NFL Preseason 2015: Packers looking for a good diagnosis and Cris Carter is looking for Lee Majors

Trebla

Also the average NFL salary dwarfs that of the major Rugby stars. So far the mystic of the All Blacks jersey has kept most of the top level talents in the local super 15 competition during their prime. Similar story for the NRL (the other code) . But many of the big names end up in Europe/Japan at the twilight of their career to earn "big" money. But the NFL salary is astronomical compared to what a player can make by playing Rugby. Hayne was one of the highest paid Rugby players, and his contract would have paid him about a million dollar per year.

I doubt it's gong to be too much of an issue. Unless you're a big star in the NFL the salary doesn't really dwarf what you'd get as one of the top players in rugby.

Hayne's currently taking a massive pay cut to have a go at getting on an NFL team, if he makes the team he's probably going to make something like the league minimum which is still a hefty pay cut and the terms of NFL contracts are pretty shit compared to what you'll get in rugby (rugby teams can't just offload you whenever they feel like it).

Basically unless players are willing to sacrifice a lot to follow a dream of playing in the NFL like Hayne it's not that appealing to take the risk of giving up a sport you know you're good at to gamble on making an NFL team.

I doubt it's gong to be too much of an issue. Unless you're a big star in the NFL the salary doesn't really dwarf what you'd get as one of the top players in rugby.
Hayne's currently taking a massive pay cut to have a go at getting on an NFL team, if he makes the team he's probably going to make something like the league minimum which is still a hefty pay cut and the terms of NFL contracts are pretty shit compared to what you'll get in rugby (rugby teams can't just offload you whenever they feel like it).
Basically unless players are willing to sacrifice a lot to follow a dream of playing in the NFL like Hayne it's not that appealing to take the risk of giving up a sport you know you're good at to gamble on making an NFL team.

The highest paid Rugby player in 2015 was Dan Carter earning 1.5 million dollar per year. Average NFL salary is 1.9 million dollar. Average earning for a super 14 rugby player is less than 150 thousand dollar. So, the NFL salary is more than10 times higher. The ratio seems to be the same whether you are competing top salaries or average salaries. Haynes is taking a pay cut because he is trying to break into NFL as a special teams player and he was one of the highest paid Rugby league player. But if you are a 14 year old Samoan kid who has the potential to play at the highest level of rugby or a football, why would he not at least think about the option that can potentially pay him 10 times more. Also the prospect of a football scholarship from a U.S. college must be quite tempting. Right now, neither the NFL nor the colleges are considering the rugby playing nations as a potential pipeline for top level talent. But that can change.

The highest paid Rugby player in 2015 was Dan Carter earning 1.5 million dollar per year. Average NFL salary is 1.9 million dollar. Average earning for a super 14 rugby player is less than 150 thousand dollar. So, the NFL salary is more than10 times higher. The ratio seems to be the same whether you are competing top salaries or average salaries. Haynes is taking a pay cut because he is trying to break into NFL as a special teams player and he was one of the highest paid Rugby league player. But if you are a 14 year old Samoan kid who has the potential to play at the highest level of rugby or a football, why would he not at least think about the option that can potentially pay him 10 times more. Also the prospect of a football scholarship from a U.S. college must be quite tempting. Right now, neither the NFL nor the colleges are considering the rugby playing nations as a potential pipeline for top level talent. But that can change.

People also forget that salary is only a portion of an athlete's total compensation. There are some projections that Hayne could make $10 million or more from endorsements.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/jarryd-hayne-nfl-former-eels-star-hayne-could-earn-12m-in-endorsement-deals/story-fnp3ipqj-1227497176032

Hayne is a Rugby League player though. You need to look at NRL salaries for comparison. If he does not make it in the NFL he can go back next season to the NRL and make a similar salary. 

The highest paid Rugby player in 2015 was Dan Carter earning 1.5 million dollar per year. Average NFL salary is 1.9 million dollar. Average earning for a super 14 rugby player is less than 150 thousand dollar. So, the NFL salary is more than10 times higher. The ratio seems to be the same whether you are competing top salaries or average salaries.

The average NFL salary isn't what a rugby player who's never played American football before and is trying out as an undrafted free agent with some natural ability is going to get though. Even if they make an NFL roster, which there's still a pretty good chance they won't, they're going to get the NFL minimum salary of $435,000 or something close for their first contract at least. That's probably going to be a pay cut, or at least not much of a pay rise, for a top level rugby player. That's not much of an incentive to take a massive gamble with your career on.

If you're a mid level professional rugby player you could make more money in the NFL but being midlevel they're less talented and as a result probably less likely to make it. Given there's a bigger risk involved for them again I'm not sure masses of players are going to be trying it out.

Also the prospect of a football scholarship from a U.S. college must be quite tempting. Right now, neither the NFL nor the colleges are considering the rugby playing nations as a potential pipeline for top level talent. But that can change.

Really? I genuinely don't see the appeal of being a college football player if you're talented enough to be a professional sportsman. Unless you really love the sport/don't really have options it actually sounds pretty shit to me.

The kind of really talented rugby players we're talking about will probably have been playing age group international rugby by the time they're old enough to go to uni and they'll probably be in a position to get professional contracts at 18/19/20. I don't see why you'd want to play college football for free in the US when you could just go to a university in New Zealand, Australia or the UK and get paid to play rugby while you do it.

The only time I'd see it being worth considering is if you're talking about one of the very, very top universities in the world like Harvard or something (do they even do sports scholarships?). Even then I'd probably want to see if I could get into somewhere like Cambridge or Oxford first and get paid to play for one of the London teams.

So basically, yeah, Hayne doing well might lead to some guys wanting to give it a go but I don't think it's worth worrying about a mass exodus of players from rugby seriously damaging the sport at this point.

That water bs is a troubling sign for Russell.  Makes me think he's a deeply inauthentic guy who's every move and word is all about a carefully crafted image. 

Also, not have sex with Ciara when you could doesn't make you holier-than-thou.  It makes you a fool. 

The Cowboys are just about to play the Vikings in the game that I hate the most. The 3rd week of the preseason where all of the starters stay in for a half. I just don't understand why teams still take the injury risks for this meaningless game. 

So it's been a rough week for Jay Gruden. Another RGIII controversy, people calling him fat and now John Harbaugh is sprinting across the field to scream at him after an on-field brawl

The only silver lining is a possible Harbaugh brothers vs. Gruden brothers tag team throw down. Who do I need to call at Pay-Per-View to make this happen?

Steelers are making the Bills offense look like the 07 Patriots out there. Manuel almost looks like he belongs in the NFL. And Fred Jackson is still the best 40 year old RB in the league 

Giving up 43 points to the Bills is amazing. That's like 4 games of offense for the average Bills team or the average Rex Ryan coached team.  Even Phil Simms' youngest son (Cletus Simms, I think?) was getting in on the action.

So Andy Dalton got hurt on a CALLED QB sneak and Randall Cobb is in the locker room with an apparent shoulder injury. Yeah, preseason sucks

eta: on the bright side, AJ McCarron is lighting it up.  Brent Musburger is somewhere approving.

Hey, Jay Gruden - You are fat and possibly a criminal.  We good now?

There's something in life that I call the Dick Morris rule.  The point of the Dick Morris rule is that if you go too far in being a revolting human being, you get your privileges revoked.   Jay is dangerously close to that. 

Terrible news about Cobb.  D. Adams shows lots of promise, and Rodgers is so good that GB will be productive regardless, but man...

Hey, Jay Gruden - You are fat and possibly a criminal.  We good now?

There's something in life that I call the Dick Morris rule.  The point of the Dick Morris rule is that if you go too far in being a revolting human being, you get your privileges revoked.   Jay is dangerously close to that. 

Terrible news about Cobb.  D. Adams shows lots of promise, and Rodgers is so good that GB will be productive regardless, but man...

Thank God we have such upstanding beacons of morality like John Harbaugh to enforce said rule. 

Not sure it's worth pointing out, but the Bears couldn't force a single incompletion by either Andy Dalton or AJ McCarron all half and the Packers couldn't force one by Sam Bradford either who went 10/10 with 3 TDs. Not sure how much defense we're going to see in the NFC North this year. 

Not sure it's worth pointing out, but the Bears couldn't force a single incompletion by either Andy Dalton or AJ McCarron all half and the Packers couldn't force one by Sam Bradford either who went 10/10 with 3 TDs. Not sure how much defense we're going to see in the NFC North this year. 

The Bears' secondary was already going to be a mess but now both their nose tackles (Ratliff and Goldman) are hurt and it's really hard to play a 3-4 without a NT. The Bears might be a candidate for the #1 pick next season. Maybe they need to go Cubs and completely bottom for a couple of seasons to rebuild the roster after years of bad drafting.

I grabbed a bunch of NFC North receivers in my money league for that very reason. After getting Dez Bryant in the first round, I got Golden Tate, Davante Adams, Charles Johnson and Mike Wallace.  

Packers give up 39 points (!) at halftime to the Eagles. Only preseason, sure....but this is the one half where starters actually play. 

I swear Chip Kelly is easy mode for QBs.

The Bears' secondary was already going to be a mess but now both their nose tackles (Ratliff and Goldman) are hurt and it's really hard to play a 3-4 without a NT. The Bears might be a candidate for the #1 pick next season. Maybe they need to go Cubs and completely bottom for a couple of seasons to rebuild the roster after years of bad drafting.

Yeah, actually, maybe. 49ers and Bucs seem like early favorites as well. 

Archived