NFL Preseason 2015: Packers looking for a good diagnosis and Cris Carter is looking for Lee Majors

Trebla

He had 85 receptions, 1100 yards and 10 TDs last year .... which apparently equals "effort concerns."  

Most of that was with Brandon Marshall across from him. You have to wonder that if Chicago really thought he was a true #1, why did they draft Kevin White #7 overall when they had SO many team needs, especially on defense. Now that White is down, you hear the Chicago media lamenting that they don't have anyone that can stretch the field. You don't hear that about Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson, that they can't stretch the field. Jeffrey is an outstanding go-up-and-get-it possession receiver and could be argued that he is a great #2.

If you wanna go purely by stats, then Golden Tate(99 catches 1,331 yards 13.4 avg, 4 TD's) might be the best receiver in the division. :p

If you wanna go purely by stats, then Golden Tate(99 catches 1,331 yards 13.4 avg, 4 TD's) might be the best receiver in the division. :P

Tate had a really good season and is a pretty good WR; I know you were only saying this to exaggerate the point of what constitutes the best WR in the divisions, but Tate was sort of seen as an underachiever in Seattle (but the system was not designed for great WR play) and went to Detroit as sort of "well-somebody-has-to-play-opposite-Megatron" and immediately made an impact on the season as Megatron's productivity (and health) declined sharply.  

Again, I know what you were saying, but I don't think Tate's productivity was a fluke; more like he was a round peg fitting into a round hole and he made the most of it.   

:rofl:

Watching the Titans-Rams thing and the commentators started talking about Todd Gurley. After a few moments, one of them asked his partner what he thought of Gurley and the guy responded (paraphrasing at the beginning) "I think he's a special player, after watching him in college, and the Rams think he's special. There's a reason he was the highest drafted RB since Adrian Peterson..."

:rofl:

I wish I could forget about Trent Richardson so easily.

I haven't been in the threads much yet, so maybe it has been discussed already...

Jace, I thought of you when I saw this tweet last week.

Most of that was with Brandon Marshall across from him. You have to wonder that if Chicago really thought he was a true #1, why did they draft Kevin White #7 overall when they had SO many team needs, especially on defense. Now that White is down, you hear the Chicago media lamenting that they don't have anyone that can stretch the field. You don't hear that about Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson, that they can't stretch the field. Jeffrey is an outstanding go-up-and-get-it possession receiver and could be argued that he is a great #2.

Marshall was also hobbled badly and missed some time last season, had a career low in receptions (beside his rookie season).  And I know you're just being contrary, but they drafted White because 1) it's an offense-driven league now.  Having one top WR is nice but having two is even better and 2) Their most glaring needs for defense were D-line and Safety (and CB because Kyle Fuller has bust written all over him) and neither of those positions had players available at 7 that wouldn't be a huge reach, although so far through two preseason games the D-line as it is has looked decent, secondary not so much.  3) Green Bay has proven that a great defense only slows down that offense, not really stops it.  It's more important to keep up with them than it is to try spend all your effort to stop them.  

If you wanna go purely by stats, then Golden Tate(99 catches 1,331 yards 13.4 avg, 4 TD's) might be the best receiver in the division.  :P

I don't think Jeffery is even in the conversation for best WR in the North, he's firmly #3 or 4, maybe even 5.  I just took offense at the "effort" accusation, which has dogged him since college despite being a top 10-15 type of WR the last two years.  

I haven't been in the threads much yet, so maybe it has been discussed already...

Jace, I thought of you when I saw this tweet last week.

Nice. I can't believe even the Raiders gave that joke a deal.

Meh. He's close to some pretty big benchmarks, so I'm glad he signed on somewhere. I'm not at all afraid of him, though. He's a #4 WR at this point.

Reread what you just said. 

Fair point.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13502999/john-harbaugh-baltimore-ravens-unhappy-philadelphia-eagles-criticism-terrell-suggs-hit-sam-bradford

John Harbuagh coming to the defense of Terrell Suggs character. LOL.  Ravens gonna raven.

He should lose his job, for the safety of his players. The Ravens coaching staff teaches their players to tackle below the knees with their heads down? That's how offensive players blow out their ACL's and it's how defensive players get a concussion from a knee to the head or worse break their fucking necks. If Harbaugh is teaching his players to hit unnecessarily low and spear, he has no place in the NFL.

Gods Andy dalton is disappointing.

I had an acquaintance the other day express surprise that Bridgewater was rated better than Dalton in some fantasy magazine.  I tried giving him a stock market analogy or something.  But seriously, the more Dalton plays the more his OK start to his career looks like the fluke. 

I'm curious to see whether Tannehill gets better.  He, I felt, got off to a better start in the league than I would have predicted but also hasn't improved much yet.

And the Cowboys just slid on down that NFC hierarchy: CB Orlando Scandrick out for the season with torn ACL. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/25/report-scandrick-out-for-season-with-torn-acl/

They better hope their first round pick, Byron Jones, is a quick study because that could mean Morris Claiborne becomes a starter. Gulp.

And the Cowboys just slid on down that NFC hierarchy: CB Orlando Scandrick out for the season with torn ACL. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/25/report-scandrick-out-for-season-with-torn-acl/

They better hope their first round pick, Byron Jones, is a quick study because that could mean Morris Claiborne becomes a starter. Gulp.

That really is terrible news, but I don't think losing Scandrick this year is going to be that much of a game changer. Not only is Byron Jones progressing, but the Cowboys have a couple of players that have been looking really good deep in the CB rotation. Both Corey White and Tyler Patmon saw some action last year, and by all reports have both grown by leaps and bounds this year. White has looked especially good against number 1s in the preseason so far. I guess that come from an off season of defending people like Dez.

Also, with what looks to be an incredibly solid rush this year, I think the defense can stand to lose someone in the secondary and still be substantially better than they were last year.

That really is terrible news, but I don't think losing Scandrick this year is going to be that much of a game changer. Not only is Byron Jones progressing, but the Cowboys have a couple of players that have been looking really good deep in the CB rotation. Both Corey White and Tyler Patmon saw some action last year, and by all reports have both grown by leaps and bounds this year. White has looked especially good against number 1s in the preseason so far. I guess that come from an off season of defending people like Dez.

Also, with what looks to be an incredibly solid rush this year, I think the defense can stand to lose someone in the secondary and still be substantially better than they were last year.

I dunno. He's not only their best corner, but he's also their best slot corner. The plan was he Carr started and then Jones came in to man the outside while Scandrick slid inside. There was even talk of using Jones at safety to play centerfield because their current safeties are average at best in coverage. I don't know who mans the slot now.

Yeah, they are REALLY going to have to get to the QB now. Potentially they can. I think the plan will be on passing down to have Greg Hardy slide inside at tackle (when he's available) next to Tyrone Crawford and have Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence rush from the outside. They have to hope Gregory is all he seems to be in camp and Lawrence keeps improving.

Mike Vick signs with the Steelers, let the soapboxing begin in the Burgh...

Hmm, I'm guessing that means Oklahoma alum and 3rd string QB Landry Jones is gonna get sent packing. Unless they ditch Gradkowski I guess.

Archived