How different will the Show and the Books be by the end.

Channel4s-JonSnow

Now the books and the show are starting to diverge quite heavily, season 5 was clearly the most different to the books and with GRRM not managing to get TWOW out before filming finishes on season 6 things can only diverge more.

But many people are assuming that whilst the endings of both will be similar, what happens in between will be wildly different, that whole characters will survive or die etc that don't in the books. 

Personally I think really the structure of both will remain rather similar. I'm guessing GRRM has at this point got a decent structure for his story, he probably knows the events that will occur and the characters who will live and die, its probably more a matter of fitting it all into a narrative and telling a good story from it, simply writing it.

Which means D&D have probably been given the same information with which to lay out their structure. 

I imagine GRRM and DD had a long conversation or a dozen and so they will end the same way and I think most character's journeys will be fairly similar, TV plot and time permitting. So I think Shireen will be burnt and Stannis will be killed in the books, and Jon will return or die in both books and show.

Considering seasons 1-3 and much of 4 are a very faithful adaptation, with only 5 being a real divergence, it is still probable that 6,7 and maybe 8 will be more faithful than not.

I think a thing that has already driven change and will continue to do so is character popularity stemming from the show only. We saw it with Bronn in Dorne, and more than likely with Varys in Meereen next season. How much changes to the secondary characters like these or say the killing off of Jojen will affect the overall plot remains to be seen, but it will probably be minimal.

I also think they will be relatively faithful. They are working together and talking and I would be amazed if the ending arcs of all major characers are not the same, however the show will no doubt merge characters and mess around with the timing as they did from Season 4 onwards.

It becomes an issue because of GRRM's "grower" style of writing. We've all seen the original script he sent to his publisher outlining what he had originally intended the series to be and that's very different from the material already published. After ASOS he decided to remove a jump in time - so if a tv show had been organized at some point prior to 2003, the tv show would have expected a five year gap.

He's been writing TWOW for four years already - do we think that every character arc (and death) is a lock at this point? Is he still in constant communication with D and D? The broad strokes of the story are unlikely to change, but there' still an enormous amount of wiggle room for everything else - it's just the way GRRM does things. With the show ploughing ahead, and having already changed so much even before running out of material, I'm predicting some dramatic diversions before the end.

It becomes an issue because of GRRM's "grower" style of writing. We've all seen the original script he sent to his publisher outlining what he had originally intended the series to be and that's very different from the material already published. After ASOS he decided to remove a jump in time - so if a tv show had been organized at some point prior to 2003, the tv show would have expected a five year gap.

He's been writing TWOW for four years already - do we think that every character arc (and death) is a lock at this point? Is he still in constant communication with D and D? The broad strokes of the story are unlikely to change, but there' still an enormous amount of wiggle room for everything else - it's just the way GRRM does things. With the show ploughing ahead, and having already changed so much even before running out of material, I'm predicting some dramatic diversions before the end.

I really believe the broad strokes of the plot arcs are probably laid out, or at least I bloody hope so. I'm also hoping that the level of divergence we got this season is roughly what we will get in the future, although it will probably be a bit more. The way season 5 was laid out seemed to be that there were a number of key events that needed to happen, but how we got to those key events was different. If it stays like that then I'll be reasonably happy.

By the time George gets around to finishing the books, they will in effect be an adaptation of the show.

Both mediums have the same goal in mind. D&D will have written, shot, and delivered a version. George will probably see it and decide to follow or diverge as his will desires. He will be adapting.

I really believe the broad strokes of the plot arcs are probably laid out, or at least I bloody hope so. I'm also hoping that the level of divergence we got this season is roughly what we will get in the future, although it will probably be a bit more. The way season 5 was laid out seemed to be that there were a number of key events that needed to happen, but how we got to those key events was different. If it stays like that then I'll be reasonably happy.

It comes down to how much communication there is between D and D and Martin. I can't say for sure one way or another that Martin's story has dramatically changed - presumably he has already worked out the prophecies because they require immense forethought to pay off, but other parts of the tale including the political moves are probably still in flux. 

Archived