What is one major character you would wager everything will be alive at the end of the story?

KingStannisFan

For a Certainty:

Theon - What Is Dead May Never Die is HIS character arc.  He will survive the whole thing or die in the afterword of ADOS.  GRRM didn't put him through all that just to be executed in his first TWOW chapter.  Ideally he will rule the Irion Islands w/ better, more stable relations w/ the Greenlands w/ Asha as his Hand, providing heirs (or his kid by the captain's daughter).

Bran - The first chapter was his and the last chapter will be his.

Maybe/Probably:

Sansa - She is going to be like the Queen Elizabeth of this story.  She'll make it through and reign for a long time, being highly influential on a new age of Westerosi history.

Rickon - He functions as the 'lost king returns' / last male Stark to continue the line.

I agree with this. But I'm also going to longshot Tyrion. One of the Lannisters should survive if only because the new world order will be a much less interesting place without them!

That is something the characters said but Jaime's entire arc has been about learning to live without Cersei and realising that she's not the person he thought she was, it would be ridiculous to than kill him off together with her and basically say "oh no, actually there was no arc whatsoever, they were right in the beginning, they die together"

My thought exactly! It's not foreshadowing, it's something they tell themselves to rationalize and justify their relationship and reinforce the idea that they are meant to be together. But yeah Jaime's whole arc is based on him realizing their fates are not tied

ETA: I think Jaime is a tragic character and will live til the end. If he doesn't then I think he will die sacrificing himself for someone else, ie Brienne or some innocent person in a last ditch effort to be the knight he had originally wanted to be

Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya and Bran.

He originally planned to keep them alive at the end so yeah, though I hope they mix it about and kill Jon off again (it's far too predictable if he and Dany marry and win the throne. I'd hate that so much. Jon deserves someone better than The Mad Queen) and hopefully Dany will die or at least I hope she never sits the Iron Throne

Bran, Sansa and Rickon. And I don't subscribe to the theory that Bran will turn into a tree. I think these three will all be reunited.

If I had to go for a minor character I'm betting on making it through the series, I'd go with Sandor. Consider me optimistic, but I think he and Sansa really can get their happy ending together.

Archived