Best female fantasy writer

Calibandar

Of the women writing in this genre, whose work appeals the most to you?

Currently I have two favourites, Robin Hobb and JV Jones. How would you rank others?

Other writers I've read were McKillip ( disappointed by Book of Atrix Wolfe but still hope that RiddleMaster and Ombria in shadow will be as good as people say it is), Kate Elliott and Janny Wurts ( seriously disliked both because of the prose style). An author I'm thinking of trying is Lois Bujold.

I could not even make it through the first J V Jones book without wishing all the characters would just ride off a cliff and die. Very obvous cliched fantasy, did not like that at all.

There's a world of difference between Jones's first series and her second. I'd have to go with her or Hobb.

That said, I enjoyed Elliot's Jaran series. I've never tried anything else she's done.

Hambly is enjoyable.

Personally, I enjoy Wurts, but as a vote for "best", I'd go Mary Stewart, but how long since she's published?

Of "current" authors, I enjoy Ann Marston- formulaic, but elegant, yet not over-frilled prose, and that's a fine line to walk.

I've also enjoyed Fiona Paxton as a guilty pleasure, but again, I don't know if she's still working in the genre.

If you don't mind a bit of over-fixation on interpersonal, Weiss has done some decent work- Raistlin is hers, and say what you will of the Dragonlance books, he's a really well-done character- the villain that both is and isn't. Rather, the heroic villain. That's always refreshing.

Personally, I enjoy Wurts, but as a vote for "best", I'd go Mary Stewart, but how long since she's published?

I'd forgotten Stewart's magnificent Merlin trilogy because I hadn't counted it as Fantasy. But it's a phenomenal series and if included here, I would rank along Hobb as the best one.

As for Jones, I was definitly talking about her second series, Sword of Shadows, the third volume of which ( due in December next year!) I anxiously await.

Ursulla le Guinn for the Left hand of Darkness and Earthsea

plus

Mckillips Riddlemaster trilogy (only read two thirds though) and The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. amazing.

J.V.Jones and Hobb are all very impressive in their own way too.

How does GRRM pull off the hero going through hardship but still coming out strong?

Well, he doesn't make all of his heroes absolutely unlikeable and totally unsympathetic, for starters.

I like Hobb, I just wish her heroes weren't always so miserable. How does GRRM pull off the hero going through hardship but still coming out strong?

Jon came out pretty strong, and Arya, and, and,....Littlefinger!! Humiliated by Brandon, rejected by Cat, scorned by all Westeros, and look at him now! :cool:

As to Hobb, It feels like she dedicated herself to make her hero as pitiable as is humanly possible.

Some LeGuin. Mary Stewart's Arthurian trilogy. Robin McKinley (Sunshine was brilliant).

I could add Susan Cooper, JK Rowling, and some others, but many of those are aimed at the children/YA market.

Some LeGuin. Mary Stewart's Arthurian trilogy. Robin McKinley (Sunshine was brilliant).

I could add Susan Cooper, JK Rowling, and some others, but many of those are aimed at the children/YA market.

I really liked Louise Cooper, and Sarah Ash's prose is decent. But my favorite pony-tailed femme has got to be that Terry Goodkind chick. She's awesome.

A few...

Le Guin

Kelly Link

Susanna Clarke

Isabel Allende (yes, her books are of the Magic Realism strain of fantasy, so there! :P)

K.J. Bishop

Caitlin Sweet

And I could probably list a few others, but I'll stop there, although I'll add that Robin Hobb just doesn't appeal to me at all. *shrug*

Archived