters. Sansa, Stannis, Brienne, Theon, Cersei, Margery and so on. These problems have always been here really - Sansa has always been inconsistent, Cersei is simply a wronged woman doing what's best for her children, Stannis is a religious nut ect. But this year the problem was compounded by the fact that much of AFFC and ADWD is about intense characterization; it would take a superfan of enormous proportions to claim that the latter two books of the series are as densely and carefully plotted as the first three. I don't say this in criticism, I'm just pointing out that in both tone and focus the series has evolved over time and to each his own which you may prefer.

But when it comes to adapting for TV, D and D had a problem. Two whole books of close characterization and thematic prep work on GRRM's part obviously wouldn't sit well with the men who think themes are for eighth grade book reports. To give them the benefit of the doubt, we also have to consider what makes Game of Thrones popular; TV is a business like any other. GOT is basically known for three things;  good actors, epic battle scenes and shocking moments which make people gasp, shout angrily at the tv and film their friends reactions to it. Obviously GOT will always have its stellar cast to prop it up, so where do they get the other two popular elements to get people to keep watching?

Hardhome is obviously the big battle of the season and even I consider it the sole highlight of an interminable ten episodes of television. It's also not included in the book (on page as it were) which is often cited as a reason  why the TV show does things better. In reality the visual medium of television simply makes battle scenes the flashiest part of an episode, so of course it's going to be well received. Tellingly, the best episode of the season is one in which the writing takes a back seat and the performances and spectacle (both of which are GOT's core appeals) are allowed to shine. Which is why Hardhome was flashy but hollow - the actual progression of the story was virtually non existent; a far cry from the genius of Blackwater. So in order to hit their "big battle" quota, D and D extrapolated a few lines from a letter in the book into a half hour zombiefest. Bingo - highest rated episode ever. Say what you like about D and D but as a cynical way of currying viewers after the dull first half of the season, this worked a treat.

It's the shocking elements where things really start to go wrong. As a staple of the show now, D and D seem incapable of not putting something unspeakable awful on the show, preferable several awful things, whether they make sense or not. Jeyne Poole being raped was altered to revolt the audience even more (a goal Bryan Cogman has outright admitted to) by replacing her with Sansa. Shireen being burned was brought forward from TWOW. Ser Barristan dying was simply made up. Cersei's walk of shame was robbed of introspection - she is now simply a wronged victim like many other women on the show. Jon Snow was stabbed on schedule, but without the build up, moral dilemma or common sense.

My point is this - there were two ways to do this season. The first was to be as faithful as possible to Martin's books. Not a lot of action, but a hell of a lot of examination of characters, building thematic bridges, establishing a calm before the storm of Winter. Not that the two books don't have set pieces - the seige of Riverrun, Brienne's showdown with the Bloody mummers, the hideous tension of the Winterfell murders and so on. Many will argue that this would be awful and others would argue that this is impossible. (For those wondering how to make a tv show based solely on characters alone, look no further than the BBC's Wolf Hall.)

But this would be a risk. Some people would say the show was boring now. HBO might get cold feet and pull the plug.

So the second way is to scrap almost all of AFFC and ADWD. A key part of GRRM's reasoning for writing the books is that he needed the children older, but that has happened naturally on the show. So do away with as much of the two books as possible and cut right to the meat of WOW. Hardhome could have been replaced with the chilling (and actually relevant to the plot) moment where the White Walkers take down the wall. Sansa can be fast tracked to marriage with Harry and be rid of him at the half way point, and nobody married Ramsay (circumnavigating the rape altogether). Stannis can look like less of an idiot than he did OTL.

I feel like the show needed to be more faithful or change more, because this season clearly didn't work. Unsullied complained about the pacing of the first half of the season, book readers complained about changes to the plot. Everybody complained about Sansa being raped.

But maybe that's the whole point of this show in microcosm -  the show runners are trapped between doing their own thing and trudging back to Martin whenever something controversial happens. "The show is the show and the books are the books" is the line everybody wheels out now and again, but for once, on reflection, I'm starting to wish that was genuinely true. 

Source is on the first page, and Cleganebowl makes no sense.

Cersei wins, why would they bring him back just to die. He's got a big price on his head for killing the Lannister men. He hasn't been set up to want to kill his brother (see the lines I quoted above). The Faith are religious extremists, why would he want anything to do with them, just because he broke his leg. His dying words were about "pretty" Sansa, they could have cut that, but instead they added she was his "happy memory" (and this was in addition to all the rest of the setup).

So they 1) wiped out the brother killing motivation (and it's the same in the books, he didn't say damn, never got to kill Gregor when he was dying, his priorities had shifted, that's what "the Hound is dead" was all about), 2) made it even more of a joke than in the books that he'd fight for the Faith, 3) put a price on his head, 4) gave him a compound fracture, not a simple break, that takes time to heal, 5) made it clear he loves Sansa... All so he could fight his brother and die? Do not get...

Archived