Watch, Watched, Watching: Blame is safer than praise

Howdyphillip

Raja, I generally like things that are a bit dark/twisted, and humor is always a plus for me.  I also like dramas if they're good, as well as supernatural/horror type stuff.  I'm not picky.  I love The Walking Dead, am currently watching The Strain (which is a hoot; it's so bad) and loved Justified and Rectify, and The Returned (original series, not the remake).

P.S.  I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to know that Isis is watching The Strain and is going to unleash her diabolical wit on the thread.  Yippee!!!   :D

Ever tried Supernatural? It's definitely not for everyyone since it's a CW show, but it has a good story-line, some humor and lots of supernatural creatures. 

Season 1 is slow but it gets alooooot better after.

This. Imo it's 4 > 2 > 3 > 1, but 1 is appreciably worse than the rest. I am genuinely shocked you'd never heard about it prior to this board, it's really popular here (my limited social interactions :P).

There's also [i]Blackadder : Back and Forth[/i], which is probably the weakest of them all. There have been rumours of them making more, which I'm not convinced is a good idea.

The first season of Blackadder has some hilarious moments though. I don't know if you need a certain type of humour to get it? But for me, it's not as if it is funny in a totally different way to the other seasons. Maybe it is like when you listen to the most popular album by a group, then go back and listen to their earlier stuff - it takes longer for you to appreciate it because it is more diluted, less refined.

One thing I noticed going back to the first season (which I think was the last of them that I saw) was that it seemed a different interpretation of the Edmund Blackadder character to the later seasons - the first Blackadder was played as more of an idiot than the later Blackadders. I agree the first season does still have some good moments, even if it is the weakest of them.

There's also Blackadder : Back and Forth, which is probably the weakest of them all. There have been rumours of them making more, which I'm not convinced is a good idea.

One thing I noticed going back to the first season (which I think was the last of them that I saw) was that it seemed a different interpretation of the Edmund Blackadder character to the later seasons - the first Blackadder was played as more of an idiot than the later Blackadders. I agree the first season does still have some good moments, even if it is the weakest of them.

I have not seen Back and Forth, but there is the Christmas special too and it is fantastic.

Not only that, but Baldrick kind of goes from being the smart one to the dumb one I think.

Top of the Lake is one of my faves - it was awesome.  As is The Fall w/Gillian Anderson.

I will check out The Honorable Women and Penny Dreadful...thanks, Raja and Helena!   :)

Just reiterating but The Honourable Woman is a fantastic series. Totally worth your time if you like character driven thrillers.

I finished up Freaks & Geeks and now I'm disappointed that it got cancelled. I knew watching this would be a mistake. :(

Now I'm watching Hannibal and I'm in season 2. It's a beautiful show with some great acting and writing and directing, but the murderer of the week stuff is just absolute nonsense. Thankfully the show has largely moved beyond the procedural stuff and into more longform storytelling.

Man, season 4 of the wire was rather sad :(  - I watched the finale last night. I'm debating if I should start up with season 5 or watch Show Me A Hero. Decisions, Decisions. 

I liked most of Top of the lake - some of the last couple of episodes were slightly weak though. 

I've done it before, but I'll add my dissenting opinion again - I thought both Top of the Lake and The Honorable Woman were horrible. I watched the entire season of TotL which was good at times but the resolution of the "mystery" was laughable and the commune stuff took me out of every episode. It took me three tries to make it through the first episode of tHW, so I didn't even attempt episode two.

Finishing up Narcos (which has been awesome) then starting Mr.Robot

Wow, good luck. I find both of these shows to be exhausting, in a very good way, but I can't do that many episodes back to back. I've been slowly (for me) working through Narcos, and have one left. Any other show of that length on Netflix I would have probably finished on Sunday.

It took me three tries to make it through the first episode of tHW, so I didn't even attempt episode two.

Ah, you've got to give the show more than a single episode! - if you're not a fan of a slow burner political thriller, then it's clearly not for you. Agreed regarding Top of the Lake - I didn't enjoy the last couple of episodes, however, there was enough in that show to compensate for the less than satisfying ending. 

Ah, you've got to give the show more than a single episode! - if you're not a fan of a slow burner political thriller, then it's clearly not for you. 

I love a slow burn, Rectify is one of my favorites, but tHW was rough. And for me, one episode is enough when I have to watch it three times :p

Oh, this makes me very happy.  And I started watching Penny Dreadful last night and I already love it.  It's fantastic.

Yep - agree with everyone else. That was definitely the right choice of what to watch.

But once you're done with that, If you want really twisted, then Hemlock Grove awaits.

But once you're done with that, If you want really twisted, then Hemlock Grove awaits.

Since you mentioned it, and I know Theda will come along and say how much she loves it, I'll preemptively say it's crap (at least the first season, I can't believe I made it to the end, but I had no desire to watch season 2).

I just finished watching the latest Netflix Original, Narcos, which satisfied me very much.  We have been talking about it here in this forum.  It may not be for you, since you really liked Top of the Lake, which I did not.

The Honorable Woman was streaming on Netflix last month -- not certain if it still is now that we're in September.  For some reason it didn't work that well for me, but I don't know why.  Unless it was that the way Maggie Gyllenhaal played her role didn't work, and how could that even be possible?  I've liked her as an actress very much for a very long time.

I personally didn't like the ending but I more or less enjoyed it and The Shadow Line. I think Gyllenhaal is fine but it seems that Hugo Blick's shows basically juggle a bunch of moving pieces and have to hope that you're invested in it by the end. Not surprising he drops them for some people. 

Watched Straight Outta Compton yesterday & I ended up liking it way more than I expected. The only thing that bugged me was how Dr Dre was portrayed as some untouchable superhero.

When Dre comes on it's clear that you're watching a biopic. Nothing he does in the film is removed from the film winking at you because you already know he's going to be successful. This was especially bad in his final scene. 

Since you mentioned it, and I know Theda will come along and say how much she loves it, I'll preemptively say it's crap (at least the first season, I can't believe I made it to the end, but I had no desire to watch season 2).

Damnit; DON'T LISTEN! 

IT'S BRILLIANT, SPARKLY, BLOODY TEENAGE TRASH AND I LOVE IT. 

:P

in many peoples opinions season 2 gets a lot better and this also brings me to ask...

WHERE THE HELL IS SEASON 3?!? It should have been on Netflix by now...

. I watched the entire season of TotL which was good at times but the resolution of the "mystery" was laughable and the commune stuff took me out of every episode.

I concur. TotL was horrible, it started out pretty good. I really liked the setting and the way that played a part in the story, but the story just completely unravelled towards the end. Very mediocre.

Archived