Zizek + Supplements - Recommendations?

Sci-2

I've seen a growing number of references to the philosopher Zizek, enough to make me interested in the man but a glance at his metaphysical considerations and writing makes me think I'll be in over my head in short order.

So basically just asking where to start, and who is a good supplement. If you think Zizek is trash, that's cool too, but y'know - just explain why.

thanks,

Sci

I'd definitely say go with the Sublime Object of Ideology.  It's not that complicated and he does a hell of a job explaining everything in understandable terms.  If you're a fan of Hitchcock, try Zizek's Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Lacan (But were Afraid to Ask Hitchcock).  I tried it but wasn't familiar enough with Hitchcock to really enjoy it.  Or you can just go straight to the Zizek Reader and pick and choose through it.

zurek, as in 'quantum darwinianism'?

yeah I guess so. All I know is from the comments in the latest Bakker blog post. I'm assuming that is also what sparked this thread from Sci.

*context appropriate Bakkake FTW!*

Thanks for the recs y'all - will begin with Sublime Object and see how far I get. :-)

yeah I guess so. All I know is from the comments in the latest Bakker blog post. I'm assuming that is also what sparked this thread from Sci.

*context appropriate Bakkake FTW!*

Actually I'd not read the comments of his latest post, but I recall Bakker mentioning Zizek in the past. He's also come up elsewhere, as Zizek does seem to enjoy writing about many, many things.

Seems like China Mieville is influenced by him as well.  Embassytown being foremost in mind.  To roughly sum up Zizek's view, our world is created by fetishisms (values we place on objects - sexy, wealthy,...etc.) and our ideology is built from that (see culture, tradition...etc)., so our actually reality is a construct (fake) of not just our experiences but the values and such that culture applies to each and every thing.  It all ties back in to Marx's commodity fetishism and money being aggregate labor........fuck it.    It's Friday and I'm going out for a drink.  

I'm interested because I've been binging on czech cinema lately and he did a criterion closet video where he talked about rosselinis history films which I also love. Funny he should come up in a Bakker context, I had no idea. [emoji14]

Archived